Teenager with ruptured aneurysm

My 14-year-old son had a ruptured aneurysm about 3 weeks ago...still doesn't seem real. Although his physical healing is nothing short of miraculous, it is taking longer for him to recuperate mentally. And, I am concerned about his long-term prognosis. What happens in 5 years? 10 years? Will this reoccur? Will he need to be reclipped at some point? Scary questions, and no one seems to have answers about kids his age. I am hoping to connect with others who may have had a similar experience.

I was 19 years old when my aneurysm ruptured...it's a long battle.

I am 28 now, with a husband and a wonderful son!(two actually..one is my stepson!).

Healing is definitely difficult..it is a long process and it can be very scary at times. I had many of the same worries as a survivor as you do as a parent. Honestly, my parents were great..they couldn't give me any answers and they couldn't give me any advice but they were always there just to hold my hand. I felt alone for a long time..matter of fact at times I still feel alone. As a survivor the one phrase I can honestly tell you that I hate is when people refer to when I was "sick"..I was never sick..I never had a cough..I never needed cough medicine...and recovering was definitely not as easy as a simple cold.

You're doing great..just be there for your son and guide him. I am here if he would like to email me any questions..and to answer your question about the recovery...it will become routine.

Thanks for the very thoughtful message. My son is working his way through his sophomore year, and just had his homecoming last weekend...he is doing remarkably well. I think sometimes people forget what he went through (including us) because he HAS done so well. He struggles with crushing fatigue, and depression...I agree that feeling alone is something he struggles with.

I am so happy for you and YOUR wonderful boys...it gives me hope that he can keep moving on, slow and steady, and enjoy the journey.

Just remember…,“Life doesn’t have to be PERFECT, to be WONDERFUL.”