Anyone allergic to Iodine Contrast?

My mom was diagnosed with an aneurysm in 2011. A year later we discovered she was allergic to the iodine contrast in a routine screening. She had passed out and was not being responsive. Now, she has to have her yearly MRA without the contrast.

Anyone had a similar experience? Would love to hear your thoughts!

Yes I have an allergy to it as well. However I have still had 4 angiograms. I pretreat with prednisone for 24 hours before and a Benadryl injection right before. I am usually fine but on a couple of occasions I needed more injections after the procedure. But everyone is different. if the doctors feel its too much of a risk, they wont do an angio unless its absolutely necessary. I am doing MRIs only now unless they see some change. The MRIs are very accurate. I am sure if they see the need, they will do everything they need to do to keep her safe. Best of luck!

NH...but she can use the gadolinium for the MRA? She is blessed...

Pat

What were your allergic symptoms like? The doctors think it is too risky to give my mom any kind of medicine because she almost always has a bad reaction. She is also allergic to all narcotics now so the doctors are just screening her through MRAs for now.

Have you used that before? This is the first time I am hearing of it. The surgeons haven't mentioned any other substitute because it might be too risky, I believe.

NO, I have not used gadolineum....at least of records...tho..to my knowledge of records...

there was a "3D Reconstruction of CT/MR"....definitely billed for...if not authored/published to cover the initial MR that may have been reconstructed...

No initial MR (of record) to reconstruct was of the billing records/codes...so suggests an MR would have had to be done for "reconstruction" of one?...

As for the gadolinium...there was class-action apx 2008+/- for reaction to a number of people...and, recently has dropped from easy access on-line...

Presumably your doctors and you are considering the substitute as too risky..to be the contrast dye (aka agent, material, media,medium)

Consider it a blessing if your mother is not having adverse reactions to the MRAs....

Pat

NH...the transfer records form the hospital to the home health care (HHC) noted clearly under med allergies: IODINE in caps...and, also "low acid diet"...However, that was not on the discharge records to family/friend caregivers...

My HHC had one speech therapist for one hour sessions three times per week...fo a month... however, the majority of mine was the extravasated contrast dye....during the minimally invasive procedures...beyond diagnostics..

Pat

My main reaction was turning very red in the face and feeling hot all over. I have also has burning feeling in the ears mouth. But reactions can be much worse in others and the doctors are always very conservative if they know you have allergies to iodine. It can cause life threatening reactions. Best to be safe.