“Mumps” after angiogram

After my angiogram, my throat was really scratchy. The following day, my glands on both sides of my throat started to swell and by the third day I became a little frightened as I could barely swallow. By the fourth day things got better. I googled this and learned. It was a rare but documented reaction to the contrast dye used during the procedure. I’m a little anxious about my plan of treatment, which has yet to be disclosed to me, as well as any future angiograms. Can anyone provide more insight into this reaction?

I’m allergic to the contrast dye. Please tell your doctor about your reaction! I was always pre-medicated prior to receiving any angiogram, a night of prednisone and right before I go in, I take a Benadryl. The more angiograms I had, the less my body tolerated the dye so I had to hydrate really well for several months. The Nurse Anesthetist usually gives me a shot, but the last angiogram I had I didn’t get it despite asking several times and was told I’d get it in the procedure room. She didn’t give me the shot and I went into severe anaphylaxis. The first angiogram I had after I ruptured, the Resident insisted no one was allergic to the type of contrast dye used. He was incorrect and the wonderful RN suggested I ask for my doctor on the third call. She already had the Benadryl shot ready when my Neurosurgeon called and was giving me the shot as my Neurosurgeon said to. So again, let your surgeon know!

Thank you so much for this information! I certainly will discuss it with my Neurosurgeon and interventional radiologist!

1 Like