Is this normal?

My mom is 75 and had a sah on 5/3/13. Since Thanksgiving she won’t do anything except lay in bed and eat and go to the bathroom. I can get her to go to a local gym to shower once a week and we swim too but no more than once every 7-10 days. I try to take her to gym more than that but she won’t go. She won’t help fold clothes or do anything (that she is capable of doing). I feel like she is giving up. She is getting weaker and weaker and gaining more weight. She refuses to return to work as he owns a
Business with my dad that they built. She is depressed and her Dr prescribed antidepressants but she won’t take them. Is this normal for 8 months out? I don’t know whether to pus her to do what she doesn’t want to, or just let her laying bed and work thru it. If I do the latter, she will lose the little bit of strength she has. She quit speech therap and that is slipping also. Thoughts please?

Hi Dee...I think you need to have some intervention and/or help...I am not sure where to direct you other than to our BAF website page...it has so much information for even caregivers...if you click below there are phone number to get help for a caregiver...good luck...you have my prayers...~ Colleen

Either go to the top of page and click on BAF Website

Click below...for phone numbers

http://www.bafound.org/resources-caregiving

Keep us posted ~ Colleen

Dee...

I have a personal friend who was also apx your mother's age...and, so perky initially...and, I have watched her go down year after year...One evening, I picked her up for her birthday dinner...and, I sensed tings...got home and called her daughter...who was there the next AM...took her into ER...who admitted/kept her for several days... the first signs /and diagnosis...of kidney issues...over a coule of years, she is now in assisted living...Prior to that, I had noticed some differences in phone conversation while she was out of state...and, I could not then get her to address any specifics...any symptoms...

Have you addressed her condition/changes with her neurologist and/or PCP? Was she referred to, assigned to, a neurologist? Some (likely, many) of us are not referred to neurologists up front...however, a number of them push pills before really really viewing the records...

I am a non-pill popper...so am not a good / grand member to be responding to many others...Each time, before a pill is being pushed...need to really read the contraindications if any other meds are being taken...and potential other potentials...allergies, etc...

How did she quit speech therapy? As outpatient...or home hellth care? What did the therapist and some doc recommend at that time?

Had your mother had a f/up angio for status between May and November?

When did the slipping back begin?

Of family, friends, history of activities...what she did like to do...can any be re-opened?...what about sharing pictures w/her...from the old fashioned albums to the (word blanking)...electronic sets now available... what about a special pet...or a new one? Those things that could spark memory?

I so know, think of the aphasias...and, the connection to speech therapy...

Prayers for you, your mother...all your family/friends...

Pat