Brain aneurysm and insurance

I was wondering how the new diagnosis of an aneurysm affects ability to get health insurance ?Does getting it treated make it easier to get insurance in the future ? How about life insurance ? Is it still possible to get that with an aneurysm being watched ?

I wish I could give you some answers to your questions...except I can answer "Life Insurance"...you can get life insurance it is just you will pay alot more for having any illness's ...

Thanks Colleen..I am going to discuss with the HR at my hospital and get some insight into this. I am good for now but just wondering ....I am sure these are some issues people run into with any major diagnosis...

That is a good idea Ashhan...and any information you find out that would be helpful to the site, please share...~

hi theres a group on here you might want to join about insurance-check it out!

I think it is next year due to Omabacare, health insurance companies can not turn you down for per-existing health conditions. But that does not mean they can't charges very high premiums.

As for life insurance, that all depends. Years ago after it was discovered I had an aortic aneurysm, I could not get life insurance at any price. Then a couple of years after that successful surgery one company agreed to give me short term life insurance policy but at a very high rate. Luckily I already had a whole life policy before any of this began. With a whole life policy the rates never change and they can never cancel you as long as you pay. The key is to have a policy before any major health issues are discovered. Whole life policy are much more expensive than term policies but they have some benefits.

Now that I have had a brain aneurysm rupture in addition to the above, I am basically insurable as far as life insurance goes. I have health and life coverage through work, but if something there changes it will be difficult but not impossible to get covered.

Hello Tony,

Well...my freind and I went to AAA to pay our yearly roadside service contract..while I was there , a very pushy gentleman kept nagging away at me about how fabulous their life insurance coverage was and why wouldn't I at least sit down a moment with him to discuss thier excellent plans...finally I relented....All it took was for me to utter the words "Aneurysm 1997, anuerysm 2006, brain surgery....(Etc etc) --the insurance salesmen stopped short and suddenly he didn't really think selling me a policy was such a grand idea afterall !! (I recall smiling and asking him just how much would a life insurance quote be?? He folded up his folders and suddenly was very pleased their offices were near closing time!!) So , in my experience, I'd say PRICEY. Lol, as for health care coverage? Egad, I can't imagine.....I'm un-insured . Take care, Janet

Thanks Janet and Tony...I figured as much..never got a private life insurance policy . I have one from my hospital until I keep working there....Good with health insurance for now....

Insurable should have read uninsurable

Hi Ashhan,

I'm sorry, I meant to reply to your post but got caught up and thought it was Tony's post--anyhow, I hope you're able to keep the hospital insurance, I just booked a cosult with my Neurosurgeon who I havn't seen in three years, and they require I pay a whopping $400.00 just to see him --ouch--! oh well, better safe then sorry , broke, but what else is new! Take care, Janet

Hi Ashhan,

You will not be able to find another insurance company that will take you for the year of 2013. Come January 2014 no more preexisting conditions, so you can go to any insurance company at that time because of Obama care. There is an exception, and that is if you are apart of a large group insurance that they are changing the plan. the only other place to look is if your state has a non profit insurance company that cover pre-existing conditions. Blue Cross in Michigan will cover pre-existing conditions after 6 months. I sell both health and life insurance. Life insurance is also something that they will not take you, they consider us high risk even though we took care of the aneurysm. Hope this helps.

Kathy

I have group insurance through my hospital...I did not get what you said about "large group insurance that they are changing the plan "

Thanks Kathy