Cat Scan vs MRI

What is the difference between what a Cat Scan shows and what an MRI shows? Is one “better” than the other for diagnosis? I am so claustrophobic that I can not get in an MRI machine, especially with the “helmet” locked over my face. I’ve had addiction problems in the past so I can really take Valium. The open machine doesn’t work for me, either because you have to stay in twice as long and you still have the helmet. Is a cat scan enough?

Based on my experience in the fall of 2018, a CT scan was not enough. It identified a large mass, but it was not detailed enough to determine if the mass was an aneurysm or a tumor. Therefore, I had an MRI which determined that the mass was an aneurysm. This was followed by a cerebral angiogram which gave an even more detailed image of the aneurysm. I found that keeping my eyes covered helped with the MRI. That way I could open my eyes and not see the part of the machine over my head. I have since had successful coiling/stent treatment of the aneurysm. All the best, in the diagnosis of your condition. Hopefully, they will figure out a way for you to have the MRI, if they decide it is necessary to make a diagnosis.

Ct is fast and easy , but if I don’t mistake its much more radiation in this test . I am claustrophobic , it was very hard to do MRI for me , but I tried to turn off my mind and focus on different thoughts . You have button in you hand in case you really feel bad you can push it and test will be stopped .

From what I understood all those tests shows picture in different ways . In some cases they need CT in others MRI , sometimes they need everything ( I did everything : mRI, Angiogram and CT with contrast before doctors made a decision )

My NeuroSurgeon explained that CT scan is effective in determining a brain bleed (SAH) where as MRI is effective in determining the aneurysm. Angiogram is the gold standard for detailed view of the aneurysm. So, in my case, CT scan revealed that I suffered a brain hemorrhage when I was rushed to the ER. MRI determined that it was a ruptured aneurysm. I had 2 post surgery angiograms to check the integrity of the coiling.

1 Like

CT’s use radiation, MRI uses magnetic resonance I’ve had so many CTs, one doctor said I could light up the county with the radiation I’ve been exposed to. 2Fight explained it really well, here’s a site https://www.asnr.org/patientinfo/

1 Like