Flat affect

I want my personality back. I don’t laugh anymore. I just feel like soda that has lost its fizz and gone flat. I did not have this issue at first but now it’s here.i want my ridiculousness back Does it come
back?

1 Like

Yes Kassi it will come back; however, it takes time. How much time is up to the ability of your neurotransmitters to reroute themselves. The lesson we all have to learn here is to be patient with ourselves. Just like you’re patient with your students. It can be a difficult lesson for us.

I did talk to my human resources about giving me a couple of accommodations. The biggest one was the noise with the crowds. So, for instance, when they have huge assemblies in the gym, then I can opt not to go to them and stay in my room. If there are some kids that want to stay with me, they can and we can watch it on the screen in my room. Also, when we do conferences, usually there in the gym, and there’s a lot of noise and people. I asked that I’d be allowed to do the conferences in my classroom and they said that was OK.
My sleep is wacko. I don’t sleep very well. But I believe overtime things will get better. And I have said that even to the powers that be at work that a little by little things will get better. I feel very fortunate that things have gone as well as they have, and I have essentially come out the other side pretty well unscathed. However, as time goes by, I do notice a few things pop up here and there. My doctor said that’s completely normal. But for the most part, the cat takes care of me. And I am trying to take care of me.

2 Likes

Hello! To help with building “new connections in your brain,” are you going to outpatient rehab? Have you seen a speech therapist? This may be worth trying as you have nothing to lose and all to gain! This tremendously helped my mom post clipping of her cerebral aneurysm.

Jessica

1 Like

I hate that you’re going through this but I’m so glad I’m not alone, I feel like I’m not crazy or losing my mind now. I can’t do crowds and close my office door a lot. I can’t even have my grandkids over like I used to, it’s just too much for my nerves. I pray this passes I miss me :sleepy:

It takes a bit of reconditioning and we have to be diligent at it. I wear glasses, I no longer own a pair of clear glasses, just my sunglasses. Our home used to be kept very dark, my parents kept their home dark for me when I went over as well. It drove my niece batty when she visited with them. LOL The tv was kept very quiet as my hearing had dramatically improved and it seemed as if it was always too loud. We now live in a home with so many windows it would be impossible to keep dark. I worked very hard to adjust to noise, light and crowds. You can do this!

I feel the same way and it will be a yr., March of 2024 the second stent was added. I feel like a dud every day. My personality completely changed, and not in a happier way. Don’t laugh, I’m withdrawn, quiet now. I want the old me back, everyone says I have to accept that things have changed and I need to accept that. Well way easier for them to say that, they are not having to deal with it personally. I want the old me back!

1 Like

Second stent was added March of 22, not 24. Correction!

Still feeling the same, withdrawal from so many things. I did got out twice for the holiday which was nice. New Year’s Eve wasnt so great! I also have Orthostatic Tremors, which I think are far worse than my aneurysm. I have a MRA on March first, I’m expecting it to be fine. Just wish I could get out of this funk I’m in!

1 Like

Music is a great funk Rx. :slight_smile:

Besides music which @Peter mentions, oddly enough cleaning and decluttering can help as well. Just take one area of one room at a time so as not to become overwhelmed.

1 Like

I’m not a cluttered person. Plus the orthostatic tremors make things difficult to do, I can’t stand from more than a few seconds. Then my lower legs start to shake on the inside.
I was on Asp 81 and plavix until my next angiogram. Which was 6 months then my doctor decided to put another stent in, which cause me to have panic attacks and I was emotional and crying all the time. Another 6 months angiogram and stayed on the drugs for about a yr. Then my doctor took me off the plavix after a MRA. He said I’ll be on the Asp. 81 for the rest of my life. I’m surprised your doctor is going a yr for your MRA.

1 Like

It’s a good thing you’re not a cluttered person with everything going on, yikes! Isn’t it amazing how some of us not only have to deal with an aneurysm, but also with another rare disease? I put it down as we must be incredibly strong individuals. Truth be told, until they finally sent me to a Rheum who put me on the correct medication, I couldn’t walk 5-10’ without tears rolling down, it hurt that much.

I couldn’t do the plavix for long, too many bruises and a lot of bleeding every time I bumped into something. It got pretty bad the first month and we invested in a case of VetWrap and non stick gauze as bandaids would rip my skin right up and cause a more serious issue, same with regular gauze pads. But I’ll be on the 81mg aspirin the rest of my life. For me, I did my six month follow up angiogram after the stent then six months later an MRI. Because of a small pocket of blood at the neck, she’s doing one every three years instead of five years.

2 Likes