Can't do an MRI

I am extremely claustrophobic, and even with Valium I can’t manage an MRI. I’m not sure what to do b/c just looking at the helmet they place over your face gave me a full-blown panic attack and I had to leave. I looked at the open machines but since I can’t lookout the sides, the “open” machine doesn’t do any good. It’s also twice as long. Is there anyone else who couldn’t do an MRI and found another alternative or has everyone managed to do it? Really at a loss. Any info or shared experience would be helpful.

I’m not sure what everyone else goes through, but I have not had an MRI at all up to this point. I had a rupture and didn’t know I had an aneurysm until that point, but even my follow up at 1 year is an angiogram. I had 2 of them while I was in the hospital, one to confirm where the aneurysm location was before surgery and then one a week or so after surgery to make sure everything was ok. I’m not sure if I will eventually switch to MRI after clear (hopefully) angiograms, or if they will just continue doing the angios.

1 Like

MRIs are not my favourite experience, but I have found a way of coping. I make sure that my eyes are covered. That way I have my eyes open and not see the machine. I have had two MRIs; one which revealed the mass was an aneurysm and another after the coiling/stent procedure to see that everything was good. This week I have the third MRI as a followup to the coiling. I had an angiogram before the procedure in order for the doctor to have more detail than the MRI provided. Hopefully, the doctors can find the procedure that works for you.

I’ve had about a dozen MRIs (it could be more) since my rupture. I’ve always had one before an angiogram, I think its what prompts the angiogram. Also have always had an MRI before an office visit. Initially it was every few weeks, then got to be every six months, then every year, now finally two years.

Wow! That is a lot of MRIs! I guess every doctor does things very differently. I had CTs done before my follow up appointments at 1 and 3 months, and am having just an angiogram for my 1 year follow up in June. Still no MRI, but I do hope that at some point maybe we can switch to that instead of the angios. I have been nervous about the angiogram since the day I scheduled it.

I think you"re absolutely correct that every doctor does things differently. I get nervous the day before an angiogram, and maybe the day they call and tell me that I have to have one. It’s the unknown, isn’t it? For me, it was because it felt like every time I had an angiogram, I would just have to go back in for a re-coiling. The last angiogram was done, she told us she would not do another coiling as it appeared stable. What I do when I get nervous is to keep busy. I try to exercise, do a little gardening, get a project or two completed, things like that. Since I no longer have the ability to focus on more than one thing, it makes it easier, can’t think of an upcoming procedure if I’m doing something.

I think everyone hates those MRI. But I do know it does help the surgeon on making sure he sees everything possible.
For me I did have a MRI with the helmet on also. It was to keep my head from moving during the scan. And what got me through it was…
It was open MRI,
They talk to me during the scan so when I started felling closed up, they would talk and let me know that they were there and always asked if I wanted to take a break,
Please note that any time you feel like you just want to get out, you can let them know and they will help you.
You can also bring or pick out music to listen to.
I think for me knowing they were there and them talking to me and letting me know, just few more mins, made such a difference…please just ask them to help you…they can talk to you through the whole thing.
You got this…:+1:

Sofzina,
Thank you for sharing this! Did they “lock” the helmet into place or just close it without securing it? Can they take you out–like five minutes and then a break, without ruining the scan?

I have not had any coiling, but I think it really just is the unknown. I also don’t remember the angio being a pleasant experience. I have been trying to have the attitude that I survived a rupture and brain surgery, I can handle just about everything. Which to some extent is true, but I just survive a lot of things with more anxiety. I do stay busy as I have 2 children and my husband and 2 jobs and my husband works 60-80 hours a week so I am on my own a lot of the time running. No time to think, until I lay down in bed at night. I think once its over and I (hopefully) get the all clear, I will feel a lot better.

msussman, My experience is once they start an MRI, you have to stay in for the duration or they have to reset it. At least that is what I’ve always been told. I have never had an open MRI so I really don’t know the difference, perhaps the open ones can be started and stopped. I really hope sofzina gets back to you on that. The teaching hospital I go to does not have the ability to pipe in music which sucks. I don’t let the tech put in the earplugs they provide, I can do it better myself. If you know how to put in earplugs you’re ahead of the game, if not, practice.

I do an annual MRA, not as claustrophobic. I yoga-breathe, which helps to center myself, when in the machine. I also wear earplugs, because of the noise, which is not too terrible, but noticeable. I’ve had 3 now, 2016, 17 nd 18. My rupture was ion Sept 2015. Try to breathe and meditate. It will help. Prayers out.

I had 12 brain operations. I used to have MR, a few years ago I started having problems. Nothing worked. I have started having CT scan and angiography instead.

I hated MRI or anything that refines me in a box. Sigh! The only thing I could share with you is that I tried NOT to peak or look as soon as I lie down. The more I look, the more I feel like I will die during the process, earthquake, fire, or simply panicky attack.

Then, when I closed my eyes, I started singing “Where is pinky, where is pinky, here I am…” the most silly song that I could remember is this ‘mind dead’ song but effective enough to take me to my kindergarten days - nice and easy.

I once tried some other types of songs that the tech had provided, but they didn’t work for me. It only worked when my mind was in a total control - I sang, sang, and sang all the way (maybe 100 times?) till the end.

I wish the best for your MRA or CTA.

My friend has the worst reaction that I know of. He also couldn’t get into the elevators either. Tech has to tranquilize him for any ‘confined’ procedures. He said he’ll try to sign some silly songs.

Wishing you the best.

The alternative of not having it cured me. Also, the contrast dye can ruin your kidneys. I also have lupus so if you have any autoimmune problems, tell your doctor.

From the get go I keep the machine behind me, I get in place and then close my eyes and basically meditate. I do not sneak a peek when they put on the helmet, instead I picture myself laying on the beach but I have my eyes closed against the very bright sun overhead. I think about anything and everything, like remembering all the lyrics to an old favourite song, thinking about the noise or procedure is off limits and if I find my mind wandering that direction I reel it back in real quick. I do not open my eyes until the procedure is complete and I am out with helmet already removed. Absolutely no peeking allowed is my unbreakable rule.

I do not know if there are other options but I do hope you find something you can work with.

1 Like

Have had many yet still claustrophobic. , never had a helmet over my face. ,Just secured on sides with soft something. I hate them but need the results. Tried open ended no different for me. Just grin and bear it. , Envy those that go in no problem. Refuse sedation I react to meds

Yes you have to do the time once started but my panic is don’t want to be forgotten in there. But realize I can remove myself panic attack. But need this test.

Music helps me. I also recite scripture that I have memorized. (Having something to concentrate on like someone said earlier.) Also I try to be thankful that it is a MRA instead of an angiogram. Techs have usually been kind and understanding! Time does seem to move extra slowly! All the best as you have this test!

1 Like

Hello, I too am claustrophobic and you just need to have them give you more sedation and make them wait until it kicks in. Insist on it and do not let them rush you. Bring someone with you as your advocate and have them tell them that if they get impatient because of their schedule then you want to see the clinic manager. I am a Medical Assistant in training. What helps me is if I make them put me in slowly while I self talk to myself. If you feel the clips that hold the helmet you can feel how they easily pop open to reassure yourself that you are not trapped and that you can also slide out under it. You have to tell yourself you can. And every time you panic tell yourself you are not trapped. I am allergic to the dye and so it’s double fear for me and that is how I do it.

If you reply to me at ■■■■ I will get you through that MRI.