Angiogram Dye

Hello Folks,

So I got into a work related auto accident which involved an aneurysm in my brain back in 2007. Never found out about aneurysm screening till this week. I'm doing some research and found out that the dye injected and used in Angiogram x rays can be rather undesirable. Can anyone share any experience with this procedure. Are threre other ways to test for an aneurysm

Kindest Regards,

Ritchie MacInnis

xxxxxx Email address and telephone number removed by Seenie from Moderator Support for poster's online security. Please contact this member by clicking on the avatar, and selecting the "message" option.

just look me up on FaceBook

The contrast medium is Iodine. I have had many CTA scans with no ill effects. Are you allergic to Iodine?

Unless you use the angiogram, {where they go through an artery in your groin} then a CTA or MRA is the way to go.

Thanks for the heads up plumber. I’ll check with the good doctor tonight and find out how to test for an iodine allergy and determine if they could do the Stent if need be in the same hour if they see an amorality.
Thanks for the good word.

Ritchie...welcome...

For info....the basic CT/A(angio) and Arteriography (angio) used generally are apx 40% IODINE...(yes, my allergy was in some records in capital letters) w/ no ref to the contrast media (aka materials, agents, dye) and post-procedures... the 'minimally invasive'...procedure(s)..do not note in their records...(at least readily available to the common patients. )

There are basic notations of "contrast reactions".. that do not note 'iodine'...and, which could mean more reactions than to iodine..and, we all know our thyroid generates our normal iodine...

The contrast material used in MR/As is named 'gadolinium'...There have been questions on it since apx 2005; a lawsuit apx 2008-2010...and, since mid-2015 our FDA has it under "review" ...have not a clue when something may come out to us...the common average people...

I do not know the ingredients in gadolinium...or if gadolinium is the main ingredient of that contrast agent... Please keep us updated...

Thank you for your kind reply "PatioPlans", the FDA review and the pending lawsuit all sound kinda spooky. I think I'll have to check out the techniques used in other parts of the world and get back to this forum ASAP. I am not a worry wart but I want to care for others who will be taken with this sneaky aneurysm thing .

Ritchie....those can be picked up by name/subject online for status...(except the lawsuit...at least I could not find it when it has had so much info initially...maybe some time frame or?)...

Tho some of us have (attempted) to research and get true responses on the radiation levels during a procedure...for quite some years...not getting a basic answer... for example...on the mSv levels noted...do not specify the time frame(s)... for how many images, and from 1 to 6-8 hours of a procedure...etc... And, of course, I have wondered how much radiation "ignited" or "melted" my iodine... normally produced in my thyroid...

Prayers for your success in searching/learning...and that you update us...

This article is from 2008, but the information in it might be of interest.

http://www.med.umich.edu/opm/newspage/2008/beforect.htm

Campanile...thank you for this info...

For the first time for me, some mini-pill given to me before a CTA (apx 900 frames)...in mid-2008

I may come across that info in my accumulated squalor...I was not told IF specific to protect kidneys...

BC my long-term family friends w/PKD..I thnk I'd have remembered if I had been told for kidneys...

However, three times since...specific neuro-docs have pushed angio f/u's and none have addressed a drug to help protect from it...one was a vascular neurologist.... and, I keep wondering how many of us w/head injury - head procedures...have been referred to a vascular neurologist...vs a regular neurologist? I do know of a neurotologist...for my initial hearing test...I do the f/u's every couple of years... w/the average., basic auditory MDs... (blanking on proper words as I type)...

Campanile...once more...Were you advised of N-acetyl cysteine (or some other name) when you were going thru your diagnostic and procedure?

Patio,

None of my doctors have mentioned supplements. I happen to take glutathione sublingually, NAC is a precursor to glutathione. I found out about the benefits of this supplement when I was taking care of my mother, who had Parkinson’s.

Well Karen Hurd never did get back to me so I may not have permission to copy/paste her valuable info. So y'all may what to consider checking out this info for yourselves and share with your family and friends.

www.karenhurd.com/.../specifichealthconcerns/ht-shc-aneurysm.html

Kindest Regards Everyone,

Ritchie

Ritchie and Campanile....

Thank you both... I do know/remember the little pill I had before a cta was prescribed...even only 3 pills to take X hours between/before the CTA time...

And, CTA has much less volume of dye...than angios...diagnostic and particularly the procedures...

Karen did finally get back to me and I will be posting her info on FB tomorrow.

Cheers Everyone

Ritchie MacInnis

Ritchie and Campanile and any/all other members...

The July 2016 newsletter of Consumer Reports has a very interesting article...re: our fed system on tracking MD issues...and, who can access it...AND, patients cannot...

Just off the phone w/a long-term friend, who told me that Vanity Fair has an article on our med care ...and, she'll either mail out the article and/or save the magazine for me...

Cheers to you all...

patioplans... P.S.....my plans are being reached... and, opened / expanded far more..

Campanile, thank you for this extra info...I failed to see it quickly....and, will be passing it on to my PKD family friends...for them to ask their doctors... and, of course, I was overwhelmed by the 2008 webdata of MichU... I hope numerous members will share if their docs have addressed this between 2008 and 2016??? I had begun asking about rad levels and the contrast materials...late 2011 to mid-2014...

And, now need to see what may have been upgrade (advanced?) in the MedlinePlus...I know some minor changes were made...do not at all recall this one.

Thanks much...

Campanile said:

Patio,

None of my doctors have mentioned supplements. I happen to take glutathione sublingually, NAC is a precursor to glutathione. I found out about the benefits of this supplement when I was taking care of my mother, who had Parkinson's.

Seenie from Moderator Support here, Ritchie. For your online security, I've removed the phone number and email address from your post. Feel free to share it privately as often as you want!

Glad to see that you are getting some good information to your questions.

The question that comes too my mind is Seenie are you a Mr. or Miss. or Ms. and would you please place my contact information back in my posts.
A Very Open and Honest
Mr. Ritchie MacInnis
1-902-■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■