Craniotomy scar questions

Hello- I apologize in advance if this is gross, please delete if not appropriate.

I had a craniotomy almost 3 months ago (March 1) and there are parts of my scar that are still scabby. Picture was taken a few weeks ago but still looks about the same. A couple spots have never really fully lost the scabs (two dots near the top). Some spots that had been free of scabs seem like they have a “2nd round” of scabs that have formed (dark patch above ear). Is this normal?

My surgeon did not shave my hair at all, but it did thin significantly after surgery. A lot of hair came off with the scabs, and some seems to be “ingrown” in the healed incision. I wonder if that isn’t contributing to the lingering scabs.

PS-Don’t judge my grays! Waiting for the scabs to clear before dye it :joy:

Hey Nicki,
No, it’s not gross. It’s the reality of it all, it’ll heal with time.

That’s looking fairly good for 3months in my opinion. It’s a nice even colour so no redness from infection and it seems to have meshed together fairly well too. As for the scabs, they will eventually dry up completely and fall off. Our body uses the scab as a type of protection, to stop bacteria/infection getting in and for the newer skin to develop fully underneath. If your body has produced a further scab, it’s because it needed to. Don’t worry, it too will dry up and disappear.

My surgeon shaved the whole side of my head and the ingrown hairs were a huge issue the entire length of the incision as the hair follicle was buried inside of the wound where it was folded and stapled, so I can understand why they didn’t shave it. But honestly, I wish my surgical site was looking as healed, clean and tidy as yours after 3 months.

P.S. Don’t worry about the grey’s either, they’ll still hide what’s underneath. I’m going bald, so I can’t even hide it with hair anymore. I’m lucky I can wear a hat :smile: That hides it all.

Merl from the Modsupport Team

4 Likes

I would talk to your doctor about it. If you are truly getting a second round of scabs and it’s weeping you should have it checked out. It looks pretty good to me but I’m not a doctor and it shouldn’t ooze or scab after 3 months.

2 Likes

HI Nicky,
I agree with Merl that you look good for 3 months! I had one staple that was really deep and that area on my scalp took much longer to heal than the rest of the incision site. I did have areas that look just like yours, honestly. I lost a ton of hair after my craniotomy; about half of it, but it did grow back. It was really hard for me to be kind to myself. I was very upset about how my hair looked and when one of my friend’s commented about my “cute little bangs” I started to cry. They were not cute little bangs, it was regrowth. But I always remind myself that I am still here, and I just survived a second procedure on the same aneurysm, so I am really grateful!

I hope you have a great rest of your weekend!
Kim

4 Likes

OUCH Kim, that touched a raw nerve for me.
I was VERY self conscious about it all. I caught 2 people having a quiet conversation about me, I listened from behind a door, walked around the corner and just exploded at the pair of them. I DO NOT need others passing judgement, I’m harder on judging myself, I don’t need external opinions. I get enough of that from the medicos.

Many years ago I was sent to a drug and alcohol rehab, one of the rules was ‘No facial hair and No hair longer than your collar’. When I got out I swore I’d never be returning and I never cut my hair again. Then they operated, shaving 1/2 my head, so I had to shave the other 1/2, it really took me straight back to rehab. Ohh that was a nasty little trip, I couldn’t grow it long again quick enough for my liking :smile: but as you say ‘It does grow back…’

1 Like

I’ve not had the experience of a craniotomy, and it’s one I’d like not to have…but I was wondering after reading the posts here, can a person put vitamin e oil on the site?

Just wondering,
Moltroub

2 Likes

ME TOO!!! :smile: Ohh damn it… …too late :crazy_face:

My understanding is that, yes they can but it’s often recommended only after the scab has naturally gone. That scab is hard on the outside for a reason, using an oil can soften the scab and this can allow an infection/parasite easier access.

1 Like

Yes and yes! I remember using Vit E oil on my elongated scar for back surgery after all the scabbing was done and the doc gave his ok.

Thanks Merl!
Moltroub

Thank you everyone for the replies, I feel so much better!! There has never been any oozing or weeping, it’s almost like the “new” scabs are coming from deeper inside and/or related to the ingrown hairs. The hair loss has luckily been limited to the area immediately surrounding the incision. As long as I don’t intentionally part my hair like in the picture, you can’t see it at all.

2 Likes

@IrstblBlis I am glad you feel better! That is what we are here for!! I could hide my incision pretty well too, but my hair is blonde and fine, and the hair loss made it look stringy and just all together unattractive. Still a small price to pay for time on earth IMO…

Cheers,
Kim

1 Like

The “others” as I call them are so ignorant and unkind at times. Everyone has their own story to tell, but until you have walked a mile (or a block) in our shoes, it is easy to pass judgement. One of things that bothers me the most, is my “friends” will check in on me, but they don’t really ask me to do anything. It might be because this last procedure wasn’t even a month ago, but they could at least ask!!

OHH YEA, VERY EASY.
My niece also had neurosurgery and has recovered relatively well. She and her partner came to visit one day, he came out with the line ‘Well, she’s OK, so what’s your problem. Just go back to work…’ I was so annoyed.

About 2 months later he’s laid up, at home with gout. So I used his words back at him ‘Well, she’s OK, so what’s your problem. Just go back to work…’ I could see his blood instantly boil, he was not happy. So, I just reminded him ‘Yea see, it’s not nice. Is it? You can come to my place and pass judgement on me and that’s OK, but when it’s fed back to you, you don’t like that. Hmmm funny that isn’t it…’ He knew damn well what I was talking about, the others present didn’t really know what was going on, but they knew from his reaction he was not happy. But the arrogant sod got the message loud and clear. He hasn’t made a comment since.

1 Like

Oh my Merl, you sure gave a great lesson!

@phoenix33 i know where your at…once I went over to my bf’s who had gone up North to see their grandchildren. I went over and cleared their drive from all the acorns. I used to take their trash cans to the road but they stopped asking. So I just took it upon myself to do something for them. The caveat is when people I know forget that I may not be able to do something and then they get upset because I cannot. Rest assured you are helping many members here, including myself. if that’s any consolation.

All the best,
Moltroub

1 Like

Hi Merl,
Why are people so cruel? And it seems to be those closest to us. Before my open surgery in 2016 my husband kept comparing it to his neck and back surgeries…hmmm but my head is getting cut open. This last time he really, really, really upset me. He sat on his ipad and did nothing to help me get better nursing care. I developed 2 major bleeding complications (groin hematoma and wrist hematoma where the art line was) under my first nurse’s watch. I asked him to go get the nurse manager. You know what I got? An eyeroll! People have told me it’s because he’s a physician and immune to pain and complaining. Well, I am still not over it. We got into a huge row about a week after I got home. I told him I blame him for the hematomoas (which I really don’t now). At any rate, I hope my anger fades in time. I think I need to talk to my counselor to find out how to let this go. It’s really an unhealthy thing to carry around resentment. One day at a time I guess. It hasn’t been a month yet. Thanks for listening.
Kim

@Moltroub the expectations the “others” have of us is unbelievable. You are a true warrior and you have the most amazing stories. You have helped so many people and you continue to fight your own battles. That is why this community is so important. I am glad I am a Mod as it truly gives me a purpose and I love to help others. That is what makes me happy.

2 Likes

I ‘try’ to remind myself “Passing judgement is easy, standing on the outside” but if they ever had to deal with the realities of it all you can bet they’d want some understanding too. The problem is 90% of them will never be in this situation.

I also believe that many people use what I call ‘The broken bone theory’ ie You break your leg. It affects your leg. You go to hospital. They plaster your leg and 6-8weeks later its all healed and Life goes back to normal. But we’re not talking about a broken bone, this is about the brain, our body’s CPU (Central Processing Unit). If you opened your computer case and threw in a hand full of aluminium foil flakes the system would have short circuits all over the place and that’s IF your computer EVER works properly again at all. The surgeons have disturbed those ultra fine circuitries in the brain and that can affect all of the body’s processes.

You’ve had major brain surgery, it doesn’t just affect the brain though. It can affect EVERYTHING and no 2 people are exactly the same, no 2 surgeries are are exactly the same and no 2 outcomes are exactly the same. With a broken bone it maybe easy to draw a direct parallel between 2 scenarios, but doing so with neurosurgery does not appreciate the individual patient nor their individual scenario.

Comprehending all of this can be overwhelming and some people simply can’t (or won’t). I’ve tried to explain my scenario to some medicos and even they often look at me as if I have a third eye growing out of my forehead and make comments like “Well, that just CAN’T be happening…” but it is. Now if these fully trained professions don’t understand how can the layperson? Even as the patient it’s difficult to grasp, but we have no choice, we have to live with it.

And Phoenix “…I am glad I am a Mod as it truly gives me a purpose…” I totally agree. It allows us to share our experiences with each other because this really can be such an isolating journey. Sharing reduces that isolation ie ‘So, I’m not the only one…’. I can tell you when I found ‘Ben’s’ is was a huge "Phew, Me Too…’ moment.

2 Likes

I think it looks like it’s healing well. Scalp healing seems to go a bit differently from other skin, but for three months that looks really good. I think my own was pink and mottled for at least 6 months. Keep up the good work.

2 Likes

@phoenix33 my first reaction is to tell your husband I have had both lumbar fusion and four brain procedures and I’ll take the fusion any day of the week, it’s a walk in the park! But then I think I better let you defend yourself, my friend. I realize you addressed this part to Merl, but I just needed to give my 2 cents, laugh because I am…,

I used to be quite adept at debates and often would change my side in the middle confusing the heck out of the one I was debating with, guess I learned that in college. So I’m going to switch to your husband’s defense for a moment. Any one, and I do mean anyone, that has spent time in a helping profession be it physician, therapist, social worker, etc has to build up walls for personal protection. I hope you understand that. To be in the medical field or helping field, patients/clients are lost in some way and those that are in the roles of being a helper learn not to take it personally, thus the walls come up, it is a matter of survival or you cannot do the job for long. Unfortunately, those walls just don’t come down with the people we love as over the years, they become innate I believe the word is. I don’t know your husband, but I imagine that he really isn’t “immune to pain and complaining”. He just stores it somewhere and tries to deal with it in a different manner. I used to do it with my hobbies and gardening was one of them. I’d have a fight with the weeds lol.

I’m really happy to read you’re not blaming your husband for the hematomas. I also think reaching out to your counselor is a grand idea! One of the things I’ve learned about men and women is that we process information and conversation differently. In my experience, most women can sit at the table and have a long conversation, whereas with men, they do more talking while their hands are busy. When your anger has subsided a bit more, write down what you think he should have done for you and what he did do, be objective as if you were a fly on the wall watching everything. If you find the list lacking in compassion on his part or rather what you think he should’ve done, wait for a time when he is doing something busy with his hands, try to help him if you can and begin the conversation. Take full responsibility for your behavior and kindly let him know what you feel you needed. My guess is that he was probably really scared and just went to his “safe” place. He may still be a bit frightened and just can’t face it without you. Be strong, find the right time and I feel positive you will get through this!

And @phoenix33 thank you for the very kind words!

All the best,
Moltroub

Hi @Moltroub!
You are ALWAYS welcome to comment back to me. You give really good advice, and you did this time as well. I do believe you are correct in that he was probably more afraid than he let on. I could over hear him talking to friends and family on the phone, and he certainly relayed that I was in bit of a pickle. This whole thing happened so quickly, and it was news we were not expecting since Dr. Spetzler told us this aneurysm was obliterated. I try not to think about the fact it’s a blister aneurysm, and I usually don’t, but he might? This adds another layer of fear for sure. I will write down what he did well and what he needs to improve upon. I definitely agree physicians have their own way of dealing with things.

My one month f/u CTA is tomorrow. I am sure all will be ok. My question is, if they couldn’t see the residual/regrowth aneurysm on MRA/CTA for the last 5 years (if it was there that long), why do they think they will be able to visualize it now? I was told the clip is throwing off so much artifact that this is the reason we did not catch the problem until an angiogram was done.

Hugs,
Kim

i consicer myself a sort of scar expert. I have a 6 inch scar accross the back of my head, a 12 inch scar down the center of my chest, and two 5 inch scars down the middle of my back, one that was made just 7 days ago to remove a growth inside my spine. I can tell you no two scars have healed the same, and no amount of over the counter scar remedies made a lick of difference.

As others have said, hair is always an issue, unless like me, you have less and less every year. In fact, just this week I took the plunge and shaved my head for the first time since I was a kid. My wife took a picture of the back of my head and said, you may not like the way this scar looks Keep in mind, I had never seen the scar before. Aftter staring at the image for a full minute, and considering the complete absence of hair above it, I said, “well, people standdig behind me at the market will think I’m smiling.”

Just give it time and whatever you do, no matter how much it itches, don’t pick at it! Best of luck.

scarback

4 Likes