Foreign body reaction after coiling and flow diverter implantation

I was diagnosed with a giant aneurysm of the left ica of 34mm in September 2018. Coiling and flow diverter implantation took place in October 2018. Intervention went all right, had a few tiny ischaemic regions but they remained aymptomatic.
In January 2019 my right leg began to feel numb, and in the evenings tingling. It was only the lower part of my leg. By now, the situation has worsened: Also the upper part of the leg and the right part of my butt feel numb, especially when I am exercising. The right arm also sometimes feels not to be working all right- preparing some slices of bread feels like a big effort at times.
My neuroradiologist says everything is ok with my anny (although it is not blocked completely) and the flow diverter. My neurologist does not have an idea where this might come from.
So have been doing some research and found that in rare cases something like a foreign body reaction to the coils or the coating material can occur, or sometimes an allergic reaction. It can also appear with a delay, the articles said. I also have some vision issues, but I don´t think that these are related with the sensations of the right part of my body.
My question now is: Has anyone here ever heard of or experienced themselves such a thing?
And if so, what was the treatment like? I would be very very grateful for answers, because it is bothering and worrying me a lot.
Thank you and all the best (and happy easter) to you!
Ferret

1 Like

Hi Ferret,

I had a superior hypophyseal aneurysm stented in February 2012. In April 2012 I had terrible head pain and my doctor ordered an MRI. They noted several areas of what they determined to be stroke lesions throughout my right hemisphere. They followed up one more time with no changes in the lesions. I went on with my life until deciding to seek treatment for ongoing migraines last May. My new doctor ordered another MRI and the same lesions were still there and active or “enhancing”. My neurologist consulted with several other doctors and a neurosurgeon. They determined the lesions were not strokes, but are most likely caused by a foreign body reaction from either the stent or pieces of the catheter that broke off during surgery. Luckily I don’t have a ton of effects from the lesions, other than some numbness and tingling at times and of course, headaches. I am being closely monitored as they don’t know what will change in the future. So yes, it is very possible to have a foreign body reaction. Hope that helps you out, if you have any questions please let me know.

1 Like

Hi restolz!
thank you so much for your quick answer, it helped me a lot! I am always being told that everything is ok with my aneurysm, it can´t be the cause of my issues. And yes- in my case, no further lesions apart from the small one that appeared directly after the coiling can be found. So I´m wondering if they could be too small or somehow invisible for the MRI but still there? Or can there be some vascular damage caused by this foreign body reaction that is not visible in the MRI and causing my numbness and tingling of my right body? My neurologist begins to think of me having an unknown, rare disease, but since mostly the fight part of my body is affected, I keep on thinking the aneurysm or rather the intervention is to be blamed.
Another important question that comes to my mind: Can the foreign body reaction to coils or the stent or pieces of the catheder somehow be treated? I hope for a yes as an answer :slight_smile:
Wishing you all the best and few migraines,
Ferret

@ferret , I hate you’re going through this…if your Neurologist doesn’t think it’s your coils and stents, have they checked your spine? I ask because I’ve had several pinched nerves and one that was almost severed. The damage was all on the same side. I hope you get a resolution to this and keep us up to date.

All the best,
Moltroub

Hi Moltroub!
Thank you for caring!! It means a lot for me! „Unfortunately“ my spine is all right, I had it checked. This is a good thing of course, but I really need an explanation for my problems with the right part of my body and some kind of cure…
All the best,
Ferret

@ferret I am really glad your spine is fine, that’s one thing that can be checked off the list. I love it when one of the medical folks find a part “unremarkable”. I hope you can find someone who will be able to resolve this conundrum and please share it with us. Our paths here in the group are so closely linked that it’s the only way we can know. Many times a member has shared an issue that has helped another,

All the best,
Moltroub

Hi again! Sorry I’m just now responding. It’s interesting because when I first started seeing my new neurologist and she found the still enhancing lesions, she assumed it could be a rare disease such as vasculitis. After a battery of tests and the fact that the lesions were only on the side of my aneurysm procedure, the most logical conclusion was foreign body reaction. I’m curious if you’ve had any additional scans done since your surgery? Would like to see if your lesion is still enhancing. That alone could cause some of the problems you’re describing depending on the location of the lesion. It’s possible some are not showing up on your scans as well. Please listen to your body and seek the answers you need. I wish I had done that sooner. Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done for foreign body reaction or damage. That’s why they are following me closely because I don’t think they really know what to do other than monitor for changes. I have a follow up next month and will be happy to share any information I receive. I have a list of about 20 questions ready at this point!

2 Likes