Depression meds and sleep problems

I'm fairly new to this site and hope I'm posting my question in the right place. My husband is a little over 4 months out from having a SAH rupture. He was in the hospital and rehabs over 6 weeks. He's home now but we still go to rehab 2 to 3 times a week. He was recently put on anti-depressants due to really struggling with the depression. The problem is all he wants to do now is sleep. All day. I'm wondering if it could be the meds. Does anyone else have this problem? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I am no master of this but a newbie who had the op a coupke of weeks ago and I DO know fatigue is and headaches are the symptoms I have and you just have to shut your eyes ...I hope he is feeling better very very quickly

You are so right on the fatigue, he can sleep all day some days. He doesn't have headaches thankfully. But the vertigo has been horrible. Hope you're feeling better soon too. Thanks for replying.

jules said:

I am no master of this but a newbie who had the op a coupke of weeks ago and I DO know fatigue is and headaches are the symptoms I have and you just have to shut your eyes ...I hope he is feeling better very very quickly

Welcome...and, hope you get much more input... .

In my research, I have learned the pineal gland located on the roof of the 3rd ventricle, is the endocrine gland responsible for our circadian rhythms...and melatonin...

You may want to do some research and compare symptoms to ask your hubby's doc...for his/her opinion, diagnosis and guidance. Then, please share your results with us all.

Permalink Reply by Darcy choate 2 minutes ago Delete

I am a 6 year (SAH) Survivor and I can tell you that yes it happens , even more so with depression and more so with men. After all in most cases they were the bread winner , the protector, the rock. Then came the "Annie" and took it all away. Every thing that we knew to be our "normal" is changed, gone. We have to first get to the point where we accept that and then we can start creating a "new normal"</p> <p> I have found Support groups to be Fantastic because know one really knows what a survivor is or has gone threw then another. Not to mention a lot of them have caregivers there to and you get a better idea of what we are all about an what you may face down the line and not to mention a good way to make friends.
Well Jules I could go on forever and share so many things with you...however my annie mind cant stay focused long enough..lol
blessings, dee

Survivors Wife,

Glad to see you here...Welcome!

I am a 6 year (SAH) Survivor and I can tell you that yes it happens , even more so with depression and more so with men. After all in most cases they were the bread winner , the protector, the rock. Then came the "Annie" and took it all away. Every thing that we knew to be our "normal" is changed, gone. We have to first get to the point where we accept that and then we can start creating a "new normal"

I have found Support groups to be Fantastic because know one really knows what a survivor is or has gone threw then another. Not to mention a lot of them have caregivers there to and you get a better idea of what we are all about an what you may face down the line and not to mention a good way to make friends.

I could go on forever and share so many things with you...however my annie mind cant stay focused long enough..lol

blessings, dee

Everyone’s experience is different, but I offer mine/ours in case it helps. My husband’s aneurysm was almost 5 months ago. He still sleeps 15 hours a day. Going on antidepressants about 3 weeks ago did not make a difference in the amount he sleeps. i hope you acn find answers which alleviate your worries. There is so much to worry about.

Thanks so much Judy. We do have a MRI scheduled for the 22nd. He's doing better this past week, but as you know things are always changing. We celebrate ALL good days. Thanks for your response!

Judy In Ontario said:

Everyone's experience is different, but I offer mine/ours in case it helps. My husband's aneurysm was almost 5 months ago. He still sleeps 15 hours a day. Going on antidepressants about 3 weeks ago did not make a difference in the amount he sleeps. i hope you acn find answers which alleviate your worries. There is so much to worry about.

Thanks for your input. I'll look in to it. I'm always researching...so much unexplained and I'm just trying to figure it all out.

patioplans said:

In my research, I have learned the pineal gland located on the roof of the 3rd ventricle, is the endocrine gland responsible for our circadian rhythms...and melatonin...

You may want to do some research and compare symptoms to ask your hubby's doc...for his/her opinion, diagnosis and guidance. Then, please share your results with us all.

Darcy, I'm not sure why, but I can't see your reply to the discussion. I wasn't able to get on lately. Hope you'll share again if you can. Thanks!

Darcy choate said:

Permalink Reply by Darcy choate 2 minutes ago Delete

Hi Wife... one of our members set up the "Brain Basics" in the Brain Resources section...you may want to view that.... wishing continued great recovery....

survivor's wife said:

Thanks for your input. I'll look in to it. I'm always researching...so much unexplained and I'm just trying to figure it all out.

patioplans said:

Survivors Wife,

Lets try this again! Must have been one of my "annie" moves.. chit lol !

I am also a (SAH) survivor, just celebrated my 6 year mark. Your husbands time frame is mine to a tee. I can only speak for myself and what I have come across as a support group facilitator.

It is normal, I slept a lot as well.

I would suggest a support group they can be good for him as well as for you!

If you need need any one to bounce things off I am here.

Blessings, dee

Thanks Darcy, glad I got your message. I'm looking forward to him being over some of the hard stuff...it's all hard really. Last few days have been really good. His words are coming back better and he's not as depressed. He's still really dizzy and not very steady. Thanks for your input. I appreciate all the advice I can get.

Darcy choate said:

Survivors Wife,

Lets try this again! Must have been one of my "annie" moves.. chit lol !

I am also a (SAH) survivor, just celebrated my 6 year mark. Your husbands time frame is mine to a tee. I can only speak for myself and what I have come across as a support group facilitator.

It is normal, I slept a lot as well.

I would suggest a support group they can be good for him as well as for you!

If you need need any one to bounce things off I am here.

Blessings, dee

Your so very welcome...If I could give one piece of advice it would be to read "A Letter From The Brain" not just you but your husband as well..It will give an inside look of how things are for us as well as explain to us that yeah we did suffer brain damage.

I am a big believer of creating a "New Normal" and feel that when a survivor stops trying to be exactly the way they were before their ANNIE and stops putting the pressure to be that way and excepts they are a miracle by just being alive.

blessings, dee

Thanks Darcy,

You're so right. He just wants to be his old self again. I miss our old life too but I'm so thankful to have him alive and doing as well as he's doing. He got hit with a double dose with endocarditis, open heart surgery with now two mechanical valves right before the annie. We have to deal with blood thinners and healing from that too. Our faith, family and friends have helped us through the hardest times of our lives. Everyday is a day to celebrate! Blessing to you too! Kim
Darcy choate said:

Your so very welcome...If I could give one piece of advice it would be to read "A Letter From The Brain" not just you but your husband as well..It will give an inside look of how things are for us as well as explain to us that yeah we did suffer brain damage.

I am a big believer of creating a "New Normal" and feel that when a survivor stops trying to be exactly the way they were before their ANNIE and stops putting the pressure to be that way and excepts they are a miracle by just being alive.

blessings, dee

I know some anti depressants can make you very sleepy especially in the early days…also serious fatigue is a very common after effect of SAH so it sounds like your husband has a double whammy on the fatigue front. My experience is that rest is so very important in the early months so would suggest giving it a bit more time and then if there is no change talk to your doctor about the anti depressants and maybe change them if you can’t lower the dosage. But try not to worry …how does your husband feel when he wakes? Refreshed or groggy? That may also help decide if it’s due to the pills. All the best

I didn’t realise that your husband also had heart surgery…the body has an amazing ability to heal but it does need time and patience and after everything he has been through it will take some time to recover and it’s still early days. It took me a year to get back to work after my SAH and surgery - I love what Dee says about New Normal…will certainly look out for that Letter from the Brain thanks

Thanks Marion, it's been a really hard road. He's had so much to deal with... with the endocarditis and the brain aneurysm. He's definitely a miracle! He's not a patient man and gets so discouraged when he's not able to do things he used to do. I wish he could read, but that hasn't came back yet. Still working on finding his words. He very unstable and gets very dizzy when walking, bending, etc. Does this ever go away? He's also lost his peripheral vision on both sides :( It's so hard to see a hard working, strong man go through so much. But we are trusting God to bring us through.
Marion said:

I didn't realise that your husband also had heart surgery......the body has an amazing ability to heal but it does need time and patience and after everything he has been through it will take some time to recover and it's still early days. It took me a year to get back to work after my SAH and surgery - I love what Dee says about New Normal....will certainly look out for that Letter from the Brain thanks

Thanks Edwardo! My husband is also on Keppra. We see the neurosurgeon tomorrow and I'm hoping that he gets taken off of it. He has vertigo really bad. We thought it was going away. He went 2 weeks without getting sick but the last few days it's been back :( He's also sleeping less now. I need to read the New Normal if I can find it. Also, where do I find that Letter for the Brain? Thanks!
Edwardo said:

Hi Survivor's Wife , Fatigue and sleeping a lot has been the norm for my wife (sah 16 months ) I was very concerned about the amount of sleep she was getting , I quickly learned that keeping her awake caused increased weekness , memory lapse and confusion in proportion to the amount of sleep cut back . She was on Keppra and Amantadine and had hallucinations , saw dead people and strange animals constantly , Got her off the Amantadine and just recently the keppra . Didnt seem to do much for the sleep but it did clear her head a lot .

Darcy, Where can I find the "A letter from the brain"? Thanks!

Darcy choate said:

blessings, dee