Emotional changes

Interesting perspective, craniotomies, unlike endovascular procedures can and often do change our personalities from what I’ve learned here. My rupture certainly changed mine but that’s a different ball of wax. As I healed, and the neurotransmitters found their new pathway, my personality continued to change. With a craniotomy, the surgeon has to cut your brain to get to the area they’re repairing. That’s a lot more invasive and requires a good deal of healing in my opinion.

Please remember that not all our members have English as their first language and may be using a translation app to type from their first language to English. Showering compulsions is part of OCD for instance.

It is ok to disagree and have an “unpopular opinion” but please remember to follow our rules and be kind.

i disagree that my comment was unkind. i also disagree that someone who simply doesn’t want their partner around should not be respected in their choice. no one should be forced around someone when they want space. personality change, whether it’s craniotomy, rupture, unruptured, or endovascular, doesn’t mean that someone’s wishes shouldn’t be listened to. it comes down to consent.

also, this post was in english, so there was no indication that there was a lost in translation aspect.

i appreciate your opinion.

1 Like

Thank you all for your opinion, I appreciate that you find it worth discussing the story of a person you don’t even know. And those are exactly the thoughts I’m dealing with. Most likely my assessment is that the relationship didn’t suit her before and the craniotomy just precipitated everything.

Thank you again, this group helps me.

1 Like

Please be patient with her and don’t give up. Respect her wishes, don’t push but make sure she knows that you are there for her. I have learned so much since mine. Our brains are a complicated thing and yes they affect our emotions, decision making and much, much more. Especially depending on where hers is. Different parts control different things, it’s complexity is truly amazing. I suggest that you read and research the after affects so you can better understand what is happening to her. But please don’t give up, don’t push just make sure she knows that you are there for her. I am praying for you and her. I am new to this site but it appears that it is awesome. We need to try and help each other whether we are the patients or the families. Much love :heart: to you and her.

1 Like

I’m going back to my post. It’s been almost two months since the surgery. It seems to me that this is when my partner started to mentally revert back to her pre-op days. It’s like waking up from a dream and wondering what was wrong with her. She doesn’t understand why she bought so much jewelry. She doesn’t understand why she showered five or more times a day. And she doesn’t understand where her feelings and emotions went after the surgery. She confirms that she lost all empathy after the surgery. I seemed like a stranger to her. It was sudden and, in hindsight, hard for her to understand. I believe this discussion will remain here as a description of how the brain changes when “the light of day shines on it”. It is a challenging time and even if you read everything that can happen beforehand, the reality will still surprise you then.

There are other effects now, but they are “just” physical. The time of very strange behavior seems to be over.

Thanks again to everyone for their support.

1 Like

It sounds like you both are communicating again, which is always a good sign. Remember there may still be a pot hole or two in the road ahead, it takes a very long time to heal.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the opportunity to share my grief. It was exactly what I needed at the time. I want to believe it’s over. I know it’s going to be a long road with a lot of potholes. Thanks for your help.

3 Likes

@Charles
Don’t hesitate to get back to our forum whenever you want. This is a safe place for all of us, patients and relative we understand how it is because we have experienced it.
All the best to you and yours

3 Likes

Hallo,
I haven’t been here for two months. Everything seemed to be slowly returning to the way it was before the surgery. COVID came in two weeks ago. It hits very hard. Huge headache, fainting, ambulance, hospital, fever 40⁰C. When the clouds of COVID cleared, I feel like I’m back just after the surgery. Shopping for jewellery again. We have to break up again. Is this even possible? Can a strong COVID course really have such a manifestation? It’s as if it’s destroyed everything in her head that’s come together in a quarter of a year. Oh, man, this is never gonna end…

Sorry to read that COVID has struck. She is still recovering from the procedure so I think it may have a correlation but I’m not a doctor. Is there any way you can speak to her General Practitioner about her changes?