Is a CT scan enough?

Is an MRI always necessary or can all the diagnostics be done with CT scans? I know many (most?) people have MRIs and angiograms in addition to CTs but I am too afraid to get in the MRI, even with a sedative. Does anyone have experience going through their process with CTs and avoiding an MRI?

For me, the CT scan identified a large mass, but I needed an MRI to determine that the mass was an aneurysm. This was followed by a cerebral angiogram to provide more detail so that coiling could be done. I have found with the MRI if my eyes are covered I do quite well. Your family doctor will likely prescribe a sedative.

Please do the MRI if needed! I needed yet another test, I believe it was a CTA to find my Aneurysm! I kept my eyes closed during the MRI and counted, that helped me!

CT scan is usually the first step, followed by MRI if needed. It sounds like you have enough evidence to skip the CT and go right to the MRI. There’s nothing to be scared about, they’re non-invasive and easy, you just lay there. If tight spaces are an issues speak to your doctor about a mild sedative as Ida suggested.

azurelle

CTs and MRIs show different things. When one ruptures, the ER docs request a CT because of they can be done faster. They are looking for the blood spilling into or around the brain. CTs I’ve been told, is like getting 40-50 (or more) xrays of your brain, at one time, if they use the lowest possible level to see what they need to see.

You have been so brave in sharing your fears and your history with us. Share them with your doctor and see if they can help you with both. There’s a way around this hill.

The MRI is critical. Perhaps you are somewhere near a facility that offers an open MRI? Mine ruptured prior to going to the hospital, and I also had to get a spinal tap. And now every few years I get a follow-up MRI to make sure there the platinum in my head is remaining in place.

My rupture occurred before there were CTA scans. On my 5 year anniversary I had a CTA. I have a friend who was recently diagnosed with an aneurysm via MRI, then MRA. Her neurosurgeon showed her the aneurysm and agreed she needed surgery but first he wanted her to have a CTA. The CTA results did not show the aneurysm, and he told her it must have been a glitch. She continued on and found a neurosurgeon who performed an angiogram which confirmed the aneurysm. He explained to her that because of the location it could not be seen by CTA (anterior). As far as I’m concerned, MRI/MRA is the way to go.

1 Like

I can tell you when my knee was giving me trouble, the doctor told me NO MRIs ever

Pre-aneurysm surgery, I had several CT Scans after having at least a dozen regular x-rays. Regular x-rays showed “something” on my cerebral films. The CT was a little clearer, but, my neurosurgeon could not figure out where the mass was exactly, how big it was, and, what exactly it was. An angiogram was performed, but, it was still not as definitive. The MRI was the last resort. It was VERY clear on what exactly was going on, where it was, and, how big it was. Of course, back then my experience was in 1988. There were only 4 MRI machines available in the world. During my experience with the MRI, they played the radio and I was jamming to “Islands In the Stream” (Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton). I fell asleep during my MRI.

Post-surgery, because I have the clip, I cannot have an MRI. The magnetics of the clip is extremely dangerous for me to have an MRI. (There should be some form of identification for those of us with clips to wear, as I was in a very bad automobile accident in 2001, and was MINUTES from having an MRI done. If my parents had not of arrived 10 minutes before they took me, I would be dead now.)

Hope my response helps.

1 Like

Hey! How are you doing?! Might want to tell folks why the doctor told you “no MRI’s ever”

Thanks for all the replies! I was kind of hoping I could avoid an MRI because I am extremely claustrophobic, and even with Valium I can’t manage it. I’m not sure what to do b/c just looking at the helmet they place over your face gave me a full-blown panic attack and I had to leave. I looked at the open machines but since I can’t lookout the sides, the “open” machine doesn’t do any good. It’s also twice as long. Worrisome!

This is interesting to me as with all the MRIs I have had in the last five years, I’ve never worn a helmet. I wonder what its for?