My dad is headed to rehab - advice?

Hi everyone-

I posted a few weeks ago about my dad who had a grade 4 ruptured aneurysm. As I write this he is being transported to an acute rehab hospital after almost 6 weeks in the ICU. We are hopeful that this transition will help him, but we're of course nervous too.

I am wondering if anyone who either went through rehab or helped a loved one get through rehab has any advice for us? What seems to be helpful, what doesn't? Anything we should make sure we do, or anything we should never say? We want to be the best source of support for my dad that we can. This is just obviously new to us.

He's got a long way to go - no movement on his left side, just got off his ventilator a few days ago (still getting a little oxygen through his trach tube), seems very, very tired, although we are very sure he recognizes us. Any advice to help him on this long road would be so helpful.

Thank you!!

Sara

hi Sara! my advice would be patience-i'll never forget when my friend shreeked-he moved his left arm!!!! i was unaware i couldn't & couldn't understand the fuss! this was about at the 3-4 week mark i think. yes he is very tired and yes i think i recognized family and friends. i remember my friend but also recall thinking why are they here?? why am i here?? words didnt mean much so keep repeating if necessary. Also keep tabs with the therapists- this may be difficult tho unless your able to attend the sessions which you probably wont- in which case try to get their phone ext. Let me know if you have any questions ps- i also recall getting ticked at the phsycologist there asking questions- because i had a headache & didnt understand why she was asking the same questions every day, thankfuly she agreed to leave!!! So please be patient, he will improve!! i'll keep your family in my thoughts & prayers!! Please let us know how it goes! he'll probably have many therapists-physical,communication and occupational- they perform miracles-im so happy to hear hes going! thanks for sharing!

Thanks for your continuing advice and encouragement, Ron. I will remember to keep things simple and maybe repeat where he is and why he is there for the first week or two. I imagine that must be very scary if you don't quite understand what happened or where you are.

Thank you Sara for updating us on your dad. It is scary “waking” up and not knowing what’s going on around you. Seemed to me they were over medicating me. Every few hours they were bringing me handfuls of medicine. I stopped them & gave them my medication list. That’s when they told me in addition to the ruptured aneurysm I also had an unruptured one, a urinary tract infection,pneumonia & a slight heart attack. I remember telling the nurse " well fine if I had all that I guess I would behave & take all of their pills."

Thanks, Myra! It is so interesting to hear from people who experienced it. I heard from my mom...she is up with my dad getting him settled at rehab. She said he seems confused and frustrated, which of course broke my heart. Just hoping it all goes ok...

things do go slow and dont expect to much to soon, he will only be able to do so much.