Husband recovering from ruptured aneurysm-need advice

Hello- My 61 yr old husband had surgery for a ruptured aneurysm on April 4th. He came home on April 19th. Through the miracle of God, the only issue he is having is the confusion, paranoia, etc. Physically he is fine. I realize it will take time for his brain to heal. I am having a hard time seeing him like this, I feel helpless. He is so frustrated and doesn’t understand why he is so mixed up.

I’ve been told speech therapy would help him with the long term/short term memory. His short term memory isn’t there right now. His long term memory is there, it’s just that all of the memories over all these years get all mixed up. Sometimes he does remember something recent or he does realize he keeps asking the same questions. It’s like he’s “in and out” sometimes.
How long should I wait until looking into speech therapy? I feel like now is too early because it hasn’t even been a month since surgery.

He also sleeps a lot. I know that is part of the healing. I let him sleep. But he always wakes up once or twice in the middle of the night. Like he’s wide awake. And he’s always hungry so I make him something light to eat. He eats fine during the day. I don’t understand why he wakes up at these godawful hours hungry? Should I just let him sleep most of the day or wake him up after a few hours? Again, it hasn’t been a month since his surgery, so I know a lot of my questions my be premature. He’s really confused when he wakes up, I assume that it because he’s been having a bunch of funky dreams.

When he is asking me questions that have to do with a mixed up old memory (and the memories are correct-just mixed up), should I just go along with it or should I let him know how the event actually occurred? That seems to make him more frustrated when I do that. If I go along with what he thinks, sometimes he askes further questions and I end up telling him what really happened because it’s as if he knows I’m not being truthful with him.

Should he be on an antidepressant? I’ve heard survivors should have this as one of their medications because they will get depressed.

It’s very stressful for me and is ramping up my anxiety. Plus I’m tired all the time because of being woke up in the middle of the night.

I would appreciate any advice or guidance. God Bless all of you.

1 Like

Thank you for posting! Caregivers are very dear to me, y’all have a tough, hard road. Interestingly, BH was the one who suffered PTSD from my rupture, whilst I did not. BH was told every day for 21 days, they didn’t think I’d make it to the next day. They didn’t tell me that of course.

Traci, remember to breathe and breathe deeply. I ruptured and have never been on anti depressants. That’s not quite true, decades before I ruptured my PCP put me on one believing that due to my career choice, I needed to have one, it made me depressed within about two weeks. She stopped it faster than I can type. Remember none of us recover the same or in the same time frame. Yes there are similarities, but there are a lot of differences as well. It’s probably due to the areas of our brain that got hit the hardest and how hard they were hit.

Being in NSICU is exhausting. The RNs have to check on us every 15 minutes, it’s a busy place, loud and depending on the NSICU unit, there may not be much privacy so we hear everybody’s business. Then there’s all the rounds from various Residents. For me, it was more than just am and pm rounds. There’s also the noise from other patients and their visitors, mostly the visitors. When I ruptured the NSICU was more of an open barracks style with just curtains between the patients and I think three private rooms that were utilized. The clacking of shoes on the floor from visitors would always wake me up. I recall one gentleman came up to me said he was a deacon and asked if he could do anything for me. I think he wanted me to ask him to pray, but I said yes, please take those metal heel plates off, they give me a headache. My head hurt all the time, his way of walking just made it hurt more. 3 of my medical team had to walk away. They were still laughing when they came back. They explained he was wanting to pray for/with me and I said he should have asked that question but he didn’t did he?:rofl:. It was one of the personality changes that developed, I take everything literally and still to this day do not understand innuendos.

His brain is still in the very early stages of healing and it is using an amazing amount of energy which is my bet on another reason he is waking up through the night, I would suggest you may need to speak to a RDN but try to get more protein in. I wouldn’t eat in NSICU, because I don’t eat if I don’t feel good. I have always been that way. I was threatened with a feeding tube by BH. The staff had called and said that was the next move so BH told me over the phone either eat or get a feeding tube. They sent an RDN in and she explained I had to have at least 90 gms a day. She ordered ice cream that had 30 gms of protein in it that I liked, 3 times/day. Of course one of the doctors, Dr. Walker and EB, a med student came in and said I had to eat a meal before I could get the ice cream. The RDN did give me some and I actually liked it. It sure sounds like I was childish doesn’t it, but whatever works…To this day, I still need a significant amount of protein or my brain doesn’t work well. So I use protein drinks and bars to supplement my meals. Hydration is also a must for me. For every angiogram I’ve had my rules have remained the same Gatorade (3 bottles I think they’re 32 ounce) and twice that in water, for three months, sometimes six months.

Theoretically, your husband can start speech therapy as soon as he is stable which he is because he came home. I think it was about nine months after I came home because I was exhausted and sleeping all the time that I was able to endure ST which is also exhausting. I had to be able to concentrate. I also had my second repair attempt six months after I ruptured. It’s something that would be an excellent question for his doctor, as he will need an order written. I can’t remember if I started PT (probably) or ST first, I received neither in hospital. Whatever I needed, I just asked Dr. Quintero -Wolfe and tell her where to send the order. The PCP I had at the time wasn’t any help, I have since changed PCPs. Depending on where you reside and where he was hospitalized, the Neurosurgeon may not be familiar with services available for your husband. Don’t be surprised if his surgeon passes him on to his PCP.

For me, the frustration was my brain wasn’t working the way it had always worked. I knew it wasn’t working right but I couldn’t explain it so other people could understand. I just called it “brain black” as it was literally a black hole. I couldn’t visualize, my words were wrong, if someone gave me a word and it wasn’t the correct word, my brain shut down and no words could come. We met a Moderator and it was her husband who knew what was going on with my brain, I had no awareness of thought processing. I thank them everyday for that.

When I look back to those first few years, I have come a long way. Three years ago, I didn’t have that ability. BH would very gently correct my memories if they were incorrect. We’ve been together for over 29 years now. My memory used to be really, really good, now not so much. There are a lot of tricks to improving memory, some I learned here, some in ST. I have to look at the calendar on my phone first thing in the morning to know what I’m supposed to do if I have appointments, etc. I use the notes app for chores and the like.

If you’re able to, try taking a nap during the day. Even a 15 minute Power Nap helps greatly. If your husband is able, have him get a snack when he wakes up in the middle of the night. Gaining some sort of independence is a great thing for those of us who’ve ruptured. I’m not allowed to cook unsupervised to this day, but I have things in the cabinets and in the fridge I can eat or drink as I see the need. Early on BH would make up small containers of fruit and cheese, sometimes meat that I could have whenever I wanted.

As always, I’ve written too much. Thank you again for posting and remember we are here for you!

1 Like

Tic4Pit,
You are doing great. First let me say that. This is a tough road for both of you. Both of you talking about it together could help. Your husband sounds like he is going through some of what I went through. My rupture put me in a comma for 10 days, so I didn’t have to deal with the hospital business consciously. When I became aware of reality, it was a very different reality from where I was before the burst. I had just finished college and had trained myself to remember names, people’s information, so I could always greet people recognizing them and make them feel special. I woke up knowing people’s faces, but no one’s name–not even my fiancé’s. I couldn’t read, couldn’t spell, couldn’t remember simple words. Like your husband, I was (and still do when I am tired) fighting short term memory loss and the loss of my past. I ended up living with my mother for six months and she was a God send.

What I recall most was her patience. She would push me by talking about family history, or business, or what is happening in the world, but she also calmly explained things when I couldn’t remember. She would bring out the pictures. Sometimes I would get frustrated, but mostly I was calm then. Just absorbing and not really questioning what was happening or why. My mother’s patience really helped with that. Her calm voice telling me stories of when I was a kid brought back snippets of memory. They didn’t come back all at once. For me, it was like I was reliving my life. I remembered my history in a very similar schedule to how it happened, just a lot quicker than reality. And there is still some memory lost, but the general life story came back as if I was reading it. I couldn’t remember what happened when I was 12 until I had “read” what happened up to when I was 11. Make sense? Showing your husband pictures, sharing stories you shared together, may help him start to puzzle them together correctly.

I also quickly realized that I needed to learn the language all over again (after finishing a degree in English!), and one of my strengths was adaptability. You ask about your husband going to a speech therapist. I recommend he start with one as soon as possible. Mine helped me see what I was missing and ways to adapt. If I couldn’t think of a word, I could explain the word or think of another appropriate word or recall by association. An example: one of the pictures I had to identify was a folded triangle shaped thing, though I had been around them my whole life from travel to the islands as a child, I could only remember the word “fan” when I thought about the ceiling fan above. Letting myself develop my own ability to adapt to this new world of word challenge gave me the strength to believe I could and I still have to use it to this day (30 years later).

You talk about sleep patterns. Yep, they are off. Think about the sleep habits of a baby. They may sleep 16 hours a day, but they aren’t 16 connected hours. This rebirth your husband is going through is similar. When his mind is tired, he will need to sleep. But a regular sleep pattern will probably return – though as Moltroub says, we all heal differently – if you keep your husband busy and focused on something that interests him, he may desire to stay awake just a bit longer each day and return to a more regular evening sleep. But be patient on that. What I found is that if I had one busy day out doing errands or seeing people, the next day had to be quiet and solo.

As for food, how is his weight? I found that I lost quite a bit while in a comma and kept losing even after release. 10 days in a comma made my body “clean”. Recognizing I was a vegetarian then (vegan now), and everything I ate was simple, I was still eating a lot, I felt. I felt hungry. What helped was drinking a lot of water. My body couldn’t handle anything with caffein, no alcohol, no chemicals, nothing processed. And nothing loud – no raw carrots, for example. So I had jars of unsweetened apple sauce, whole grain bread, chick peas, etc., available as simple snacks. I could get it myself, regain taking care of myself, and quelled the hunger any time of the day or night and still be safe. My mother was in business, I couldn’t disturb her sleep habits too greatly or she wouldn’t be able to work well.

I’m not a big promoter of antidepressants, personally, but I do understand they help some people. If possible, start helping him work through these new challenges by being an ear to his concerns, a warm hug when he is frustrated, a partner on simple walks in a beautiful park, and a protector of his private time when others want to invade his space with too much care and energy. And don’t be afraid to take your own walks sometimes. Give yourself some time away from his demands and other people’s smothering care.

Like Moltroub, I wrote more than I expected or intended, but perhaps this too-lengthy tale helped both of you fall asleep! :slight_smile: Please know, you are both doing great. Each day is a new journey and we are all here to hold your hand in support.

2 Likes

Hi KrysG,

This is very helpful actually. My husband had his brain surgery on April 4th. So just about a month ago. He is able to read, write comprehend on most things-somethings that might be a little more complicated, I just have to break it down slowly and he gets it. But then forgets the conversation shortly after which is his short term memory issue. However, he knows faces, names, family friends, etc. On the other hand, you can be having a perfectly normal conversation about something, then he will insert a comment into the conversation that makes no sense.

As far as his long term memory, he is remembering everything from childhood- dogs, family, friends. But his brain seems to be bringing up all these memories at once and making him think it’s real time. He is always thinking people have come over, he swears his mom has been here (she’s in heaven). He understands she’s in heaven, but doesn’t understand why he thinks he has physically seen and talked to her. I told him that his mom is on his mind a lot and he is having very vivid dreams about her. Being born again Christians, I also believe his mom is visiting him in his dreams, so that is why it seems so real to him. He always thinks someone is in our house (a family member), or someone is coming over. Which is never the case.

One thing I’m not sure how to react to is he thinks he is seeing his old dogs from years ago here at our home, like he went and picked them up and brought them here. That is new. Or he will leave the room and come back and tell me I was one place, when I wasn’t. He will insist he saw me there. This morning I was sleeping on the couch which he saw, but then he took a shower and when he came back to the living room, he said he thought I left even though I was on the couch when he went in the shower. So his brain is playing tricks on him that way. Is that also normal?

We went to see his PCP last week and she thought he might be anemic because he looked pale. We had bloodwork done on Monday and will see her on Thursday to review the labs. His sister is anemic and so was his mom, so I don’t know if it’s genetic. But if he is anemic, that on top of his brain healing, will definitely make him sleep a lot and have no energy.

His appetite is fine, but I would say I need to add some vegetables and maybe fruit. Before the aneurysm he was never a fruit or vegetable eater so this is a challenge. I figure I will buy one of those ready made salads in a bag and have it eat that with his dinner. It’s better then nothing. Have to figure out the fruit part of it.

I don’t like leaving him if I don’t have to because I don’t want him to wake up and I’m not here, or I don’t trust him to not go in the garage and start climbing around to get to stuff or whatever. I try to get him to go in the backyard or the front yard for a little bit just to get fresh air and some sun. He doesn’t have the energy to go for a short walk yet and just going to the Dr takes a lot out of him right now.

He realizes he asks me the same questions over and over and he also knows what my answer will be, this frustrates him because he doesn’t understand why he keeps asking if he knows the answer. I explain that he had a brain aneurysm and his brain is working really hard to get all of his thoughts/memories back in order. I told him the fact that he recognizes he is asking the same questions, is a good thing. He is just very frustrated and is over the whole “brain fog” feeling. I just keep reassuring him that it will get better, he has been improving a little each day, and we will get through it together.

I’m glad I found this group so I can hear from other people who have suffered the same injury and hear what you went through and how you have adjusted.

Thank you so much for responding! :slight_smile:
Traci

2 Likes

@tlc4pit
I have to remind you that it takes A LONG TIME TO RECOVER. Your husband had a ruptured aneurysm not even one month ago. When I ruptured, I was among the few lucky ones that came out of it without any major complications. Even though I seemed to be fine, I was very exhausted and needed to sleep a lot, and I took naps during the day. My husband helped me to measure my progress in weeks and months when I was sad and I thought I would never be my old self. I remember that my neurosurgeon told me that the brain heals most during the first year, but it doesn’t stop there, it only heals slower.
It is good that you are in contact with your PCP and can discuss what’s going on.
Remember to make notes now and then, so you can compare his progress over time.
Also, it seemed to me that I didn’t have a “filter” between my thoughts and my actions or what I said. I got better and back to normal after a while, but I don’t remember how long time it took.
I’m glad that you found us, we are all trying to help.
Take care

2 Likes