Drivinng

So I have lost my left peripheral vision. Its not new, that’s how I was diagnosed actually. Recently got it checked again it’s not improved after surgery. Anyway during my recovery my dr informed ministry about my vision and they revoked my license.
I am a stay home mom and 2 young boys, I am stuck at home can’t drive them to school or to their activities, grocery etc. I am so bored and depressed stuck at home all the time.
I want to know if there is anything that can help me let’s say if my vision won’t improve like any glasses or any special driving course I can do to get my license back?

Hey AIsha,

I've noticed that in Canada, the doctors tend to actually make reports to the Ministry/Motor Vehicle dept....whereas in the United States, its a rare thing to be 'reported' upon by a doctor or health care professional regarding someone's ability or inability in driving a car...With that said, does Canada offer provisional drivers licenses or place driving restrictions on driving priveli ges ? It sounds as though theres simply no inbetween (revoked sounds like a harsh tactic)!

I'd think about heading to the omphomoligist and see if there are any type of lenses that might help you out. I know that when I was recovering from my first clipping, the mere thought of not being able to drive again sent shivers thru me. Best of luck with this, Peace, Janet

Aisha...my very belated welcome...

There is the old "public safety first"....and, for parents... it is "child safety first"...

Did you have any eye surgery...or do you mean your aneurysm surgery?

Would the doc who checked it again recently...refer you to a neuro-ophthalmologist and/or to vision therapy?

Wishing you best results...

Pat

hi Aisha, so sorry you are enduring these hardships, did you have a sah? I did and I am blind left side too, I am from usa and I still have my drivers liscense but don't drive-I tried it and it was too scary even on backroads, there is another lady on here with the same issue in Ontario, I will mention this to her but doubtful she can help, don't be bored and depressed - stop by the chat room, people there will connect with you, my eye dr sold me glasses but they didn't help and he said I didn't have to wear them anymore, they were designed to let more light in the left side of pupil to spark the healing- I was so hopeful only to be crushed like a bug. they said vision might return might not and felt neglected. My heart goes out to you, hang in there things will get better, keeping you in thoughts and prayers~~

Hi Aisha...I do not drive either...it is tough...I am lucky to have friends and part of the year I live in the city so transportation for me is walking and taking a cab...

I am in the US...so I don't really know how you get a license back from ministry...that I am no help to you...~ wishing you a good day ~ Colleen

Hi Aisha

I have issues with peripheral vision in my left eye. I see double towards the left. I have a prism fitted to my glasses to correct this and I drive. I am in UK so probably different regulations but when my double vision was at its worst I still drove but wore an eye patch to cover 1 eye so I only had 1 image. This was all perfectly legal in UK.

I see an orthoptist who continues to assess my recovery in terms of this particular problem.

Hope you can get some advice and are able to drive again soon. I know how awful it is to feel trapped!

Love Jen xxx