Insurance

So two days ago my sister and I created her profile page and we set a minimum goal limit of $500 to raise. Withing 24 hours we have raised $295 which I am very proud of. A question was brought to my attention. Days after my sister fell ill, one of her friends decided to go get checked for aneurysms and low and behold the insurance did not cover it. Does anyone know where I can obtain a list of insurances that cover procedures related to aneurysm. They are based out of NY and I am based in NC....

Alisha...all insurance companies / policies are so varied...

First...what was the goal for? Your sis or her friend whose insurance is not covering her?

Has the friend checked w/her doc/facility of the coding that was used on the submission to insurance? Has the friend talked w/her insurance company?

My highest curiosity...why did the firend's doc do the testing?

Because she was a friend of someone who had an aneurysm? Or because, the friend (any patient), had symptoms?

Just curious...a number of us w/symptoms...still do not get tested timely/adequately before leaks/ruptures...

For a family member/famly history, have you talked with your doc to determine if you should have a test? ..

And, have you talked w/your insurance company about family history?

Wishing you the best...

Pat

Hi Alisha,

I don't know if this will help, but there is a sub-group here on the BAF Site devoted strictly to insurance questions. You can locate it under the 'Groups' Icon. Peace, Janet

My sister is the survivor, her friend said she always had migraines and when my sister fell ill with this condition it prompted her to get checked on but the doctors did not test her because her insurance didnt cover it. She asked me how would she go about finding an insurance that does cover procedures like that. I felt that was a great question so people will know which insurance covers these kind of tests. My sister told me that this condition could be genetic which scares me because we had an aunt that suffered really serious migraines all the time. She passed away from cancer of the brain and lungs along with other conditions that we are not fully aware of.

We have a group here that you can ask insurance questions, hope this helps you out ~ Colleen

http://www.bafsupport.org/group/questions-about-insurance

Alisha...interesting....

A premium paying individual is denied coverage for testing of potential aneurysm?

Is that because the doc says migraines are not related to aneurysms and will not submit it?

Or that the insurance will not pay it whether (s)he recommends it or not?

Editing for size...I had 3 ER in 29 days...third of appropriate CT...admitted and into angios / treatment...Three main records reflect Diagnosis: (ICD) 346.20: variants of migraine...

Involved in these three records over 2 days: a neuroradiologist, a neurointerventionalist and a neurosurgeon (director of the unit)...

It certainly suggests that migraines can/may be related to aneurysms...

If this info does not help, perhaps we can send a generalized question on migraines/aneurysms to "ask the doc"...

Hope this may help you all in any little way...Because of my 3 ER over 29 days (and almost 5 years of headaches following MVAs...) I am concerned on how symptoms are overlooked/ denied...but gosh, the insurance company paid for any/all of the emergenices and more... and, the minimal to almost no testing in the first 27 days...

Pat