Anyone experience high glucose levels after surgery?

Last week I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes and am taking 4 shots of insulin and 2 pill everyday. Just wanted to see if there was a connection between the aneurysm and high blood sugar. I know that diabetes can affect the brain as far as seritonin (sp?) levels and can lead to depression. Please let me know if any of you have diabetes and how it is or isn’t related to your aneursym(s).

hi robyn,
i had my anny back in oct 09 and was given insulin shots in the stomach in the hospital while recovering…i am currently on a diet to avoid having to continue with the injections and seems to be able to keep my blood usgar within a reasonable level that the drs dont insist on meds or injections/./.its funny because i was never diagnosed with diabetes prior to the anny but my father had diabetes…so im not sure if its genetic or due to my anny throwing my brain for a loop…lol…literally…lol…you might look at your diet and carb intake…fresh veggies and red meat was whatthey suggested to keep my blood sugar down…and it wouldnt hurt if i lost a couple of lbs,im 5’4" and 170 so go figure,haha…maybe when i lose the weight my diabetes will cease to exsist…
if youd like maybe we can go on a diet together and compare what foods work to help lose the buldge and excercise regimens,let me know if your interested…i know were miles apart…but we could still do the buddy system for support …let me know…michelle-n-texas

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for responding. I would love to lose about 40lbs. I need a buddy desparately…and it helps with accountability too if you have someone doing it with you. Thank you so much for the offer. I actually started on my new eating habits on 6/12. I am keeping a food journal along with my glucose numbers. I am eating whole grains, lots of fish, fruit and vegtables…I am still so tired and fatigued I haven’t begun any excercise regimen yet. Trying to get my numbers into a normal range so that I can get some of my energy back. I go to the Dr. on Monday and am hoping he can help with that. As soon as I get the go ahead I hope to begin at least walking in the eves. I take 4 shots in the stomach every day and 2 pills a day and still in the upper 300s low 400s. I still have a little ways to go…thank you so much for your support and ecouragement. Have a wonderful day. :slight_smile:

michelle patterson said:

hi robyn,
i had my anny back in oct 09 and was given insulin shots in the stomach in the hospital while recovering…i am currently on a diet to avoid having to continue with the injections and seems to be able to keep my blood usgar within a reasonable level that the drs dont insist on meds or injections/./.its funny because i was never diagnosed with diabetes prior to the anny but my father had diabetes…so im not sure if its genetic or due to my anny throwing my brain for a loop…lol…literally…lol…you might look at your diet and carb intake…fresh veggies and red meat was whatthey suggested to keep my blood sugar down…and it wouldnt hurt if i lost a couple of lbs,im 5’4" and 170 so go figure,haha…maybe when i lose the weight my diabetes will cease to exsist…
if youd like maybe we can go on a diet together and compare what foods work to help lose the buldge and excercise regimens,let me know if your interested…i know were miles apart…but we could still do the buddy system for support …let me know…michelle-n-texas

good morning buddy…lol…
sounds like you have your plan down, so you have not been released to do excercise yet? you and i had our annys around the same time only mine was on the 13th and i was able to have it coiled(5mm)through angiogram…almost 6 wks out of the hospital they told me i could go back to full speed…which my body told me something different…so i just listen to my body and take it slow and easy but have been able to pick up the pace since then,i tested my blood sugar yesterday and it was 202…only after i cheated and ate a sweet roll…lol…its very hard when you have two people in the house, my husband and 15 yr old son-the eating maching…lol…to atsy on a diet,also i love to cook…and being from the south we eat smothered pork chops…yipes!..and mashed potaTOES with usually 3 out of 5 meals…i am am diligently learning to cook healthier things for the well being of all of us,if you have any good recipes feel free to pass them my way,lol…i am fixin to hop in the shower and get ready for work, it would be interesting to compare our diets for today,and try to get some excercise in this afternoon…it is so hot here you could fry an egg on the sidewalk,literally,lol…well im very glad you are game for the buddy system and i am looking forward to our combined progress in losing weight and hopefully getting this diabetes monkey off our backs,…soo ttyl and keep up the good work…ohh what was your sugar this morning? have A GREAT ONE :slight_smile:

Robyn said:

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for responding. I would love to lose about 40lbs. I need a buddy desparately…and it helps with accountability too if you have someone doing it with you. Thank you so much for the offer. I actually started on my new eating habits on 6/12. I am keeping a food journal along with my glucose numbers. I am eating whole grains, lots of fish, fruit and vegtables…I am still so tired and fatigued I haven’t begun any excercise regimen yet. Trying to get my numbers into a normal range so that I can get some of my energy back. I go to the Dr. on Monday and am hoping he can help with that. As soon as I get the go ahead I hope to begin at least walking in the eves. I take 4 shots in the stomach every day and 2 pills a day and still in the upper 300s low 400s. I still have a little ways to go…thank you so much for your support and ecouragement. Have a wonderful day. :slight_smile:

michelle patterson said:
hi robyn,

After my surgey and while I was in the hospital I was getting shot of insulin eveyday, on my most recent dr appointment my levels have returned back to normal no more insulin for me.A nurse in the hosital told me that I was receving steroid shots which probaly caused the high blood sugar when I was in the hospital.

good for you patricia , thats what im shooting for but seeing how its been since october i think im gonna have to lose some weight…lol…ive been testing my sugar and its been around the 130s,had sushi last nite, yummy, anf going to go out for lunch after church so i will teat it again then and maybe go for a walk…i got my wii so ihave been doing alot of the games that call for alot of participAtion…woke up sore the next morning,haha,now that tells me im out of shape…wish me luck im on my way to a healthier me …and i wish everyone the same WE CAN DO IT!!

Patricia Smauldon said:

After my surgey and while I was in the hospital I was getting shot of insulin eveyday, on my most recent dr appointment my levels have returned back to normal no more insulin for me.A nurse in the hosital told me that I was receving steroid shots which probaly caused the high blood sugar when I was in the hospital.

My dads blood sugars were astronomical! He was a Type 2 diabetic They had him on an insulin drip more than a few times and he was on tube feedings. He had been a diabetic for about 2 years before his annie, and was somewhat non-compliant with it
then. Because of that, it was harder to control once he got sick. He was also on very high doses of steroids for long periods of time and that causes high blood sugars as well.