Aneurysm and Diabetes

Hi!

I had a SAH due to an aneurysm last Oct 4th and that's what when i found out that i have diabetes. I have trouble lowering my blood glucose because i cant exercise the way i used to after surgery i get headaches. Has anyone been struggling with Blood glucose highs after surgery and how did you deal with it.

I would appreciate your story as this has been so depressing.

Thank you

Beverly

Beverly...welcome...

When did you last have your routine blood tests before your SAH and in ER/admittance?

Because (as I understand it) you had craniotomy...there is an article online of high interest:

Search: Effect of single-dose dexamethasone on blood glucose concentration in patients undergoing craniotomy ...

That is a PubMed article: PMID: 15021280 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Another member recently noted dexamethasone which had somewhat stimulated my memory... that I was leaving alone til after Christmas....Oddly, you note glucose...right after Christmas...I have known for some time of the connection impact of dexamethasone on glucose...

To add... I had coil/stent...not clipping... when my angioslamming was abruptly stopped, massive levels of dexamethasone a/w/a other flushing materials; e.g. sodium chloride, potassium chloride, D5W and more were put thru my system...before I was put under coronary care... w/follow-up angioslamming...for a non-ruptured aneurysm...two days after the first angios and the coronary care...

My massive dexamethasone was continued multi-times daily....tapered off on into "rehab"...

This data is not referenced in any of my maintained medical records ...the story formats... it is in the itemized statement over and over...billed and paid for...and, never questioned, researched, audited, or investigated by health care insurance companies...

Thank you for bringing this up (jogging my memory)...I have strong feelings (worse, my opinion?) on dexa/glucose...The potential use of something like dexamethasone is not provided by doctors marketing their procedures...I have not yet located an article in PUBMED on dexamethasone used for/with the minimally invasive procedures... When I began FDA / patient data on dexamethasone, I did not know/understand/comprehend PubMed... but that was also why I did not note/respond on the member who mentioned dexamethasone a week or so ago...

After I finish my PubMed research for the minimally invasive procedures/dexamethasone, I will bring more forth... for general information for members... so hope you can share more on your glucose hit...

Please forgive my typing so much...and, think it so necessary for the overlap of glucose/dexamethasone in PubMed records of craniotomy and my personal records of glucose/dexamethasone levels...definitely not "one-dose"...

patioplans said:

Beverly...welcome...

When did you last have your routine blood tests before your SAH and in ER/admittance?

Because (as I understand it) you had craniotomy...there is an article online of high interest:

Search: Effect of single-dose dexamethasone on blood glucose concentration in patients undergoing craniotomy ...

That is a PubMed article: PMID: 15021280 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Another member recently noted dexamethasone which had somewhat stimulated my memory... that I was leaving alone til after Christmas....Oddly, you note glucose...right after Christmas...I have known for some time of the connection impact of dexamethasone on glucose...

To add... I had coil/stent...not clipping... when my angioslamming was abruptly stopped, massive levels of dexamethasone a/w/a other flushing materials; e.g. sodium chloride, potassium chloride, D5W and more were put thru my system...before I was put under coronary care... w/follow-up angioslamming...for a non-ruptured aneurysm...two days after the first angios and the coronary care...

My massive dexamethasone was continued multi-times daily....tapered off on into "rehab"...

This data is not referenced in any of my maintained medical records ...the story formats... it is in the itemized statement over and over...billed and paid for...and, never questioned, researched, audited, or investigated by health care insurance companies...

Thank you for bringing this up (jogging my memory)...I have strong feelings (worse, my opinion?) on dexa/glucose...The potential use of something like dexamethasone is not provided by doctors marketing their procedures...I have not yet located an article in PUBMED on dexamethasone used for/with the minimally invasive procedures... When I began FDA / patient data on dexamethasone, I did not know/understand/comprehend PubMed... but that was also why I did not note/respond on the member who mentioned dexamethasone a week or so ago...

After I finish my PubMed research for the minimally invasive procedures/dexamethasone, I will bring more forth... for general information for members... so hope you can share more on your glucose hit...

Please forgive my typing so much...and, think it so necessary for the overlap of glucose/dexamethasone in PubMed records of craniotomy and my personal records of glucose/dexamethasone levels...definitely not "one-dose"...

Thank you very much

I appreciate your reply

I didn't have my blood works done before my surgery since I was surprised by it.

I definitely will check out for more info Thanks again

Beverly

Beverly..

Ohhh...I re-read your entry...you had a SAH...so blood tests likely/presumably were begun soon on ER entry...should be of your med/hospital records...and included in your insurance billings, etc...You may want to call the hospital...re: records...

Typically, when surgery is done...blood tests are followed by days to several days (depending on condition)...and, gain, likely before discharge...or w/in days prior to discharge...the volume/frequency of tests depends on the overall condition of each of us... Also if put into any rehab (even in same hospital)...there will likely be a 'discharge" to the 'rehab' admittance...and, its discharge...

Best wishes to you and your new year...

patioplans

sunset said:

Thank you very much

I appreciate your reply

I didn't have my blood works done before my surgery since I was surprised by it.

I definitely will check out for more info Thanks again

Beverly

Have they done 24-hour glucose monitoring? You wear a monitor even while you are sleeping for two days. I had it done after the craniotomy, when they didn’t understand why my blood glucose was wandering around high and low. In that, they found a glucose crash at 2 am that led to a glucose rebound in the morning, when your body tries to overcorrect the low blood glucose. I did not have diabetes, but I had hypoglycemia. The seizure drug may have worsened it. When they treated the hypoglycemia, everything was steady. You need to see a neuro-endocrinologist who understands the effects of brain scarring and craniotomy on the endocrine system. Hypoglycemia causes headaches too. I hope this helps. Take care.

Beverly...

Want to add...my glucose jumped apx 75 points (proper word?) when the blood cultures were begun in the time frame following the abrupt angio stoppage... skipping detail...

Another patient (skipping detail)...had renal insufficiency; her records show glucose jumping in the hundreds...yes, the hundreds...I have to re-study the volumes of dexa or other drug...

These are 2 specifics...tho there are a # of others w/thyroid issues who have never mentioned dexa or glucose...or any other massive drug...or or or...