How long do coils last normally?

Hi all.

I'm new here so please bare with me if I am asking a stupid question :o)

My sister (60 years of age) had a brain hemorrhage last May and had coils put into the aneurysm. The aneurysm is now filling with blood again so she has been told she needs surgery to put more coils in/replace the coils (not sure which).

Do these coils often need replacing after only a year and a half or is she just a bit unlucky?

She was supposed to have surgery this morning but it was cancelled due to lack of a bed in HDU, so hopefully they will send her another appointment soon because she is very nervous about it and just wants to get it over and done with.

Ma Griff x

Hello

Please pass on my greetings to your sister. I feel for her being cancelled. I was cancelled twice (once as no HDU bed, once because there were too many emergencies needing the angio room) and it is really tough to feel you have to go through the anxiety of anticipation again.

I've only needed one procedure, but am away in some people the coils shrink as they curl up tight and it allows blood to get back into the aneurysm. I think they add more coils rather than taking the old ones out. Sometimes, depending a bit where the aneurysm is, they open the skull and put a clip on. That seems to be a much more certain long-term treatment, but not all aneurysms can be approached safely without risk of damaging brain round about.

I hope her next procedure will go ahead soon and last.

Judith

I don’t think anyone would think any question is stupid. :-). There are things happening to us or to a loved one that we have never experienced. This is a great site for information. Everyone is very supportive,too. Please let your sister know we are all rooting for her and hope for another appointment date soon. No cancellations!

hi Ma Griff! noooo not stupid thats an excellant question! my sah had to be recoiled -they just added some in my case but i think i heard of them redoing them,anyway 2nd time was a charm- 100% occluded! We'll keep sis in our thoughts & prayers!

Hi MaGriff...I was under the impression coils lasted a lifetime...now I am not so sure...My 18 month angio I was told that they compacted and the aneurysm hasn't occluded...we still hold hope, but in 2 years I will go for another angio unless I have problems before, and if aneurysm still hasn't occluded I will have more coils added to my brain...

I would feel like yours sister...wanting to get it over with...please keep us posted on her reschedule...~ Gotcha in my Thoughts Colleen

Thank you all for your replies. Its good to have somewhere where I can ask about these things. I will keep you all posted on my sisters progress. Hopefully she won't have to wait too much longer and it won't be cancelled again.