Pre and post Angiograms

I have had 2 angiograms since my diagnosis of my aneurysm. To me these are very painful, Id rather give birth than have this dye shot into my arteries. The angiograms trigger migranes and littlerly put me down for a week. Ive discussed this with my aneurysm DR who says I may just have a sensitivity to the dye. Does anyone else endure extreme pain during the angiogram, like their head is being ran over

I've had no problem with the dye. I do know they do the labs beforehand to make sure your kidneys can handle it. However, I've heard you can become sensitive to the dye even if you've had it before. I would press your dr. about it, because your body is telling you something--I believe. I know that I will be have MRA's for future followups. Maybe you can do the same.

Im hoping someone may have similar pain and can help me understand, thus far everyone tells me they have no problems and bounce back to their normal selves in 24 hours. I do not understand, I littlerly get into tears which each injection of the dye, Ive blacked out the shooting of the dye into the back of my head, my Left arm started shaking during another area when the dye was injected, the meds thru the IV do absolutely nothing and the aftermath pain, makes it painful to laugh, cough, sneeze,....

Hey Kristy,

I too have a reaction to the dye, admittedly not as severe as yours, but a reaction none the less. Firstly a taste sensation like I'm chewing aluminium foil and a massive headache afterwards that lasts the remainder of the day. I maybe able to drive to the appointment for the scan but I am unable to drive afterwards. With the headaches I get it is "...painful to laugh, cough, sneeze,...." anyway normally(if you can call it 'normal'). But add the contrast and "Ohh hell" is the only way to describe it.

I have done some research into these dyes they use and it seems reactions are not uncommon. There are a few differing dyes and the reactions can be everything from minimal reactions to chronic reactions. Admittedly some people have very little to no effects at all and although some medicos like to hold these examples up as the norm, this certainly is not the case for many of us. I have attempted to medicate prior to an appointment to manage the pain prior to the onset but even then the intense headache is still present upon being given the contrast dye. Now, I try to avoid these scans where ever possible.

Here is a link regarding contrasts http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3538464/

Approximately 1/3 of the way down the page is a title "Adverse Reactions to ICAs" which discusses this very subject.

Just know you are not alone in having such reactions.

Merl

Kristy, I’m allergic to the stuff, very allergic. I wonder if the doc thinks you have a sensitivity, if treating as an allergy, giving you the scrips for them, if it will help. Something to think about next time you talk to them.

Merl, great link, thank you so much!

I had my first angiogram yesterday and could not leave the hospital until today due to a violent headache. Kristy, thank you for posting this, because I will investigate dye reaction.

Campanile. Sorry to hear of your reaction. Do take the time to read Merl’s link, it gives a lot of information. Hope you’re feeling better!

I am still in pain with lots of bruising.

with my first one, yes I was in severe pain, even after coming home for at least 2 weeks. It would hurt to laugh, cough, sneeze. The injection site in my groin area by the end of the first week my bruising went down halfway to my knee.. even the Norco 10s @ 4 times a day would barley take the pain away.

Campanile said:

I am still in pain with lots of bruising.

Thanks for the link Merl. I will defiantly read up, since my last angiogram it seems I am developing another "deformity" is what it is being referred to right now, so instead of having a 5 year follow up, I will need another angiogram in another year...I know the angiograms hold a slim chance of having a stroke during the procedure and feel with the pain I feel that my body is defiantly trying to tell me something.

Merl said:

Hey Kristy,

I too have a reaction to the dye, admittedly not as severe as yours, but a reaction none the less. Firstly a taste sensation like I'm chewing aluminium foil and a massive headache afterwards that lasts the remainder of the day. I maybe able to drive to the appointment for the scan but I am unable to drive afterwards. With the headaches I get it is "...painful to laugh, cough, sneeze,...." anyway normally(if you can call it 'normal'). But add the contrast and "Ohh hell" is the only way to describe it.

I have done some research into these dyes they use and it seems reactions are not uncommon. There are a few differing dyes and the reactions can be everything from minimal reactions to chronic reactions. Admittedly some people have very little to no effects at all and although some medicos like to hold these examples up as the norm, this certainly is not the case for many of us. I have attempted to medicate prior to an appointment to manage the pain prior to the onset but even then the intense headache is still present upon being given the contrast dye. Now, I try to avoid these scans where ever possible.

Here is a link regarding contrasts http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3538464/

Approximately 1/3 of the way down the page is a title "Adverse Reactions to ICAs" which discusses this very subject.

Just know you are not alone in having such reactions.

Merl