Murphy's Law, etc

I was going to visit my parents. My group had just been called, and I went to board the plane. I began sweating profusely, and my bag was suddenly much heavier to carry. I figured I’d be fine if I could just get on the plane; then, I could take a nap. It was 8:50 am. I fell on the jetway, and luckily, first responders told me not to move. One of them rolled me onto a crash pad and put me in a neck brace. I remember saying “I can’t miss my plane!” Someone assured me I could get on a later flight. I passed out soon after that. It turns out I had a ruptured brain aneurysm and subarachnoid hemorrhage. The only saving grace was that this entire experience wasn’t painful. I went to the ICU for the next three weeks (I have no memory of this, even though I was responsive). Murphy’s Law was in full effect, though, and anything which could go wrong went wrong. I was restrained in bed, yet I slipped my restraints, fell on my face, and broke my nose. I had vasospasms (which thankfully, didn’t become life-threatening.) I had a bout of pneumonia, required a filter since I had a blood clot, etc. I managed to survive everything, and I began speech, occupational, and physical therapy in the rehab unit for the following two weeks. Eventually, I was discharged from the hospital. I began my outpatient speech and physical therapy. Almost all of my physical symptoms have been alleviated over the last nine months except I still have some double vision, and certain sweet foods have a metallic tang. Also, my balance is not quite back to normal. Otherwise, I have beaten some tremendous odds. However, the emotional/mental adjustment is still ongoing, which was the main reason I wanted to join this group. I wish you all the best with your recovery, and I look forward to supporting all of you.

Thank you so much for sharing your story! It’s incredible. Wishing you all the best in your recovery as I agree the emotional healing is the harder part!

I hope you will feel better and better , the hardest part is behind ,you went through a lot :o …

Hey Stephen,
Sounds like you’ve been to hell and back, so well done you for making the comeback. I went through something similar in the hospital, I don’t think I’d call mine ‘Murphy’s Law’, more that some arrogant sod of a patient (me) wouldn’t listen and although I was told not to, I still did. Ohh dear, what a mess… …but in my case it was self inflicted. No sympathy.

My last surgery was in 2013 and still today I have issues with balance and vision, it does fluctuate. Sometimes I can stand and be OK other times I seem to be able to find the floor with a thud.

As for the emotional side of it all, well, that’s an ongoing problem. Others talk of acceptance like it’s an easy thing, well it ain’t that easy for me. I eventually got to a point where I had to ask for help and went and saw a counsellor. It seems many of my stresses are ‘normal’ because, let’s face it, we’ve been through a very traumatic experience and trauma does some weird things to the body, let alone the brain. The acceptance bit of all of this is not a simple thing, but slowly (I think) I’m getting there, even though I still have daily reminders of ‘Before/After’.

As I’ve said to many members here before, “This ain’t an easy journey and anybody who tells you otherwise has never been here. We know this because we have been there too, so come talk to us”

Merl from the Moderator Support Team

Stephen, thank you so much for sharing your story as others have noted. There are things like yoga and Tai Chi that can help with balance. Both can be done in a chair if need be. For me, I found being positive on healing process helps a lot, as well as understanding the way a brain works. There’s no harm in getting a therapist to discuss issues. Keep up the recovery

Hi Stephen - The emotional part is the hardest. I cry everyday and I find that it helps. We are allowed to grieve since we went through a lot. There are moments when I try to convince myself that I have to be strong for myself and my family. What happened cannot be changed. We have to learn to live with it and enjoy as much as we can the simple things in life. I am having a GOOD day thus far different from yesterday. Yesterday I woke up with a racing heart beat whereas today I feel good. I will grab this opportunity to enjoy the day. I hope that everyone in this group will be able to!
Alma

1 Like

Thanks for writing us your story. I had a similar problem and had to undergo surgical clipping of the ruptured aneurysm. From what you describe it sounds so familiar. I was vacationing, was saved by a former EMT worker and family who helped get me to the ER, then transported to a hospital where the repairs are performed. I am so glad to read that you have beaten the odds. I remembered also how I kept trying to get out of my hospital bed and setting off an alarm. My balance has improved over many months of rehab, mainly walking and patient learning. I am about six months out from the surgery and the improvements are still happening for me.

1 Like

I wanted to thank everyone for reaching out to me. It truly means a a lot.

I hope you are all doing well.

All the best.

2 Likes

Hi, Stephen. Welcome to a very unique group. My experience was similar to yours. March 30th made 31 years ago that I had my surgery to repair a deformed artery, and, a ruptured aneurysm. Like you, I had double vision which took me about 1 month to overcome. There will be many emotional moments, as well as, physical moments. I cry periodically because of my limitations. Funny thing is…I never knew I had many limitations prior to joining the group! I knew that my stumbling “may” have been due to the surgery. I found out through here that it is. I was supposed to have waited 2 years for a full recovery before returning to work or any vigorous activity. I had a new baby (born 3 months after my surgery) to take care of. So, I returned to work I’ve been working ever since. We all have this special God-given journey that no one else but those in this group would understand. Embrace it, and, admire it. Even though we can be restricted, it may save us from heartaches that we don’t see.

Take care,
Rosie

1 Like