Confabulation

Is anyone familiar with confabulation? mom seems to have this, its only been a few days since her rupture & surgery she is having elaborate false memories and extreme short memory loss. I am looking for stories of hope that this will improve. Thank you.

158-braininjusyandmemory.docx (213 KB) 159-TheTruthAboutConfabulation.docx (186 KB)

JK...there are many levels of these issues...and, what diagnosis will be given to your mother's state...over time...suggest you also get a list of the drugs she is one...and, if any antibiotics are included...ask, ask, ask...

I have just so begun promoting an article by the Cleveland Clinic on Stroke...that is really geared to the newer tPA ischemic drug...however, the article is magnificent on the anatomy of the brain... and notes Hemorrhage (ICH) and subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH) ...

Search: Stroke ... look for theirs...it was only a few steps down the google line...

May help you with questions to the doctors and for the appropriate testing..

Prayers for recovery...

Pat

After my rupture I had crazy dreams which I couldnt tell were not real, hallucinations and short term memory was almost non existent. Is she still in hospital?

Very familiar - I was convinced I was recovering in Norway and couldn't figure out how my family got to me everyday, and I called 911 (lost my phone privileges) to find my husband for me :)…that was all March 2012 to August 2012 - even today a random memory will pop in my mind and I will ask my family about it and find it was made up…things do get better with time - I am actually heading back to work tomorrow for the first time in over 2 years. Best wishes to your mom…Mary

Thank you for sharing this Mary. I am sorry for what you have been through but it sounds similar to what my mom might be going through and it is great to hear it gets better over time . Thanks and congrats and best wishes on going back to work :slight_smile:

Thank you So much Pat - I will read the info you suggested and thank you for your prayers. My best, Jess

Yes she is in the hospital for a couple of more weeks. I have been told her memories and behavior are typical based on what she had been through. It is her conviction in these false memories that has concerned me. That is what prompted me to search on line and reach out. I do trust her doctors and nurses but people that have been through it can give the best insight . Thank you for your comment :slight_smile: Jess

jken, apparently I was telling the nurses of "missions" I had been on and the people I killed (kind of embarrassing!). the nurses were so convinced they asked my husband if I was in the army. I was also convinced a male nurse in icu was Hank from breaking bad lol. my brain just couldnt tell the difference between reality and fiction but the nurses and doctors are used to this sort of thing, the patients in my ward were likely to say just about anything! A lot of what she is saying right now is just coming from a brain that is pretty muddled up and it's likely she wont remember much of it in a few weeks. If she goes into vasospasm it may get worse and more crazy but it just means her brain isnt functioning properly right now, getting confused and all sorts of things are likely to come out. My short term memory problems lasted for months after I got out of hospital but it gradually gets better.

Yes I will be staying connected here through this process I am so glad I found you all

You are not the only one - I am quicker to anger now and have no filter that stops the bad words - happily, this too is getting better with time.

I am so grateful for you sharing your story. I am sorry for what you went through and I and I glad you are doing better. Today my mother told her nurse how she used to work for a dentist (which she did in the 80's) and how he used to do a lot of illegal things :) but mostly she talks about friends she has not seen in Many years and she says how she just saw them yesterday. She talks a lot about "the show"... did you see the show? are we going to the show? did her brother like the show? The nurse had advised me there will be ups and downs, but today was a good day - she seemed to really think about things before saying them. I think there were things she decided to keep to herself 'cause she was not sure. Again, thank you so much for sharing :)

I think you will find that everyone with a burst aneurysm has gone through this. I was convinced my brother was living under my hospital bed and would tell all the doctors and nurses. Every time I would fall asleep and wake up I couldn’t remember what happened to me. Drove my husband nuts!!! Even claimed that my husband stole my purse!! After 7 years still have some memory problems but working full time. Things will get better!!

Thank you Chris :)