Brain aneuryrm

My story is pretty long but I’ll shorten it as much as possible.My name is Avis Williams,I survived a Brain Aneuysm.I had mine in June of 2007.I was at work (UPS) and just as I punched out and started walking toward the door my head began to hurt so bad I can’t describe the pain it was just that bad.I happen to see someone and I told them to call a supervisor because I wasn’t feeling good.They did and thats all I remember.The next thing I remember was waking up in the hospital and being told I had had an Aneurysm.I was also told I would have to have a AVM.I was so afraid, my doctor told my husband I had a 50/50 chance of surviving,but of course my husband would’t have that,he said to the doctor its in Gods hand and whatever he decides that will be.Well I made it!I have a AVM and I can’t taste anything but I’m still here,For me that’s a lot.My doctor said my taste will return one day,maybe it will maybe it won’t I won’t complain.My handwritting has changed because I think I’m paralized a little on the right.I seem to shake a lot on my right.I can’t seem to hold on to nothing for to long on that side,but I won’t complain.

HI Avis,

I can personally relate to part of your story. I, myself, was at the mall on New Years Eve 2005 to buy my parents anniversary gift for New years Day. After that I was going to my New Years Eve party with my friends. I got out of the store and out to my car and placed the gift in the trunk. From there I walked around the side of my car but got a sudden very bad headache and thought “Wow, I think I need to sit down.” That is the last thing I remember. I never even made it to the drivers door. Thanksfully there was a very nice gentleman who I am told insisted on remaining anonymous who stayed with me and called 911. He would not even let the security people come near me. The doctor in the ER told my family that they may not be able to see me back again but they refused to listen. I got to MGH in Boston and happily came through with flying colors. I had a grade 3 stroke, seizure activity and a grade 4 SAH. I had my aneurysm clipped and had vasospasm a couple of times. I was home from the hospital and rehab in about 4-5 weeks. I feel like because of this I have met some of my best friends in the world and all of my old friends are now still the gifts they were before. I think I will stop now since I tend to get a little overstimulated…lol. Good luck with your recovery and keep in touch.

Hi Cathy,Thanks for your reply.I’m so glad to know you surrvived and is doing well.Continue to heal and get better.I say God is Good All The Time All The Time God is Good.I’m no longer working,I’m on diaability,I must say I really miss work,I had worked for UPS for 20 years,I had just celebrated my 20 years in April then this happen.But its OK because everything happens for a reason.I’m now home all the time and my husband takes care of me.All I basically do is stay in bed,watch T.V. and be on my laptop.I would love to keep up with you ,could I please have your E-Mail address mine is (■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■) Yes I’m a tennis fanantic,I love the game.That’s all for now will chat with you again soon.Take Care and God Bless.

Avis.

Absolutely. Here is my email. Godmom1997@verizon.net. Aren’t laptops a wonderful thing? It’s amazing how I can’t remember what I did before the computer…lol

Avis Williams said:

Hi Cathy,Thanks for your reply.I’m so glad to know you surrvived and is doing well.Continue to heal and get better.I say God is Good All The Time All The Time God is Good.I’m no longer working,I’m on diaability,I must say I really miss work,I had worked for UPS for 20 years,I had just celebrated my 20 years in April then this happen.But its OK because everything happens for a reason.I’m now home all the time and my husband takes care of me.All I basically do is stay in bed,watch T.V. and be on my laptop.I would love to keep up with you ,could I please have your E-Mail address mine is (tennisbumm@sbcglobal.net) Yes I’m a tennis fanantic,I love the game.That’s all for now will chat with you again soon.Take Care and God Bless.

Hi Cathy, your story sounds like my friends story. I was wondering what effects you have from the injury. My friend has constant right sided facial pain and has great difficulty walking. Thanks, Lisa

Cathy Zardas said:

HI Avis,

I can personally relate to part of your story. I, myself, was at the mall on New Years Eve 2005 to buy my parents anniversary gift for New years Day. After that I was going to my New Years Eve party with my friends. I got out of the store and out to my car and placed the gift in the trunk. From there I walked around the side of my car but got a sudden very bad headache and thought “Wow, I think I need to sit down.” That is the last thing I remember. I never even made it to the drivers door. Thanksfully there was a very nice gentleman who I am told insisted on remaining anonymous who stayed with me and called 911. He would not even let the security people come near me. The doctor in the ER told my family that they may not be able to see me back again but they refused to listen. I got to MGH in Boston and happily came through with flying colors. I had a grade 3 stroke, seizure activity and a grade 4 SAH. I had my aneurysm clipped and had vasospasm a couple of times. I was home from the hospital and rehab in about 4-5 weeks. I feel like because of this I have met some of my best friends in the world and all of my old friends are now still the gifts they were before. I think I will stop now since I tend to get a little overstimulated…lol. Good luck with your recovery and keep in touch.

Hi Lisa.

I’m sorry, I just saw this note from you. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Luckily I haven’t had any deficits that are worth mentioning. I did have a seizure 8 months after the aneurysm and have been on antiseizure meds since without any further problems. The only thing that I can say I have, is a problem remembering names for people (and that could be my age…but I blame it on the hole in my head…lol). I know some people have major issues and I have been very lucky in that area. I hope your friend has a good therapy person working with her and that she is able to get better all the time.

Hello Avis, Cathy and Lisa,
I have just joined this site and have spent the afternnon reading all of your stories. It is so comforting because everyone seems to have almost the same issues. My reason for joining this site was because I wanted to see if I could find out if I was the only one having the feelings and issues that I have been having. I had a ruptured brain aneurysm in September. I had just come out from a shower and was standing behind my 3 yr old grand daughter combing her hair. Next thing I was on the floor on my husbands lap in a pool of vomit. I remember him telling Lauren to get the phone and the next thing I remember is the EMT’s coming in the door. That was it for a month. I was in the ICU at Brigham & Womans for 4 weeks. It was 3 steps forward and 2 steps backwards for 4 weeks. I had 2 blood clots, urinary tract infection and a blood infection that they traced back to the central line catheter. My family was there ever day including my 83 yr old parents. My husband was by my side constantly. I then spent 4 weeks in Spaulding Rehab which was quite an experience. My first lucid memory is in Spaulding when I realized I couldn’t walk, half of my head was shaved, I had a shunt in my head, they were feeding me with a syringe and I was wearing diapers. It has been 6 months, I am just finishing up with PT, OT and speech therapy. I choke on liquids a lot and have a little problem with speaking. If I stick my tongue out it curves to the left. I have some residual weakness on the left side and I still sway a little when I walk. They tell me it takes up to a year to recover from a stage IV aneurysm so I am hoping better days are coming! I seem to be doing the same…watching TV, playng on the computer and reading. I hope to go back to my job eventually…maybe by the summer. Don’t give up girls, we have each other which is such a great blessing! I am so happy to have met all of you.

Margaret A. Shurling said:

I have just joined this site and have spent the afternnon reading all of your stories. It is so comforting because everyone seems to have almost the same issues. My reason for joining this site was because I wanted to see if I could find out if I was the only one having the feelings and issues that I have been having. I had a ruptured brain aneurysm in September. I had just come out from a shower and was standing behind my 3 yr old grand daughter combing her hair. Next thing I was on the floor on my husbands lap in a pool of vomit. I remember him telling Lauren to get the phone and the next thing I remember is the EMT’s coming in the door. That was it for a month. I was in the ICU at Brigham & Womans for 4 weeks. It was 3 steps forward and 2 steps backwards for 4 weeks. I had 2 blood clots, urinary tract infection and a blood infection that they traced back to the central line catheter. My family was there ever day including my 83 yr old parents. My husband was by my side constantly. I then spent 4 weeks in Spaulding Rehab which was quite an experience. My first lucid memory is in Spaulding when I realized I couldn’t walk, half of my head was shaved, I had a shunt in my head, they were feeding me with a syringe and I was wearing diapers. It has been 6 months, I am just finishing up with PT, OT and speech therapy. I choke on liquids a lot and have a little problem with speaking. If I stick my tongue out it curves to the left. I have some residual weakness on the left side and I still sway a little when I walk. They tell me it takes up to a year to recover from a stage IV aneurysm so I am hoping better days are coming! I seem to be doing the same…watching TV, playng on the computer and reading. I hope to go back to my job eventually…maybe by the summer. Don’t give up girls, we have each other which is such a great blessing! I am so happy to have met all of you.

Hi Margaret,I read your story and I’m so glad to hear you’re in the healing process,God is good isn’t he.It is so good when your family is with you.I have such a wonderful husband,he takes such good care of me.I asked him one day if he is growing tired of me and he said ( I married you for better or worse ]and I’m going to be here until God sees fit to take one of us.Well I cried my poor eyes out because sometimes I feel I’m a burden to people.You see I can’t go back to work,I would love to,but I have a shunt also and I worked at UPS for 21 years and I can’t afford for something to fall and hit me on my head.My doctor said I shouldn’t go back to work and I cannot drive.I miss driving the most because if I wanted to go someplace I could just get up and go but no driving means I have to depend on other people to take me places,but I won’t complain because I’m still here.Anyway I’m glad you joined this site,I’m sure you’ll enjoy communicating with others who have had Brain Aneurysm and survived. good Luck and God Bless.

Good morning and glad to see you are on the road to recovery…i also of course im on here…lol.had an anyerism back in oct 2009 i was out after work having drinkd with my brother and his wife and started going cross-eyed,lol…i know it sounds funny but that prompted me to go to the bathroom to splash some water on my face and then it was lights out…i remember my friend calling my name while i lay on the floor getting sick…i regained concsiousness and was able to get up and put myself on the stretcher…Wow…luckily Baylor of Dallas was right down the street and i was rushed there and diagnosed with a 5mm anyerism which the Dr Layton(angel) coiled the next morning.i was in the hospital for 2 weeks my children said i was funny but i dont remember…lol…i thank God everyday for my recovery and care …I find this group wonderful and a great place to find people who have survived such a life altering ordeal and living life to the fullest…i am 41 will be 42 in may…yay!!! Life is good and God is great…just wanted to share and feel free to write anytime you want …take care

what an inspiration all of you are and i thank
God i found this site where i can find support in recovering and ways to do it…thank you and i wish you all a quick road to recover

Avis Williams said:

Hi Margaret.

Welcome Welcome Welcome. I can totally understand where you are at and where you have been. I also feel like you know yourself and you will be a lot better as the time goes by. You certainly did hit a few rocks along the way, but the sand is still there to keep you up and about. Are you local to the Boston area? You mentioned your hospital as BW and Spaulding as your rehab. Does Spaulding still have the Tedi Bruschi video running constantly? That was almost 5 years ago, but that was my push for recovery. Hopefully we will see you about at one of the gatherings. Keep going. You have joined the “lucky” group!

Isn’t this place wonderful?! I am very interested in all your stories. My ruptured aneurysm was only 6 weeks ago but it feels like forever. I was in hospital 5 weeks in all. First my local hospital did a CT scan then rushed me to the big neurology hospital in London where a wonderful team clipped the aneurym because it was not suitable for coiling. I was there 3 weeks then transferred back to local hosp (where I worked!) for rehab. It was lovely because I had my own room (not common in the UK) and my colleagues could pop in to see me. I’m home now and doing well, with no deficits except fatigue. The two problems I have are 1) no money because was temping when this happened and the insurance I took out hadn’t been authorised before this happened, and 2) I have a large collection of CSF under the skin on the side of my face by the scar. The surgeon says it should resolve spontaneously but in some cases they have to “deal with it”. The fact it’s been six weeks means I could possibly be one of those cases but we’ ll cross that bridge when we come to it! I’m just blessed to have a second chance to do something useful with my life. Not sure what God intended for me to do, but I’ll work it out! See ya!

i was reading the bible this morning and found a scripture which surely fits: corinthians 12:31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew i unto you a more excellent way.
i believe God doesnt give us anything that would surely make us a better person regardless of any mental or physical deficits. since my anyerism back in oct 09 i love, live and laugh more than i ever have and take nothing for granted. im happy to see you are recovering so quickly and wish you many happy and joyful days ahead…

Jen Rigg said:

Isn’t this place wonderful?! I am very interested in all your stories. My ruptured aneurysm was only 6 weeks ago but it feels like forever. I was in hospital 5 weeks in all. First my local hospital did a CT scan then rushed me to the big neurology hospital in London where a wonderful team clipped the aneurym because it was not suitable for coiling. I was there 3 weeks then transferred back to local hosp (where I worked!) for rehab. It was lovely because I had my own room (not common in the UK) and my colleagues could pop in to see me. I’m home now and doing well, with no deficits except fatigue. The two problems I have are 1) no money because was temping when this happened and the insurance I took out hadn’t been authorised before this happened, and 2) I have a large collection of CSF under the skin on the side of my face by the scar. The surgeon says it should resolve spontaneously but in some cases they have to “deal with it”. The fact it’s been six weeks means I could possibly be one of those cases but we’ ll cross that bridge when we come to it! I’m just blessed to have a second chance to do something useful with my life. Not sure what God intended for me to do, but I’ll work it out! See ya!

Hey, this is old! Closing it to posts, feel free to start a new thread