Coiling questions

Hi all,
I am set to have my aneurysm coiled this Friday July 10th. Of course I am nervous but what I am looking for is anyone who has has this procedure done on an unruptured aneurysm and what outcome/residual effects were so I can be as prepared as possible. Thank you in advance for your input!

Hi Krispiek - I had an aneurysm coiled on July 8, 2014 in Burlington, MA. I am one of the luckiest people, no headaches, no vision problems. I went back to work in less than a month. But what is happening to me is my apparent lack of filter on my mouth. I am now “saying it like it is” to anyone who pushes me. I have been told that I say what everyone is thinking, but afraid to say it. It has happened both professionally and personally. I have an angiogram appointment coming up on July 13 and will ask the doctors then. I am a 54 year old woman and am not sure if it’s my age or a result of the coiling? But overall, I have to say it was very successful. I wish you the best of luck!

I have had coiling on one ruptured one and on an unruptured one. Everything has been good in the unruptured one. No compacting or anything. Coils in and was it. The coils in the ruptured one compacted after 18 months and I had to go back and have more added. My initial rupture was in February 2012. I have been back to work full time for a while. I still have short term memory issues but at nearly 60 yrs old not everything is worth remembering. Good wishes to you. Please keep us posted.

I had coiling and a stent put in on 10/2011 on my unruptured annie. I was in the hospital for 3 days, which I was initially told 2 days. I did have pretty severe headaches, which slowly went away by 1 month's end, however, I was having trouble getting them under control at the hospital. They tried quite a few meds and I kept asking for fioricet, which I had read here from other people that that was the med that helped them. It did the trick - I took Fioricet and oxy 5 for the first month and then they were gone and I haven't had any more problems with headaches.

My outcome is good - I get MRA's annually and the coiling and annie has been stable since. I do have to take 325 aspirin the rest of my life because of the stent, but also haven't had problems with that. I did have pretty severe fatigue afterward plus a few other really unusual side effects that still bother me to some degree, but these are not usual. Most people are up and around in no time. Just be prepared that you may have bad headaches and fatigue - I found with the fatigue I just had to lay down and sleep. Good luck and let us know how you are afterward when you are able.

Hi…I had my coiling procedure done on my RCA in December 20014 and was back to work in 2 weeks. Also, just had my follow up cerebral angiogram this week and the doc says if it looks this great after my next 6 month angiogram then all I have to do in future is a yearly MRI. So in reality it was pretty easy for me, just the original anxiety is what freaked me out. So hope it goes great for you as well!!!

Myra. I love your response I had coiling on ruptured In 2013. I am doing fine so far. My issues can afterward due to fear of the unexpected. But with much prayer and support I am doing ok.

Hi

My coiling for a Basilar tip large unruptured aneurysm was 2 years ago this July 27. I can't tell you exactly what to expect since I don't know your location and size, etc., but will say generally, that if it is unruptured and treated and if your outcome is anything like mine, my angio at 8 months post-op showed the coils and stent did what it was supposed to and the aneurysm is totally gone.

Best wishes and prayers for a successful outcome and speedy recovery. Nervous is normal!!

Sheryl

I had 10 mm unruptured annie coiled exactly.one year ago at Nottingham qmc. I came home at lunchtime the next day. Had a slight headache a bit tired but abolutely fine and elated it was over. The anxiety before I found much wo re than the actual.procedure. I went shopping the next day.and back to work after two Weeks. Follow up MRI showed good closure of Annie so follow up.in twelve months. . Good luck for Friday sure you will.be fine.

Krispiek - everyone and every brain is different so I’m told:). Like Sherry and others have shared, fatigue is normal. I would suggest taking a look at Michele’s discussion on getting prepared for clipping. Understandably they are different procedures but it’s better to lighten the load on yourself for several weeks following any procedure. I learned that here! I ruptured and six months later they found another and it was coiled. I don’t know if the fatigue changed as I was still getting over my rupture.

Keep us posted, remember to breathe!

My Dad had a stent without coils but the operation is similar. He is back home now and resting, op was just over a month ago. The main thing is probably that he's very tired. He'll have a good day and go out in to the garden etc and then he sleeps for the next three days! But he is 65 years old and he had other health issues before this too. Other than that, he doesn't get dizzy too much, just occasionally. But really, you will be in good hands and before you know it, the operation will be over and you shall be resting up. Get lots of books to read! x

Thank you all for all your replies so far. It’s so helpful to have people who have been through it. Mine is a basilar tip 5mm aneurysm. It was found incidentally last year when I had Bell’s palsy. They watched it for a year but have seen some changes so time to get it repaired. I know I will be very tired so I am prepared for that. I know how lucky I am to be able to get it repaired before a rupture happened as that could be catastrophic. It’s still scary though so fingers crossed for a smooth procedure and smooth recovery

Hello- I had an ICA 5 cm coiled with balloon angioplasty 3 weeks ago. I had double vision for around 30 minutes. I have mild fatigue and a feeling of just getting off a roller coaster (which is getting better). the sensation has nothing to do with position. I do notice it more when I "push" myself. I returned to work half days twice a week (push self) and am up to walking 3 miles (push self). I have been very lucky to have had no other issues. I only spent 1 day in neuro ICU. Good luck to you.

Glad your dad is doing well. I had forgotten "the recipe" = work 1 day, sleep for three. That was pretty much me - it does get much better.

Yours is also a basilar tip (as was mine), which is supposed to be more rare - I used to not see so many people with that location. It's true that the worst is before the surgery

Francy...you are one of the miracles...you have been blessed...

the "aging"...has been used...one who was considerably younger than you... (not me...I am the senior...)

Francy said:

Hi Krispiek - I had an aneurysm coiled on July 8, 2014 in Burlington, MA. I am one of the luckiest people, no headaches, no vision problems. I went back to work in less than a month. But what is happening to me is my apparent lack of filter on my mouth. I am now "saying it like it is" to anyone who pushes me. I have been told that I say what everyone is thinking, but afraid to say it. It has happened both professionally and personally. I have an angiogram appointment coming up on July 13 and will ask the doctors then. I am a 54 year old woman and am not sure if it's my age or a result of the coiling? But overall, I have to say it was very successful. I wish you the best of luck!

I have had short term memory blanks for a while it has become a standing joke with my friend however I had not put the two together until I have just read your post hopefully this will improve after my op xx

wow I thought falling asleep every time I sat down was just normal for me seems its aslos related to my worm lol love this site

Myra said:

I have had coiling on one ruptured one and on an unruptured one. Everything has been good in the unruptured one. No compacting or anything. Coils in and was it. The coils in the ruptured one compacted after 18 months and I had to go back and have more added. My initial rupture was in February 2012. I have been back to work full time for a while. I still have short term memory issues but at nearly 60 yrs old not everything is worth remembering. Good wishes to you. Please keep us posted.

Krispiek- we’ll all be keeping you in our thoughts and well wishes this day. Good Luck, it will be over before you know it!

Hi all
I am 12 hours post coiling. Laying in the icu doing pretty good. Just feel a little like I was hit by a bus but everything went perfect according to my doctors. Thank you all for your replies and good wishes!

Krispiek, this great news. You came through this so well, 12 hours later you are letting us know. (:

sorry I am late to this response, I had mine coiled on May 14, 2015. I was so frightened of the whole procedure. when waking up from the procedure yeah i felt groggy, but was up and walking around and discharged the next day. the biggest thing that hurt the most was the minx placed in the groin area.