How it is

“When I looked into his eyes I thought I saw recognition. Now I know. You fake it. If you think you’re supposed to recognize somebody, you just pretend.”

This quotation is said by Leonard in the film Memento when he finally understands one of the dilemmas faced by Sammy Jenkis; a person who’s experienced a TBI. Thankfully, most of my physical ailments are more of a nuisance than a problem, and as I’ve alluded to before, some days are easier than others to navigate emotionally with the recovery. On difficult days, much of the time, I feel like I’m trying to act like how I remember I was before my injury. Although I know I will have to adjust to the unknown as opposed to trying to replicate who I had been. Similarly, while I would prefer the recovery to happen in a specific way, I also know the recovery will continue on its own timetable and in whatever order it wants. Recognizing this doesn’t necessarily make it easier, but it’s also important to remember not every facet of the recovery will be convenient.

2 Likes