Blindness after coiling

Hi everyone, My mother underwent coiling procedure two months ago and post coiling she has lost her vision completely. Got the CT angio scan last week and doctors said the vision loss is due to the pressure effect. Has anyone else gone through similar experience? please share your thoughts.

Sharath

I am almost 2 years past coiling on large aneurysm on Middle Cerebral Artery and I still suffer pressure and pain behind right eye/same side as aneurysm. I also have facial numbness especially around eye socket and my vision continues to deteriorate. I can still see with help of glasses. I also have severe stenosis in right Carotid Artery from FMD vascular disease. No one told me or warned me this could be a side effect.

Sharath..

So regret for your mother, for you all...Was her aneurysm ruptured or unruptured?

How long was she in the hospital for recovery?

On which artery(ies)/segment(s) is the aneurysm located?

Were the images reflecting the 'pressure' shown to you by the doctor, including the initial diagnostic to procedural images?

Your mother's is so serious, so unfortunate...many of us have had multitudes of vision issues...

You may also want to research 'cranial nerves' and 'coil impact on cranial nerves'... ...

Prayers for you securing lots of info from others here; and for what may be done to assist your mother...

Pat

Pat, It was unruptured giant aneurysm. Before coiling she had progressive vision loss in both the eyes and post coiling made it worse and also immediately after the procedure her vision deteriorated drastically. She was in the hospital for a week

Location- arising from the supra clinoid ICA distal to the opthalmic origin.

Doctor did take a look at the scan report and told us that vision impairment is due to the coil pressure effect.

hope her vision improves to an extent she could do basic things.

Thanks,

Sharath

Thanks for your prayers Jo. yes,, she had vision loss in both the eyes prior to the procedure and post coiling made it worse. Aneurysm was putting pressure on the optic and now the doctor says its due to the pressure effect. and that she might or may not improve at all.

surgery was ruled out because of its giant size and location and hence coiling was preferred.

Sharath...

Mine also was ICA supraclinoid per the diagnostic records...near the origin of the posterior communicating artery which is distal to the ophthalmic...

The coil pressure effect is interesting terminology...In the "ask the doc" , I asked about the "no-change-in- size...when coil replaces the blood/clots"...Page 50 of 03/03/13.

I did not lose vision..but lost the muscle control (check all the other cranial nerves, e.g. CN III, IV, VI and more) CN II is the Optic nerve connected to the retina...

What did the doctor(s) suggest for rehab, and which cranial nerve(s) was/were explained?

Twenty-two months post-coiling/stents, I began vision therapy...just cherish the results...altho not at all 100% repaired...I was somehow blessed w/a neurologist for the therapy...

Prayers you can research and get back to the docs with your questions...and keep us updated...

Pat