Life after coiling and craniotomy

Wow Janet. My neurosurgeon told me that nothing is 100% and that there is a chance that the coils may compress. He did give me the statistics and I honestly didn't think they would compress and I would need a craniotomy 6 years later. I believe that the increased blood volume during my second pregnancy contributed to the compression. He said that it can't be ruled out. It is one of those things that we will never know for sure. Currently, I am the only patient of his that had to have a craniotomy after the 5 year follow-up period. I am a "special" case which makes me feel a little uneasy, but it is what it is. I pray to God that the aneurysm is treated for good and no more surprises. If there is a surprise, I hope to God it isn't massive. I didn't experience any disabilities with the rupture, but have a 3rd cranial nerve palsy with the unruptured. Have faith and yes this website is a great resource. Good luck!

Hello Karen!

Yes, the whole aneurysm thing is always in the back of my mind, daily....I wonder if I'm going to have to deal with this sort of thing every few years from here on (as thats been about the time delay inbetween times,: age 36. age 44, and age 47) And this year Ill; be 51 years old--and I'm getting paranoid as I've noticed my right eye dialated while the left is pinned--(had that symptom before the coils compacted on me in 2010) , --I recently came across my doctors report of 1998, and for the first time I noticed something chilling that the Radiologist had pointed out in his report of the first angiogram, and that was something to the effect that he noticed "something that is not YET an aneurysm " (then went on to say which artery he saw as a suspect), --and he was right on the money indeed. Never was this ever mentioned to me by my Neurosurgeon in 1998...I had no idea until literally no more than a month ago when I sat down and really READ the report-that sure enough, the Radioligist noted something he felt was unusual way back then.

I have made an appointment to see my Neurosurgeon from the 2010 surgery this coming Tuesday the 19th, as he had told me in 2010 that it really didn't matter what my insurance situation was, that I should see him as he is my Dr. (I'm NOT insured, needless to mention probably!) ...So lets hope his office staff understands the same thing and waives the $400.00 office fee! We'll see ! And like others have noted on this site, many people seem to have run into the same situation of super medical care/surgical intervention, after which becomes zero medical care / you're on your own. Thank God for this website, I've definately been re-educated to (Re-) Realize that yeah, this could happen again . I hope and pray Karen that there's nothing lurking in the shadows when it comes to your health, stay positive and just keep a keen eye on the (what can be) a wide array of varied forewarnings--at least you know that it can happen again, better to have a clue then none at all, and here you can ask questions if you think something might be amiss ...(And get real answers from real people who've been down the same road) ! Peace, Janet

Hi everyone who I have been in contact with, Re, results, everything is fine, the coils that where put in 4 & a half yrs ago are a complete cure & will not cause any other problems & the tiny annie I have has not grown, what was found is wear & tear on the neck discs that can be treated with injections & phisio, so good news all round, I think I will always be paranoid after the experience I had 5 years ago but know I have to move on & not stress so much, easier said than done, love & prayers to anyone going through coiling or clipping at the moment, Brenda...xxx

My heart goes out to you.You have two beautiful kids.As Mum’s you get fight spirit of being “ok”.you seem to have faith and I will say some prayers for and complete healing.You have come long ways.God Bless each steep you take.:gift_heart: