Emotional Recovery after SAH

I am new to the support community....

I suffered a subarachnoid hemorrhage on 8-6-12.
I won the best lottery of all ~ LIFE! I am very lucky.
Five weeks after my surgery, I was in my college classroom teaching. I only held that first class for two hours but I did just fine and so did my students!!
My physical recovery from the craniotomy and clipping has been amazing yet some aspects of my emotional recovery have been difficult. I am trying to let go of hitting all the "replay buttons" among other "poisonous" thoughts.

I wish to only discuss the positive approaches one might offer in now healing the emotional aspects of this life changing event.

1 Like

Hello Pat and welcome to this great web site. I had a sah 8-22-2011.All I can relay to you is that time helps. I still go over the events I can remember over and over again.Not remembering three weeks of time has me bugged but those memories are gone. I have strange sensations when I am quiet at night but they are not painful, just strange. I, too, was able to return to work pretty early after the sah and that was the best thing for me. I wish u well. You will be able to find out much info here. We are all so very lucky just to be able to communicate about this info!! It's only been several months for you so be patient with yourself. Will add you to my prayer list. donna w

1 Like

Thank you, Donna. You are positively correct ... we are able to communicate!

You wrote you go over and over the the events. Oh, Boy... I can say that I have done that so many times it's becoming the very thing that tires me out! Maybe the brain needs to sort and then flush it all out. Maybe in time "it" moves somewhere to the backside of where "non issues" are filed away. I am hopeful.

Pat

2 Likes

Hi Pat! I had my SAH on 8/14/2011. I had 3 craniotomies for clipping and am now recovering well. Yay for winning the lottery! I've won twice now (breast cancer in 2005). I don't know if I am a cat with nine lives... heh. This is a great community! Welcome.

-Laura

2 Likes

Hi Par! I had SAH on Oct 2007. I have had 2 crainotomies & 2 recent PED"s. We are the lucky one because we were give another chance. We are truly blessed. I do the sane thing. Remember every detail before my rupture. I am glad to say we share the same name & we are both BA survivors! Welcome to BAF! I have met some wonderul people like you who have been thru the same thing. (((((Hug)))))

1 Like

Oh, Laura, What you have gone through! How are you dealing with the emotional aspects?

Pat

1 Like

Hi Pat,

I went to your page and read your whole story. Then I saw your pictures. How can some things go so horribly wrong with our health yet we find a way to thrive?! You appear to be doing just that! Your mental state must be iron strong! Please share any advice anytime! This is exactly why i joined this support group!

We share one more thing... I'm originally a Dallas gal!

~Pat

1 Like

It's been up and down... some times survivor guilt. Mother-in-law died of ovarian cancer. A good friend died of breast cancer that was diagnosed too late. Sometimes just sad and feeling useless. Other times are good. Lately has been better.

1 Like

hi Pat! congratulations on beating the lottery odds! its a roller coaster but it does get better the lows arent so bad and we recognise the bad 'tude is very temporary. The physical effects the emotional & vice versa. Please keep the faith as we keep you in our thoughts & prayers! my approach is time heals all wounds-probably wrong but i dont think im bad enough for counseling. nice to "meet" you- take care!

1 Like

Thanks, Ron. "Bad 'tude" is exactly what I have!

I have always been somewhat impatient so if the top of my head was taken off and that feels just fine now... then why is it that my emotions aren't healed as well?! OK.. will keep the faith!

1 Like

I like what Ron k said below... "keep the faith"!

1 Like

Hi Laura.

I hope you don’t mind me writing to your reply here. I had a subarachnoid haemorrhage and a craniotomy back in November 2018. It’s been 10/11 months post injury and I’m wondering are you able to share your experience with me?!
I’m so lost and terrified at the moment I don’t know what way to turn to help myself…
do things get better???

Thanks so much sarah xx

2 Likes

Hi Aar23
I’m glad you asked that question. I had my SAH the end of August of this year and I feel the same way. I haven’t went back to work and I am afraid I won’t be able to. I worked as a CMA in a pediatric office.

1 Like

Hey it was only August, cut your self some slack, let your self heal and don’t stress, times a great healer and so very true in this case xx

2 Likes

Everyone keep saying that, how long will it take for the healing?:grinning: I know I’m being impatient, but that’s just me. Thanks Leanne

1 Like

Thank you so much for your positive reply. Xx

1 Like

Hello Aar23,

How are you doing? My SAH was also in November 2018; I just celebrated my first annie-versary. I am 47 years old. I have been doing pretty good. I am working full-time and I am able to go for long walks. I am happy with my recovery and I am hoping that I will become even stronger as the days, months and years go by.

3 Likes

Thank you ever so much for reaching out to me. I’m getting stronger but I just don’t feel like myself…

I’m based in the UK.

Please feel free to drop me a message ever

Sarah xx

1 Like

Mine happened in 2011 and I know my body is healing my some days my mind is so sad. I feel like I have lost a part of me. I am never going to be the same again. I am so happy to have lived to see my grandchildren born that is a plus, but I have suffered so many setbacks. I am going through a really rough time right now. I am glad for the encouraging words on this site. :smile: