How long to recover?

Hello everyone! I am a newbie to this site. I'll try not to be too long winded with my story.

I am 40 years old. I WAS seemingly healthy until last month. My dad passed away in June. On July 2, 2014, I did experience a "different" headache, but not one to take me to my knees. I chalked it up to stress. The headache lingered a few weeks, no meds helped. That's all I had for warning signs!

On August 3, 2014 I was weed whacking in my yard and got an instant sharp sharp sharp pain in my eye/forehead/sinus area. As soon as I could say "Mom, I need help, something is wrong with me", I fell and went unconscious. I had a seizure I guess, my speech slurred like I was drunk, delirious, vomiting, etc.

EMS thought I had heat exhaustion and had been drinking, so they didn't exactly rush to the ER. At the ER, my sister who is a medical assistant, told the doctor I had not been drinking and that there was seriously something wrong with me. CT scan showed Frontal bilobed aneurysm had ruptured and there was a tremendous amount of blood. I was rushed to Duke University. I don't remember much except for the horrendous pain!!!

The next day an angiogram was done and my aneurysm was coiled. I ended up spending 8 days in ICU and 3 more days in a regular room.

My question is this, and I know it's hard to answer because everyone is different.

HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO RECOVER??? When can I get back to life? Go back to work?

I know I am so blessed to be alive and have no "major" deficits". I am still experiencing some headaches so I had an MRA done yesterday. (Waiting for the doc to call with results.) I am extremely tired still!!

On the other hand, I am starting to go through the psychological side of this. I am losing sleep at night worrying if I will wake up the next day, I am feeling useless at home, I feel like a loser because I am not strong enough to work yet. I know it's only been 6 weeks, but it feels like forever! How do others deal with this part of it? I do have a lot of support in my family and friends, but this is something I just don't talk about with them. They don't ask, I don't tell.

hi tj! excellent asking on here!! others will not understand- not even the professionals, so sorry your emt's need retraining in the b/a world. You are lucky they finally got it coiled- many require cutting the skull open. Fatigue is a common factor, I take all the b vitamins and also coq-10 for energy, please consult your dr first, I take the b vitamins separately cause theres something in multi vitamins that can flare up gout attacks, niacin I think?? My dr said discontinue the multis upon a gout attack when I mentioned what I read. The best motivator is to set goals and "missions" - start small- even a trip to the mailbox or the neighbors can give me an emotional boost. I noticed the boost effect when going to drs visits- by the time you are in the exam room you feel much much better with all the activity,mental and physical.

I can totally relate to your "loser" feelings and it is so easy to be down- one day you are sr painter in a retirement complex next day babsat by 11 yr old, but don't beat yourself up- it is not our fault- a loser self inflicts his loser status as you well know

As for night worrying this is a phase, this will improve if not seek meds from dr, I did comfort early on with radio/tv sermons and inspirational music with headphones- something about the headphones really calmed me- theres no outside distractions maybe? it took me a year to find baf and I had to have recoiling and I felt so alone even tho I was surrounded by sister , mom and 5 nephews and lots of friends and other family, also ask your dr about all natural sleep aids, I tried alteril -melantonin, the stuff in turkey and another ingredient, this however didn't work and had a opposite effect-I couldn't GET to sleep which was never the problem, problem was staying asleep to get the deep sleep we need

Hang in there, be proactive- we must be our own advocates and get the help initiated. things do improve but very very slowly, so slow I have to reflect back years to notice the change, tc keep writing and thank you its helped me too- to think about my own improvements and triumphs~~~

Again Welcome Tj...you are right everyone is different with recovery, but one thing for sure it takes time and patience...you need to heal physically and mentally...after a coiled leaky brain aneurysm with many complications...I really didn't start feeling myself for about one year...and even with that I carry deficits ... so therefore some of my journey was accepting my "new normal"...take the time to heal now...it will save you much in the end...more or less "don't rush the process..." take care of YOU...~ Healing thoughts out to you ~ Colleen

Hey TJ and welcome to a club you did not ask to be part of!!

Recovery - hmmm so personal and unique, and yes, sometimes creeping at a glacial pace. Mine was 11 years ago. First chalked up to a migraine - which I never had, so I was arguing about that! Eventually I was heard - like your sister - and images taken and all was revealed. Surround yourself with people who will believe what you are describing for symptoms. Try to find a Dr with some experience handling such cases even if it means someone driving you that office. Finding your voice and getting whatever support you can is so critical, I found.

I too was snatched from a professional life and had to be babysat due to the vasospams, exhaustion, and scary pain. That was weeks. I found it helpful to set small goals - walk up the stairs once a day; shower one day; I kept track of what I had accomplished. One day I fed the dog. Setting small goals and keeping track helped me see I was gaining skills, teeny weeny skills but the right direction.

Good sleep took time and meds. I was riddled with fear about being a repeat aneurysm customer. It helped to be selective about what music and tv I watched. I tried to do all the right things - no caffiene, dark room, cool room, no tv in bed, read something light, no computer after about 6. I had to experiment until I found the right mix.

Hi TJ, it really is an individual thing. I spent about a month in hospital, most of which I didnt remember. 9 months later im still trying to find my new normal. I've been doing what ron suggested, just starting small and trying to build myself up. The first few months out of hospital I was just tired alot, I needed to nap every day. i think it is just a process of finding what we can do today, sometimes we probably need to push ourselves a bit, other times we need to just rest up and be kind to ourselves.

Hi TJ, welcome to the survivor’s club! So glad to have you around. It sounds like everything you’re experiencing is perfectly normal. Fatigue being the number thing that will take some time to ease up. I had my rupture in Oct. 2006. 11 coils and 20 days later I was home from hospital. Like you, every head pain or glitchy thing that happened, I thought I was having anther bleed. It’s normal to have that apprehension and once you start getting back into life and getting into a routine, it should ease up.

I was out of work for three months then went back only part time. Didn’t return to work full time until April. Like you said, it’s different for everyone and everyone has different healing times, but it will get better. It’ll be frustrating (I remember getting ticked off Wrapping Xmas gifts exhausted me!) and you just have to adjust to the “new” you.

BUT you’re a survivor and should find something each day to celebrate in your recovery. Even if it’s being able to do mundain things like the laundry…good for you, you’re coming back!

Most important is to listen to your body. When you’re tired…REST! Your brain has been through trauma and it will thank you letting it rest by making you feel better. :slight_smile:

hang in there and use the message board and perhaps a local support groups to vent if your family isn’t interested in asking or listening. It really does help to talk about it and they probably don’t understand everything you’re going through. So maybe educate yourself so you can educate others. Again, everyone is different and handles it differently.

Take care of yourself!
Heidi

Hi TJ,

The psychological side is difficult. When I get frustrated with my energy level, my husband is quick to remind me that I had BRAIN surgery, not a mole removal. My aneurysm was in June, and I spent the entire month in the hospital. I am able to go back to work on a limited basis, and that has helped me feel like I'm not a loser any more.

Pay attention to your body. I've learned my limits and it helps. And lastly, I've found that people are more understanding if you tell them what happened.

Tj, been 7 yrs since my double rupture. I went back to work after 89 days so I wouldn’t have to face the company Drs. dumber than a box of rocks. My buddies at work helped me out…me being one of Jerry’s Kids.Don’t try to do to much to fast, it’ll only make things worse. I still count on my fingers, can’t read right or multitask very well. Look at what you can do…not what you can’t…JC

Welcome. I wish you all the best. It’s been almost 4 yrs since my clipping and there are still time I find myself tired. As my mom told me your body will tell you when your done. They claim it takes a good year to truly heal. Listen to your body… Every one handles things differently. And don’t be too hard on yourself… It’s 1 day at a time for tomorrow is never promised. Best wishes

hey TJ..I hear ya. all the things you mentioned... been there done that. 1988, 1st rupture , 2 others clipped. 2002 #4 found, few years later #5 found.. 2010 #6 found. I knew #6 was going to rupture..had all sorts of changes to my body right before it was found.. it was found cuz finally a dr. felt it necessary to have an angiogram (it had been 5 years). #4, #5 never worried me. don't know why but they didn't. #6.. I knew. and yep it blew 2011. coiled. 2013 4 & 5 were pipelined. Everyone is different, depending on rupture, location, surgery success, after surgery success. There is no definitive plan. sucks but true. I've been through 3 different recoveries. All different. You'd think that #4 & #5 recovery would have been real simple since they weren't ruptured. NOPE. Had Major complications requiring my 6th surgery to repair left side paralysis and pretty much save my life. One of those things.. something went horribly wrong. And guess what! NO MAJOR deficits... but do suffer from brain fatique, freakey sleeping patterns, headaches daily, muscle /body weakness... All which gosh darn, depresses me of course. Its nothing but TIME. sounds to simple but ALL of my "go-rounds" since 1988... it was all TIME. (yeh, I hate that, I wanted to be the OLD me each and every time. BuT reality is... Its the NEW you. after any TBI. Thinking of you! Feelin you pain And kNOWING that YOU WILL BE JUST FINE... in TIME!!!

Welcome, I had surgical clipping for my aneurysysm on July 5th. I am still not back to work doctors say not until mid October at the earliest. Some days I have tons of energy but those are usually followed by days of extreme tiredness. Everyone is different I spent 8 days in ICU went through 2 spinal blood patches due to extreme headaches following my surgery and spent another 10 days in a regular room. Although some days I feel like my family or friends think I am lazy I look at it this way think what you want but until you have been through what I have don’t judge me. No one understands except for us the emotional toll this has taken on our bodies and minds. I have learned to rest when I feel tired and am concerned about going back to work if I will make it through an 8-10 hour day. So take it easy and relax while you can to better yourself physically and mentally.

Hello TJ
I had a similar experience to you in 2010. It was completely out of the blue and as I had never been an I’ll person I found it hard to be laying around feeling useless. I would lay on the sofa all day feeling utterly fatigued. Getting up to sit at the tablecto eat a meal for 20 mins would exhaust me. Gradually, however, the fatigue lessoned and I did start going back to work after 3 months with a staged return. I remember one day just feeling like doing some weeding so I did. Another day I would manage a bit of ironing then rest again. Gradually my energy returned. Because I wanted to see progress, I got a little pretty blank notebook that someone had given me when I was ill and at the end of each day I would rate 4 things marks out if 10 in the notebook - Energy - Motivation - Body (how good I felt physically re pain etc) - Positivity (about how depressed/hopeful/fearful I felt) then I would write a bit about what I’d done in the day(if anything) and how I was feeling. This helped me enormously as I could look back and see the ratings I was putting changing gradually for the better as the weeks went by. My ruptured aneurysm was on Feb 7th 2010 and by July 24th I stopped keeping the diary because i felt completely back to normal. The last entry was rating Energy 10/10 Motivation 10/10 Body 9/10 and Positivity 9.5/10. I feel like I’m completely back to normal with no deficits. Sometimes I get a little spasm of pain in my head. Sometimes I worry about the little remaining bit of aneurysm that the doc was unable to coil bursting again. But mostly I don’t think about it. I’m sure you will get back to normal eventually. Honestly you do get beyond this and start living again (with renewed gratefulness for your life). God bless , Sue

Hi tj!

I would say first that everyone is different. Having said that, I would say from what you report that you are doing quite well.

My wife had a ruptured aneurysm in December of 2011. She was in the hospital a full month and doesn't remember it at all. They estimated that she would be in acute rehab three to five months, but with the Lord's blessing she was in acute rehab only three weeks. She was in out patient rehab for two months. She is a piano teacher and was able fairly quickly to return to that but only a few students at first. Actually it was a great blessing that she regained her ability to play piano.

There is a different 'normal' post aneurysm, and you have to discover what it is for you. Be patient about recovery. Be thankful for each day. It would be great if you could find some friends with which to share. I have been my wife's number one cheerleader, but she also has a girl friend who is very supportive and would do anything for her. Our church family has also been a source of strength for her.

Hi TJ;

I am recovering from a Pipeline procedure in side of my brain. Yes it was done at Duke; I am haveing the same problems and the best thing for us to do is to change our lifestyle.

I do not drink and sometimes I walk around the house like a drunk.

I still have headaches and sometimes blurred vision.

My doctor gave me strict order if my blood pressure get over 140/90 get to the emergency room. That has happen twice.

I have on my phone a folder ICE Contacts ( In Case of Emergency ) Emts now are trained to look for that if you have a cell phone with you.

I also have at my local hospital ( Novant ) all my records from Duke just in case.

I also have a card in my wallet stating on my Annie on right side and Stent on left.

I did not know until a week ago that I was supposed to have it checked once a year and it has been two years.

Oh just for giggles they ( Duke) told me it would only be one stent 1 1/2 inches long. It wound up to be 6 stent hooked together to a total of 9 inches long.

Don't get depressed and you may find you self getting stressed out in a crowd; just walk out that is what I found that helps me, and loud noise.

I also found myself having to think of what I am going to say.

You my friend may find yourself developing ways to cope with this like many of us do and still doing.

All the folks on this site understand 100%. I came here and ready and chat when I feel family and friends don't understand what I am going through

REMEMBER:

DON'T GIVE UP

DON'T GET STRESSED OUT

KEEP YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE DOWN.

THERE IS NO DUMB OR STUPID QUESTIONS HERE.

Take Care Friend

Jerry

1 Like

TJ,

I am glad you are alright and blessed that you made it to this wonderful site :) Everyone has stories about how long their recovery has taken and as you will see, no ones is the same. An aneurysm can cause anything to happen depending upon where in the brain it strikes. If one asks how long then the answer is weeks, months, or years. It all depends on what was affected and your mental awareness. As for the depression and anxiety, go see a psychiatrist and they will put you on the right meds after they figure out what is causing it. If it is not that severe, go see a psychologist who specializes in traumatic brain injury or strokes. I hope you follow the right path towards recovery and do not let the beast within take over.

Recovery depends on a lot of different factors. It takes time and patience. All of what you are feeling is part of the process. Patience, love, patience. It gets better. I ruptured in 2001 at 46 years old. My aneurysm is an inoperable fusiform of the left vertebral artery and involves the PICA as well. I have partial paralysis in the right leg, toes on both feet and fingers on both hands. I had to learn to walk all over again. I also have visual deficits. One year after the rupture I celebrated survival by hiking to the top of Yosemite Falls. I regularly run 5K races. I changed careers as well. I turn 60 in March. I sought help for the depression which is normal and to be expected after a traumatic event. I eat a whole foods, plant-based diet. Both the diet and exercise help keep the blood pressure in great shape which is the most important health marker I need to control to protect the aneurysm.

Hi, I had my coiling in Jan. I had a large aneurism in the middle of my forehead (4"). Then I had a Flow Diverter put in in March. My biggest complaints are fatigue and depression. I have always been high energy but not now. It’s a vicious cycle… I’m too tired to do anything, so I’m depressed. I also have feelings of uselessness. I know you are anxious to get going… BUT our brains have to have time to heal… They’ve been assaulted! I talk about everything with my friends… I just let it out there, not to an extreme but I find they are very understanding. I am on 2 medications since this happened: Gabapentin and Duloxetine, for depression and anxiety and I am on Lisinopril to maintain my blood pressure. In a few weeks they are doing an angiogram (up through the groin again) to check on all the repair work they did. Hang in there !

Hello Tj,

It's to early for you to feel like a loser. After all you have been through your brain has to heal and it's a slow process. For me after two bleeds and surgery it was about 14 months before I felt somewhat like my old self. Two and 1/2 years later I know now that I will probably not get back to that person. I have learned to accept the new me. There was an article in the BAF newsletter written by Robin Reid (Fall 2013) that was so helpful in expressing the way I felt. I printed it and gave it to my family to read and I kept it for myself. I urge you to find someone you can talk to. For me it was my best friend and my husband. Just speaking out your feelings can me so therapeutic. Be kind to yourself and let others help you! Best of Luck, Lynn

Hi TJ! This is a great support group and we are all here to help. It sucks the place you are at right now. You have to remember you had MAJOR trauma to your brain. It’s going to take time to heal. My annie was behind my right eye, my 5-year son old found me in the bathtub but thank GOD my husband was home. My doctors at Zale Lipshy in Dallas said my recovery would be 2-5 years but my annie was clipped. I am one year and 3 months past surgery and feel 90% back to my old self. I do get tired at random times and I make myself rest. I had major headaches for the first four-five months after the surgery and mine was because of swelling in my brain. I had anxiety really bad especially at night?!?! I still use a sleep aid to help me-I hate that but I’ve gotta sleep. Buy the book Overwhelmed by Perry Noble- it has nothing to do with aneurysms but it helped me a lot. Keep us posted. I will be praying for a speedy recovery, rest, and peace. And rest!! It’s okay to to rest! Don’t feel guilty for needing rest!!

It’s been 2 years since my 3 were clipped and the 4 th can rupture at anytime. I have found it very hard to let the worry go. I applied for a job. Got all the way to drug test. They didn’t like that I took muscle relaxers. I have to in order to walk. In morning and at 5:00 pm. Back, neck, and feet hurt too much without them. I’m fine but not to the world. Applying for disability at 50. Sad.