How do I prepare for craniotomy

Surgery is set for 8-1-16. What should I pack? What will I need to take with me. Will I be able to read, or bathe? How soon will I get up to walk?

What kind of pain should I expect? Should I have someone stay with me?

I had posted this in May 8th.

I had 2 unruptured Annies, ACOM and A1. (Right side) I’ve had my share of surgeries and survived breast cancer with chemo and radiation, but this was different. Just different.

I went in for surgery 12/10 and came home the evening of 12/11. I really don’t know why my stay was so short but my sister and husband were there to take care of me and according to my husband I wasn’t staying. I pretty much slept the first week. Because they cut from the middle of my forehead to the base of my ear to include cutting through the nerves and muscles, the worst part for me was the pain in my teeth. I was later given Gabapentin which calmed things down.

12/26 I flew to Florida at the encouragement of my surgeon. I had booked my flight months in advance. I pushed myself to try to keep the depression away but it bit me in the butt anyway. It is not uncommon after surgery. Most important is to recognize it and talk to your doctor.

Here is my list of experiences and what I helped me.
Jaw Pain - chewing gum and Gabapentin
Teeth Pain - Gabapentin
Itchy scalp - Tar Shampoo
Metal taste - Zinc lozenges
Exhaustion - Sleep, sleep and more sleep
Short term Memory issues - write it down

I went back to work after 6 weeks. It was and still is exhausting at times but getting better everyday. Now I go into the office 2-3 days/week and work from home the other days. I don’t do a lot of lifting so I would definitely discuss with your doctor. As for driving, my neurosurgeon said once I was off the pain meds.

Hope this helps.

They will have you up and walking the same or next day. I was a bit out of it and can’t remember exactly which day it was.

Hello Nana28, I am 8 months out from a craniotomy on my left carotid artery, was in the hospital for 4 days. Walking on the day after, and more discomfort from swelling than pain. Slept a lot for 2-3 months after. I am 63. I would recommend having someone with you for awhile, if possible. In looking back the anxiety before was worse than the actual surgery. And now, trying to come to terms with the new me has been tough. I was able to stay home for 6 months and now only work part time. Don't focus on the negative on the Internet, and remember to breathe. The jaw pain was an issue for awhile but went away. I massage the area and have been able to loosen up the tissue so it is more pliable now. I had anxiety issues and have started to meditate, also walk 5 times a week. It has taken me some time to regain my strength, but I am coming along. I can't predict what your journey will be like, but I know that this website helped me tremendously. I met a woman who had the same surgeon a month before my surgery and it was very encouraging. Keep in touch, we will be thinking of you.

Thank you for the info. Wow less than a 24 hour hospital stay! I was told I will be in ICU for 2 days then moved to a floor.

Hey Nana,

Post craniotomy I was in ICU for 4 days then moved to a ward for 7 days. As for symptoms, I have had 6 bouts of neurosurgery and no two recoveries have been the same. My first op recovery (in hindsight) wasn't too bad. At the time, I thought it was awful. But the 2nd op was 10 times worse, something I wouldn't even wish on my worst enemy. Reading and watching TV were all too much, like there was too much information, to much happening for my brain to process. As for bathing, I couldn't. I could stand upright but bending over was impossible to dangerous as I did have a few falls from dizzy spells. I found I f I got my head below my heart I'd get dizzy, often vomit, then collapse. Waking with a headache from HELL!!!. The nurses asked me to give my pain a rating out of 10, 10 being the worst pain ever. I told them 15. 'Ohh, it can't be that bad' commented one nurse. I told her to lay on the floor and I'd boot her in the head, just to give her an idea of the intensity. My response was not welcomed, but, by the same accord, nor was her statement.

I have had all sorts of 'odd' sensations post surgery. Tingles, visual disturbances and the ever present headaches etc, just to mention a few

Tingles - Tingles in my hands (both and singular) Tingles in my feet(both and singular) Tingles in my scalp. Tingles down one whole side of my body. Now when I say 'tingles' I mean pins and needles x10, not just unpleasant but painful. But the intensity fluctuates, so I can never plan when nor how bad it will be.

Eye Pain- For me the eye pain has been the most debilitating ongoing symptom. At times I am tempted to take a T-spoon and remove my eyeball from the socket(no joke). It primarily starts in my right eye, crosses the bridge of my nose and invades my left eye, eventually closing both eyes. Bright light is a massive no, no for me and early morning sunlight is the worst. It is as if someone grabs my eyeball with their hand and squeezes the entire ball. I have been to see an ophthalmologist, as a neuro did mention a problem with pressure in the eye being the cause, this has now been eliminated. The ophthalmologist thought the scarring may be a cause instead, but no neuro will agree to that.

Now, I know this may sound all 'doom and gloom' and that my situation is not 'normal' but at least if you hear some of the negative, at the very least you have some more information.

Best of luck with it all and I do hope it all goes well.

Merl

Thanks Merl. I hope your recovery is better now. I wish you luck in the future. Did you

Have clipping? What size anni?