Eating disorder/taste dysfunction post pipeline aneurysm w/flow diverted, 6 months post op

(May 28, 2023 newest members!):
Hi, has anyone else had difficulty with their sense of taste after a pipeline procedure w/ flow diverted? I have had a very long and difficult recovery these last 6 months. Terrible headaches, nausea/vomiting and many other miseries. Most of them are now better, but I still have not recovered my sense of taste. It has improved. At first I was unable to eat and lost 25 lbs. Then I was able to eat mashed potatoes and zucchini with butter and melted cheddar cheese, then vanilla milkshakes. Now I can eat most vegetables, bread and some cookies and some fruits. I am grateful to be alive as I fully expected to die either from pain or dehydration or starvation. But here I am, alive and much much better. So I was just wondering if others have had a similar experience and if so how are you managing? Evi

Thanks for posting Evi! I haven’t lost my sense of taste for long after any of my procedures and blamed the anesthesia. After I ruptured, my sense of smell and taste were affected for a bit longer but came back within a couple weeks. Which could have been due to any of the drugs they gave me. Since the parietal lobe registers our five senses, I wonder two things, did you rupture and if your aneurysm is in the anterior or middle cerebral arteries which I think goes to our parietal lobe. I also wonder if you contacted your surgeon to let them know.

Hi Moltroub,
My aneurysm did not burst. Very lucky as it was 16 X 16mm based on the US surgeons best guess. My aneurysm occurred in Mexico while on vacation, so all medical notes were in Spanish. It was identified as a giant cavernous carotid on the left side. It was so large my left eye was pushed out temporarily. I brought up my eating disorder several times and I was not offered any help or advice from the Neurovascular surgeon or the neurologist. He did say it could be temporary or forever. Just thought there might be a specialty that deals with this. I have not found one yet.

I may need a tutorial on how to send my entries.:laughing:

Just hit the black “Reply” in the box to the member’s post you’re responding to, easy smeasy!

That’s one big aneurysm, I’m glad it didn’t rupture! I did a bit of research and it’s called “ageusia”. It’s listed under taste disorders, so not an earring disorder which probably gave you anorexia and bulimia, among some others. Realizing you know the culprit is your aneurysm, I still searched for which type of doctor deals with loss of taste and it’s the ENT. Since you’re in FL, you may still be able to get some help here https://umiamihealth.org/en/treatments-and-services/ear,-nose,-and-throat-(ent)/sinus-and-allergy/disorders-of-smell-and-taste#:~:text=If%20your%20ear%2C%20nose%2C%20and,medication%20to%20fight%20that%20infection.&text=Certain%20smell%20and%20taste%20disorders%20can%20be%20caused%20by%20certain%20medical%20conditions.

I also found this article though I’ve found nothing about brain procedures and loss of taste that hangs around as long as yours, it does have some suggestions that may help you Taste Disorders | NIDCD)

I do hope you find some answers and more importantly some help!

Thank you for your research. I reviewed this info and it is what I found on previous bouts of investigation. I suppose that I must have stumbled on an unusual disability from my aneurysm. In case another subscriber pops up with this problem, I would be interested in being connected. Evi

I hope someone has an answer for you Evi. Let us know if you try an ENT and what they say.