Sleep troubles?

Anybody else have trouble going to sleep and/or staying asleep?

My sleep patterns were really messed up for a few months after SAH. I never slept more than a few hours at a time and definitely not in bed and through the night. I watched my caffeine intake, took relaxing bath and melatonin for a stretch of time to get back somewhat on track. Still not perfect but much better than where I started a few months ago.

Im probably not the best one to ask as my sleepin prior to my coiling was sporadic. I will say while it still isn't the best the more you can accomplish during the day has helped my sleep get less sporadic but still not ideal

I have tried everything there is. I find I get very hyper on some sleep medication. I can be awake for 36-40 hours. When I do sleep it's only for 15 or 20 minutes, and then 3 hours to catch another few minutes. The last month or so I've been taking 2mg of xanax and 100mg of trazodone. I'm not doping in the am either. At first I was prescribed 50mg of the trazodone with no results. I had my rupture in 1999. Hope this is some use to you. I know what it is like, been at it for years.

Yep! I wake up almost every night around 3 or 4, and many nights I can't get back to sleep. I've accepted it as my "new normal", but I don't like it!

It takes a terrible unhealthy toll on you. I've had other heath issues because of it.

Since my craniotomy and clipping of 5 aneurysms, 13 months ago, I've had trouble sleeping. It seems like my brain is always on alert, and cannot shut down. 2 months after my surgery, it was clear that I could not function on 2-3 hrs of sleep a night, and went for medical help. I was prescribed an anti-anxiety med which did help me fall asleep, and get about 5 hours of continuous sleep, and 1 or 2 hours of broken sleep. That's almost a year ago, and I still require the med to fall asleep. I have added natural products so I could cut down on the prescription drug. The combination works good for me. It's still not the ideal sleep (always, always dreaming - even in my sleep my brain seems to always work), or the sleep I had previous to surgery, but it's acceptable, and I can function much better. I've accepted the fact I have insomnia. It's part of my normal life now. If you have more questions about my experience, don't hesitate to write back. Wishing you the best.

Yes - I've had trouble getting to sleep at night ever since I came out of hospital.

My doctor refused to prescribe me any sleeping tablets as she said they are too addictive, and it took me several years to slowly get off the benzodiazepines for anxiety that they put me on in the hospital.

I started drinking 2 - 3 glasses of wine before bed, which enabled me to drop off, but my doctor was concerned that this was too much alcohol.

I was then recommended chamomile tea, which is soothing. Now I have some organic herbal teabags containing chamomile, valerian, lemon grass and a few other things for flavour. You let it steep for a full five minutes and can have one or two mugs before going to bed.

I also have two kinds of over-the-counter tablets - one contains valerian, the other contains anti-histamine which makes you drowsy - I take one or the other, not both! You can ask your local pharmacist or health food shop about these.

I take the tablets about 20 minutes before I go to sleep, then when I put out the light I lie and do some gentle breathing exercises until I drop off, letting all my muscles relax, starting from the top of my head and moving right down to my toes, and clearing my mind as far as possible.

I also avoid watching TV for at least an hour before going to bed. I read in bed instead.

This works pretty well. Good luck!

Yes. It does get better but you probably should discuss with dr get something for iy

I agree with everything posted and have same issue. Took awhile but after sleep studies and sleep hygiene research my sleep is improving. I try to stay in a sleep routine. I take melatonin and .5 mg of Zanax most nights. Cool room temp, dark, white noise, and specific pillow placement. I also cut TV, phone out before bed and read as well. Good luck, don’t give up. Its really tough tovdeal with sleep deprivation. Also not fair. But it will get better. I’m a few months past my 3 year anniversary. Brain Hemorrhage on new years 2012.

me too verna! the all natural Alteril had opposite effect and i couldn't get to sleep for hours which was never my poblem but staying aslep was!. It does get better with time i actually slept 7 hrs last night!! tc

verna brooks said:

I have tried everything there is. I find I get very hyper on some sleep medication. I can be awake for 36-40 hours. When I do sleep it's only for 15 or 20 minutes, and then 3 hours to catch another few minutes. The last month or so I've been taking 2mg of xanax and 100mg of trazodone. I'm not doping in the am either. At first I was prescribed 50mg of the trazodone with no results. I had my rupture in 1999. Hope this is some use to you. I know what it is like, been at it for years.

yes yes and yes to all, I think its the ptsd and the damages.It does get better hang in there dont give up. I'm swearing by sleepytime tea sinus soother, it really helps sinus's and i sleep better too, walmart discontinued so i got 8 boxes at amazon!!-lol i kinda panicked, tc Bless u & yours~ ps i am 6 yrs post sah next month!

Weird I’m opposite from every one. I sleep 9/10 hours a night. Be 4 my 4 brain opperations all I would sleep is 6/7.

I was shocked how little sleep I required after my craniotomy. The four days I was in the hospital I was awake (on my own) early in the morning, walking around and stayed wide awake when I had visitors. I never napped. I’d say it lasted for around four months until I was back to my usual sleep patterns. Good luck!

My brain never shuts off. It just keeps racing on. I can think of 5 or 6 things all at once. Even songs mixed kid and bad things that happened to me when I was a kid.

Like Sarge, I too woke up around the same time each morning and had trouble getting back to sleep. A short time after clipping, I developed seizures and was soon diagnosed with sleep apnea. I now get at least 6 to 7 hours of sleep, far better than the 3 or 4 previously. I attribute this all to the C-pap machine.

i live in W A state. i smoke a little pot before i get in bed. it works for me.

May 18 marked my 7 year anniversary of my rupture…sleep…ha! A few hours then…well here I am at 12am shocked be zzzzzzzz.
But…so Happy to be alive…whew that was a close one!

Thanks for all your replies to my question. It's good to know that I am not the only one with this problem. The past couple of nights have been pretty good for sleeping. The first night I took a couple Tylenol half an hour before bed and last night I took the Tylenol bottle up with me and put it on the nightstand, just in case I woke up with a headache.

hi rachel! please be careful with the tylenol, drink lots of water and do not mix with alcahol, i lost my sister caregiver from that very thing, tc xoxo

Rachel1 said:

Thanks for all your replies to my question. It's good to know that I am not the only one with this problem. The past couple of nights have been pretty good for sleeping. The first night I took a couple Tylenol half an hour before bed and last night I took the Tylenol bottle up with me and put it on the nightstand, just in case I woke up with a headache.