My 33 mm aneurysm and getting back to work

Dear support group,
want to share my miracle. March of 2020 I was in training transitioning to a new aircraft and seat. I’ve been an Airline pilot for 32+ years with a major airline. Before that I was a Navy pilot.
Training of this sort usually lasts 6-8 weeks. I was in my 8-9 week and for the first time in 32 years I was having a difficult time. I kept needing extra time to be ready for my check ride. I’d never had this problem before. About every 4-5 days they send you home for a break because the training is rightfully so very difficult. The night I got home I had a killer headache. Took some Tylenol and fell asleep. The next day I was very tired and took a nap. I was still asleep when my wife got home from work around 6:30 pm. She had a hard time waking me up and when I finally woke up I showed signs of a stroke. My wife’s son is a PARA medic and he advised to call 911. My lovely wife saved my life with that call. Emts came and wisked me off to the hospital. The next morning I went through Endo
Vascular coiling for a 33mm starting to leak aneurysm on my right side communicating artery between my thalamus and Hypothalamus. Also a VP shunt was installed because the golf ball sized aneurysm was acting like a cork in my skull disrupting brain fluid pressure and drainage. I remained in ICU for 23 more days learning to wipe my butt again and not choke on food. Thank God I could still see and talk clearly.
Now 3 years later I can drive myself and my Neurologist and Aviation medical examiner are clearing me to fly again…Yipee😎!! My only issues are fatigue m I used to be very active, and weight gain, about 40lbs😞. As I get back to work I feel weight will shed and energy return. Now I’m just waiting on this poor administrations FAA. To clear me. Both docs give me two thumbs up and the neurologist is head Neurologist for FAA. My company and union both say this dept of transportation is the worst they have worked with in 40+ years. Our country is at a major shortage of qualified pilots.
I look forward to going back to train and exercise my Brain again.
Thanks so much for listening and May God bless you all in you journeys.:pray:t2::heart::+1:

13 Likes

Hey Pilotpacking,
Great to have you dropping by. Sounds like you’re getting yourself back into life. That’s fantastic.

I too have a shunt and that fatigue is common. I think it takes a while for our systems to adjust or maybe it’s us ourselves that learn to manage, but it can certainly throw all of our ‘normals’ for a tailspin. But if you have the medical clearances then all should be fine.

We love to hear a ‘Good Outcome’ story.

Merl from the Modsupport Team

2 Likes

Fantastic news John! Seems there’s a shortage of all types of workers still in all fields since the pandemic. I imagine the FAA has the same issues. Where did they all go?

You’ve been ever so patient in your recovery with lots of kind, encouraging words to others here, thank you for that!

Have you been walking? Seems every time I fly I have to walk a lot and I see pilots walking a lot, though probably not as much as passengers going to their next leg.:rofl:

Let us know when your first flight is, please sir. Safe travels!

2 Likes

wow that is a great success story, thank you for sharing and for your service and continuing service to the transportation system. Please feel Blessed as I was not so lucky and permanently disabled blind left side of both eyes semi paralyzed left side . But i’m trying hard to keep it together. I never flown b4 except the medivac which i was comatose 6 days, I’, a 3x Miracle w SAH, cancer and DVT! I had 2% chance w sah! stay safe and Blessed, tc

2 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement Merl. Hopefully as I get more active I’ll drop the weight and get some energy back. I am 64 so I know I’m not 35-40 anymore. Just before my aneurysm I felt pretty strong at 60. After aneurysm definitely feel older now. Thankful I’m alive.

2 Likes

You bet I will and send a pic of me in the777 cockpit. Please pray when I get medical clearance I do well in training… normally it’s no cake walk. Pray my Brain does well.:pray:t2::us::+1::sunglasses:

4 Likes

You’re in my prayers fellow warrior. God has given you experiences and strengths to help encourage others in their journeys.

2 Likes

Amazing story of survival! As I always say we are blessed

Best of luck back to flying!!

1 Like

So Grateful You have a Miracle to share!
Praying you have a complete recovery and are in that 777 real soon! My son is a pilot so I know how difficult training is, especially after your ordeal. I am confidant you will be well and flying soon!
God Continue to Bless and Keep You🙏🏽

1 Like

Congrats on getting back to work! I had an aneurysm burst at work (which is the company that produces the plane you were being trained on….great airplane!) The CFO of the company helped drag me out of the ladies room. Ten coils and 23 days in ICU, 4 months off work. 4 years later it grew back so they had to put in clips. It takes a while to get back into shape but you can do it!!! Go fly that beautiful 777!!!

3 Likes

Absolutely! Have to tell you though the first thing I thought of when you said training was the Dunker at NAS Pensacola :rofl:. Can’t wait to see the picture of you in that 777!

2 Likes

Pilotpacking, I salute you and your tenacity! I myself a flight attendant with a major US carrier. I was diagnosed with a cerebrum aneurysm and severe stenosis in January 2022 and though untreatable, have been dealing with associated medical issues and hopefully will return to flying in January 2024! I don’t have to tell you how life can change on a dime! On some random Tuesday afternoon. It is how we choose to deal with it! Congratulations on your recovery and on behalf of all of us yet to endure what you have gone through, THANKYOU for sharing your incredible story! I wish you nothing but good health and clear skies! Goldmountain

2 Likes

Pilotpaccking, PS…the 777 is my favorite airplane to work! Goldmountain

1 Like

@Pilotpacking
This is so great to hear, you are among the lucky ones who have signed your second lease of life. I wish you good luck with your clearance to get back to work. Please send us a picture when you are back in the cockpit :wink:. Perhaps you will be the pilot next time I fly…. just came back from a trip overseas, I’m happy to have survived and being able to live my life despite some minor changes.

2 Likes

Congratulations on you going back to work!! This is fantastic news for you and the airline passengers. Thank you for sharing your story and it is amazing to know that you will be flying again soon. I’ve had weight gain after my rupture and still in my recovery, but every day i’m working toward losing weight and enjoying life. Reading your story is an inspiration for us all to know that we can all go back to doing what we love.

2 Likes

God bless you!! what a miracle!! may your healing continue and you’ll be able to return to flying!!

2 Likes

Congratulations fellow survivor. Each day I feel I’ve won the lottery! Good luck in the next chapter.

2 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement Ronk. May God continue to bless you as you press forward in this adventure of life with all its twists and turns.

2 Likes

I know you will do great!! You’ve reached this far for a reason. :slight_smile:

I hope you’re my pilot one of these days!!

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the encouraging words. Nothing would make my day more than flying you to one of our many international destinations.:pray:t2::heart::+1:

1 Like