Headaches after coiling

Thank you Vicky! Blessings this holiday season and I'm glad they took care of you!

Donna,

Just as an FYIā€“when my SAH occurred in July, I was released from the hospital a week later with numerous Rxā€™s for pain meds and such. I also received a Rx for Valium, 5mg. I do not like to take anything, so once home and off the anti-stroke meds, I did not take anything. The Rx for Valium was 30 pills, and I still have 19 of them to this date. However, I have found that when the headaches are very bad, I can take 1/2 of a 5mg (2.5mg), and it will help the headaches. Nothing else does. Valium was prescribed for ā€œspasmsā€ upon my release from the doctor. I have an appt tomorrow with my primary care provider for my post-2nd-coil check-up, and plan to discuss this with her.
I canā€™t stand taking anything that I donā€™t need, but for whatever reason, the tiny dose of valium WILL kill these ā€œotherā€ headaches for me, (the kind we all seem to get).

I will post any info as I get it. I feel like a schlep every time I go in and admit that I take valium ā€œas-neededā€. The mention of that drug itself gets me a look from each provider. Iā€™ve even had someone ask me ā€œwhy are you still taking THAT?ā€ Wellā€“itā€™s the only thing that works when Iā€™m desperate. It isnā€™t that I want to!!!

I too still suffer from headaches and I am seriously close to losing my job because of them. My SAH was in 2011 Jan and the coiling was a success in fixing the Aneurysm but the headaches continue 3 years after. I am on a variety of painkillers including Gabapentin and currently await Facet injections into my neck so if anyone has had this I would love to hear from you.
I am sure that the Neurologists could begin some research on the headaches that so many of us seem to suffer from if funding could be organised as I am not alone with headaches seriously affecting my life.

Simon, thanks for the information. I just had my 2nd angio follow-up (itā€™s been 2 1/2 yrs since my rupture) & everything was fine. I donā€™t have to go back for 4 yrs. the bad part is Iā€™m still suffering the headaches, I take Norco when I canā€™t stand the pain.
I guess weā€™re all really lucky to be able to share our stories, so maybe the headaches are a small price to pay. I wish you the best that life has to offer. Weā€™re survivors!

Hello I had coils also in 2013 and I get debilitating headaches. So bad I canā€™t function. My neurologist said it can happen and he has been treating me for them for 3 years I am now trying Botox I went through my first set and so far no difference.

Hello, My husband had his coil a few years ago. His headaches we minimal at first but in the last year his headaches have gotten worse. He has had a terrible headache for about a month now and no over the counter medicine is helping. I wish everyone who suffers from these terrible headaches the best and hoping you find relief soon.

1 Like

I had my stent and coil procedure in December of 2015.
Followed up with an angiogram in April of 2016. I have had no headaches until this week. Everyday for a week so far.
Iā€™m freaking out cause I didnā€™t think that this was normal . I spoke to my neurosurgeon and they said to take Tylenol or ibuprofen . I took an extra strength Tylenol and it worked but now the headaches is bad again.
My latest reading for blood pressure was 156/78 . So itā€™s high. Has anyone experienced this ? And what did your doctors tell you to do?

1 Like

Hello, I just had a coiling preformed on October 3 2017 No rupture But I do have two smaller aneurysms being watched as well. I was fine the first week after the procedure. But as of this week I have been gettin headaches, And as others have stated the headaches have been different now since I have had the procedure. Before I only had the headaches on the left side of my head and face area. Now they have migrated to my whole head at times other times they are just on the right side of my head or just in my neck. Is this something anyone has experienced other than myself?

Hi Keke I had a pipeline stent put in to cover 2 aneurysms on 9/27/17. Unlike you I have pretty much had a headache since the procedure. It was off the chart the first 10 days or so. It is like I can feel exactly where the stent is which is the constant pain when I get the headache and then I get these kind of sharp repeating zaps of pain from inside my brain. No fun. I also do not have a sense of taste since the surgery. Very weird. When I had my first pipeline in 2011 I just had a bad headache and very tired for a few weeks. Then literally fine. Quite different this time. Donā€™t know if any of this helps.

Iā€™m going in for my second angiogram next week Thursday. Iā€™m hoping everything is going to turn out ok. My blood pressure is still elevated but I think Iā€™m just really worried. It seems that headaches are normal from what Iā€™ve been reading . They are much different than the ones I had before coiling and stenting . But my neck also hurts along with the headaches . Does anyone experience this?

Keke,
I also wanted to ask how did they find the other 2 aneurysms ? Did they find them along with the original one? Or did they come up later with another angiogram or Ct ? Sorry for all the questions .

1 Like

I had been getting migraines since the end of July so I had CT scans and
MRIs I was visiting a optic neurologist because I was having issues with my
left eye the aneurysm was pressing on my third nerve which was causing my
left eye to close. But at that time they weā€™re unaware of the aneurysms my
optic neurologist then referred me to another doctor and his office at
which point that doctor informed me he was almost positive I had an
aneurysm from a MRI scan he had previously saw but he wanted me to have
another scan done. So they then performed an MRI angio which showed that I
had three aneurysms but only one of them was causing problems the other two
were smaller in size so those are just being monitored.
So for 2 months I was unaware I had to aneurysms I was just having constant
debilitating migraines I just found out the beginning of this month and a
couple days later I had to have the procedure for it.

Keke , wow !! Youā€™ve been through so much!!!
Thatā€™s what Iā€™m afraid of is them finding another aneurysm . Do you if thatā€™s normal if thereā€™s a higher risk of multiple aneurysms if youā€™ve already had one?

From what Iā€™ve read online there is a chance. I donā€™t recall the exact
percentage.

Hey there it has been eight months after my coiling and I get headaches and nerve pain everyday. I am praying this goes away!

Iā€™m having extreme pain I have two aneurysms one coiled In 2014 and the other is 1.6 mm I think Iā€™m having extreme pain I had two angiograms since 2014 I can feel where the aneurysm is if that makes sense just from where my pain is and itā€™s constant pain nothing helps Iā€™m requesting another angiogram so I can know the size and if I can get the surgery on it because itā€™s very stressful knowing I have a ticking time bomb in my head and with this pain itā€™s making me stressed out.

Had my coil in 2012. Suffered head aches from 3ā€™s to 9ā€™s the whole 6 years. Opiates didnā€™t help but cannabis does in my case, maybe it can help you. You donā€™t have to smoke it.

It was in 03/00 when I had a Aneurysm and I get the headaches. I can turn my head to the right or the left and I will get one never know when one may come and the only thing that works is to lie down on the side that is not hurting. A lot of time I pray it helps

Yes my neck is in constant pain too. SAH coils and stent 2019! Daily headache :face_with_head_bandage: also no balance not vertigo itā€™s called disequilibrium. Ruining my life!

You found a topic thatā€™s six years old! If no one responds to it by tomorrow, I will close it. You may want to start a new topic