Mother seeking answers regarding Son's behavior after surviving ruptured aneurysm

Thanks for the input, Keith. I see evidence that he is trying and things are going fairly smooth at the moment. Thanks for the encouragement and prayers.

Pat,

Colby's kidney issue was found and corrected to the fullest extent it could be at age 9. He is doing well at his job at present and we have a friend that works there that knows his situation so she is keeping an eye on him. God has been good and I feel all of the prayers that all of my new friends on this site are sending up. Thanks so much.

Brenda

Brenda,

Colby has been thru a lot from 9 to 13 years. I am delighted for him at his new job...and, you are blessed to have such a wonderful friend...

My prayers are wrapped around you all...

Pat

Well all I can say is that he is undergoing emotional issues as a result of the surgery. I can attest to that as now I get angry faster, not able to tolerate a lot of noise and doing things at one time, like I used to pre-operations. They don’t tell you that as a result of having them go into your brain, there is damage, but they don’t elaborate on that. I am still going through emotional and mental issues that I never had until being diagnosed. I can imagine what he feels inside, depression sets in, and the logical and capable thinking part of the brain is somewhat gone due to brain damage, but that’s what it is. He needs to see a neuropsychologist to evaluated. I also was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder, which is from worrying and reliving my nightmare in 2004. Prayers help, I am living proof, but every day is a challenge for me, as I’m sure it is for your son. Just hang in there, its tough but support comes in all forms. :slight_smile:

Brenda...you and Colby never leave my memory (and, what an oddity that I cannot tell you what I did yesterday...I may have slept most of it....)

Did I ever tell you that a dear, long-term friend, has a grandson who has cerebral palsy? His mother died; his dad and he moved closer to gramma... who still works full time, and fills in between what dad can do... And, has worked on the change from state to state support...even tho there is fed care...it has to follow state requirements...it has been overwhelming...she called me today and told me she got his neuropsych testing set up... he is 22; and his first and last test was at 16 years...in another state...And, because of his age, he is on Medicaid which adds to all the issues/what is paid, etc..

Please keep us informed on Colby...I have so much feeling for him...that at 13 he had not fulfilled his growth...

Hugs,

Pat

ohhhhhhhh dear ,i think he does have minor impairments from it but from what you have written its like what my sons were like at that age lol.He has learnt that to use the aneurysm to get his own way or your sympathy? I would arrange for a screening to be done so you can see what stage his intellect is at,the extent of damage etc.That way you will know exactly whats going on.

take care and look after yourself

xxoo tweeter

Hi Brenda, I know you posted this last January, but I wanted to share a bit about my own behavior since it may fit for you and your son. I discovered my unruptured anuerysms in 2008, right after my youngest sister passed away from hers. One of mine was consequently coiled. I felt as if I was ok–no problems. Thought I was lucky. I was mean to my family. My anger washed over everything. I didn’t see it, but my therapist did. Even with medication for depression and anxiety, my emotions ruled the day! When I wasn’t working, me head was stuck inside the computer, trying trying trying to find a way OUT. Move here, do this, try that. Its four years since the event. This past weekend I broke out in such a crying fit of grief and rage!!! But I thought I was ok??? For me, I was never quite the perfect child that I thought I should be, and the aneurysms certified me as “damaged goods.” I’m speaking this candidly and yet I am aware of how lucky I am to have suffered only emotional injury. Yet all of us seem to minimize the emotional costs and effects. I found the courage to cry and to share this with my family–I begged them to support me and forgive my behavior and to take care of me. Its frightening. And all of the symptoms of memory makes it all the worse. Speaking on behalf of your son, hold him, forgive him, support him, let him know when his behavior is bad, and forgive him again. He’d probably get a lot out of reading all of these responses. It could be a conversation starter. God Bless. Beth.

Hi Pat,

I really appreciate your prayers and concerns. It is amazing that God has placed us on your mind and in your memory. It really does help to know that you and others are praying. Colby is doing alittle better every day. He still has set backs but is really trying.

I know how difficult it must be for your friend. Would you tell her that I will pray for her.

Hope all is going well for you,

Thanks,

Brenda

Thanks for the feedback. Colby was evaluated a month or so ago. He is supposed to be in counseling every week but his work schedule has not allowed for it. We live in a rural area and the availability of these doctors is limited. He does have an appointment next Wednesday. He is doing much better and really seems to be trying. Thanks again for the support. Best Wishes to you and your recovery, too.

Thanks,

Brenda

Thanks so much for the support and concern. Colby is doing much better and really seems to be trying. We have received the results back from his screening and I think the results helped him realize some of the issues he is having.

Hope your son is doing well.

Thanks,

Brenda

Beth,

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I really appreciate your openness and honesty. Colby is doing much better and really seems to be trying. I am trying to be more patient with him, also. I will hold these words close and try to remember them when he has a bad day.

I am glad you were able to open up to your family. Sometimes we just need to hear what is going on with you. I wish he would be able to tell me what is going on with him. Unfortunately, I don't think he really understands it enough to be able to communicate it yet. Hopefully, he will be able to with the help of counselors/psychologists.

Best wishes to you and thanks again for sharing.

Brenda

Hello Brenda, Reading your entry is like a time machine to the future for my situation. My 12-year-old son Shade suffered a hemorrhagic stroke from a burst aneurysm one month ago. He was visiting his sister in San Antonio at the time. We are from Orlando. My wife and I are currently at Santa Rosa Pediatric Rehab Center in San Antonio, living in the hospital as he very slowly recovers. We're probably going to be here through next month until he's able to fly back home. I've documented his entire journey so far at http://shadesprogress.com/

I'm worried about how my son is going to come out of this personality-wise. Currently, he can only nod his head yes and no, so we aren't sure in what way his personality has been affected. I guess we'll find out soon enough. It's a strange adventure that we never expected.