Depression in Unruptured vs. Ruptured

Carol...

I had noted below about the limbic system...

Today www.king5.com/health/treating-depression-in-preschoolers-249654491....

and, about our amygdala... Tho this article is geared on the preschoolers... the amygdala is the amygdala...on emotions...This article is another GG... for data on amygdala and emotions...

to help many form questions for their docs...

Pat, thanks for sharing. I will read as I need as much info as possible. It is great to be "armed" when we can. I handled that situation. I posted on their site and said "

I was surprised by both surgeons' comments at the last meeting that people who have had unruptured aneurysm clippings do not suffer from depression or other "serious" side effects. Personally, I had to overcome many side effects including mild depression, cognitive and vision challenges, and severe spiking headaches (which I never suffered from before my triple clipping). The impression was given that this was not a serious procedure ("just tip the brain out and put a clip ...in.") I was very lucky that my neurosurgeon, from the neurological group at New York Presbyterian Columbia, recognized these side effects and convinced me to add a neurologist to my team for long-term follow-up care. He, working with her, helped me tremendously in my recovery. I think my main concern was if there were someone in the meeting who was struggling, on top of dealing with a TBI, it would definitely hinder their recovery process to hear a generalization such as this from such well-respected neurosurgeons." I could not wait two months until the next meeting :) Carol

Good for you Carol,

I can't believe respected neurosurgeons are stiill so ignorant to our suffering. Back in 1980, I was told clipping was not any worse than getting your appenidix out. It is defenitely important than people know exactly what can happen so they can cope. After the bleed, I was told I would never walk again by them & I remember telling them "Yeah, just watch me? My roomate at the time, unfortunately, believed them & her rehabilitation really suffered by those statements neurosurgeons make just off the cuff like that......Thanks to you for speaking up, maybe they will choose their words more carefully, now! Bless you! BTW I do walk......crooked and wobbly, but I do walk!

Surgeons are simple minded fellows, if they have done a procedure which looks successful on imaging and the patient can walk and talk it is a success. The patient is alive and doesn't have massive disability due to a stroke. A success. As a physician I recognise there is more to success than the simple surgical view. Success is all about return to normal activities and life. I too was told similar things by the surgeon and radiologist at the time my unruptured aneurysm was treated. I'd be back to work in a couple of weeks. At 4 months when I pointed out my problems the feedback was that that wasn't surprising as it was an 'awfully big aneurysm'. Now at 2 years I'm still unable to work, mainly due to fatigue, but also with cognitive problems. I've searched the medical literature and long term cognitive problems are documented after unruptured aneurysm repair both by clipping and coiling (the traditional surgical view is that coiling has no long term consequences), but the papers are mainly in the rehab and neuropsychology journals, which of course surgeons have no interest in. Much of the research has been done in Europe, and is therefore also probably of reduced interest to USA surgeons. Despite the published literature I do feel it has been a battle to persuade the clinicians caring for me that the problems are real (and not just stress). However, the neuropsychologists have been much more understanding and accepting that I have acquired brain injury and have been helpful and supportive. If any one wants a list of published papers I can email it. J

Judith, I am very interested in the list of published papers, as I am being told to choose which procedure I want either coiling or this new SILK flow diversion and REALLY WHAT DO I KNOW????? One time was gullible, now not so much LOL! But, do you believe they leave it up to the patient? Actually was given papers and told to search the internet for help to make my decision!!! Thanks for the info , now how do we do this? dee in Ontario, Canada

Hello Dee, I'll have a go at uploading a .pdf file.

238-OvidTechnologies2.pdf (91.2 KB)

Judith...

There is an absolute humor in the minimally invasive coiling...I would appreciate the published papers you note...

Pat

Carol...you are more than welcome...RE: thearticle...ironic that would come forward in the media...on amygdala apx a week after I had responded to Eve33 re: the limbic system...

the amygdala and emotions... It has taken me ten years of recovery to learn the word limbic...and, then begin to see it...and, begin to comprehend it...I do not know...and, have not gotten an answer, if it takes up the whole medial temporal lobe...or only a portion of it...

I did note a lot on the limbic to Eve33 earlier...and, felt blessed the media coverage of the current article...tho on pre-schoolers...it addresses the amygdala...those of us who survived likely do still have the amygdala...tho highly likely malfunctioning...like our parenchyma and our glial cells ending in gliosis...

thanks Judith

I had a clipping for an unruptured annie. I suffered NO complications and recovered "with flying colors" (per my surgeon). I sure as hell suffered from a bout of depression. For crying out loud. My scalp was cut open ear to ear. They cut out a chunck of my forehead. I was in the ICU and hospital for 6 days. I puked for about 4 says straight. My husband had to help me to the bathroom and shower. Family members came to take care of me and my family because I could not. I now have a scar on my head that is a DAILY reminder of what I have been through. Geez, I am getting angry writing this. How very ignorant to proclaim that nobody with a non-ruptured annie suffers from depression. I would have stood up and told them how very wrong they were. Hugs to you Carol.

Terri

I'm just so sorry I let everyone down by not screaming out loud at the meeting. I was just so overwhelmed and shocked by the comments. I guess I felt so alone there. Nobody said a peep. I know now that there were probably others thinking the same think I was thinking. Since the time I posted my comments on their page there have been "likes" and I have now found out that he too understands what I was feeling. I do feel that I can now open up the discussion at the next meeting and that all of you will be standing behind me cheering me on and supporting me as I speak! :)

I bet many people were feeling and thinking the same as you. However, I think a lot of times you have someone "in a white coat" standing there speaking, it can be intimidating to disagree. You did not let anyone down.

Terri

I also went through a depression. I still think I battle with it But seems to be easier at this point. I have my 2 year angiogram in less than a month so the emotions are running Alittle higher than normal.