Covid and Recent Aneurysm Surgery

Has anyone spoken with their doctor about whether there are any additional risks for those of us with treated unruptured aneurysms and covid?

It’s going around my children’s school it seems and having had a web device put in to treat my unruptured aneurysm, I was wondering if covid would pose us any additional risk than those who do not have aneurysms.

1 Like

I ruptured way before COVID came into our lives here in the USA. I asked my Neurosurgeon about getting vaccinated and she said absolutely, that she and her staff were already vaccinated. BH and I both had to have our vaccinations prior to my Neuroform Atlas Stent put in which was during the time hospitals didn’t have many beds for elective procedures. We just got the last vaccination this week as BH is going to be out of State for a week. The way all my doctors have explained it vaccinations for COVID are like any other, doesn’t mean you won’t get it, but you won’t get as bad a case just like a flu shot. In my experience, day cares, schools and hospitals are similar in they have quite the breeding ground for viruses, I’d suggest making sure your vaccinations are up to date for everything.

1 Like

Hello Cloudy!
My aneurysm has been treated since I had it clipped almost 5 years ago when it ruptured. I have had Covid 2 times. First time was on March 2021, right after I had my angiogram and the second time was on May 2022. It was really scary because I didn’t know what to expect but it was not bad. My doctor wanted me to take Tylenol every 4 hours I believe to control my headaches. No issues after that other than feeling tired and lack of appetite for about a week .
Hope this helps.
Take care!

2 Likes

My wife (and me) tested positive for COVID right after New Years this year. For me, it was the weirdest thing… I felt horrible for two days then woke up feeling like nothing ever happened. Whole thing, from starting to feel symptoms to being back to normal was about five days.

She, on the other hand, took longer to recover and might have reached only 70% of “normal” after a few months. A cardiologist mentioned that she might have “long COVID” but that seems to be a poorly understood constellation of things that have no definitive definitions, diagnoses or treatments. Maybe it weakened her and made recoveries, from anything, more difficult.

In any event, most medical tests and procedures would not happen if she was testing positive for COVID, which she did not after January. Whether a COVID infection would affect an un-ruptured aneurysm is probably subject to a great deal of speculation and uncertainty by the medical community.

We have had the COVID situation for about only four years. That is not much time to learn a lot about that illness. Perhaps try to put your concerns into the context of what is known for sure and what will help you the most. Too much energy placed in uncertainties is less energy available for what really matters… staying well for yourself and for your loved ones.

3 Likes

No worries I got the vaccine and was boosted without a problem. My BA ruptured in1998. I’m still here. Don’t worry so much! :wink:

3 Likes

@cloudy
To my understanding there is no enhanced risk if we get Covid. Our aneurysms are treated.
My aneurysm ruptured when we had the first wave of the virus, luckily I didn’t get it while I was in the hospital, and I haven’t gotten it yet……
I have had all the vaccines available plus the latest booster.
I must say that the best thing I have ever read on our site was when a fellow brain aneurysm patient asked the physician about something and the answer was something like this
don’t let your brain aneurysm that is now successfully treated dictate your life “
Sometimes it is easier said than done.
All the best to you.

3 Likes

That’s great everyone. Thanks for the reply’s!

1 Like

That is the best advice and so very true, the doctor said!

2 Likes