Aneurysm still not gone post stent

recent angiogram showed aneurysm not completely gone after stent put in - may have to do another pipeline surgery in 6 months if angio shows still present. Im so upset. has this happened to anyone

Just know that they found it and you will be fixed.

Get it clipped if you can!!!!

I am so sorry, Deb. The PED was just approved several years ago, so there may not be a lot of people (at least from the US) who have had this done.

Have you thought about a 2nd opinion? That is what I think I would do. Hope you get some answers from other people who have had the PED. I don't blame you for being upset, I would be too.

Take Care, Sherri

Hi Deb, I see that you live in the NYC area so I recommend that you get an appointment with Dr. Howard Riina at NYU. He is incredible, does both the coiling and clipping methods (as well as others) and has a fantastic bedside manner. People come to him from all over the US and other countries. He will give you the best advice as well as the peace of mind that comes with getting a second opinion. He completely fixed a botched up aneurysm surgery I had and saved my life. I’m not saying your procedure was botched but a second opinion is a must in a situation like this. You owe it to yourself. Best wishes to you :slight_smile:

Hi Deb, I´m so sorry. But you´ll be fine, as Ivivi said, they found ir and you will be fixed!

It´s not a bad idea have a second opinion.

From Argentina"todo lo mejor para ti" / Love &Light! Maria

Hi Deb, from what I understand the device is intended to redirect flow and that the aneurysm may shrink as well. Are they not happy with the redirection?

Hi Deb,

I am so sorry for the stress you are under. I can't give you any advice on your condition just support. I have 2 aneurysm's 5 & 3 ml. I have an appointment this Thurs for a check up. If you need anyone to talk or write to I am here for you. I am in Mass. Thinking of you and hope everything goes well for you.

Trudy.

Hi Deb,
Sorry to hear you didn’t get full occlusion, I’m not sure how long you are in your recovery, or the location or size of your annies, but we’ve had many members who didn’t fully occluded right away, some over a years time or longer, and a few who had to have more PEDs placed. If you take a look in the PED group, you’ll find many stories on our wall that speak to that issue. There is also a great discussion of “who has heard the words” as it relates to occlusion of annies by the PED members. Unfortunately, not everyone gets full occlusion at the same rate.
If I can help ease your mind at all, or help guide you through the PED Groups pages, just let me know.
Best wishes,
Linda

I had a full craniotomy and the titanium clips would not attach because it was in too tight of an area with some of my nasal bones, so my neurosurgeon had to put 3 clips together vertically to get them to stay and save my life. it took him 13 attempts and 13 hours to keep me from rupturing during surgery.

Since a vertical clipping doesn't protect the corners by the artery, it spread down my carotid on both sides of the clips. So they had to go back in and put a new type of stent and 6 coils in each aneurysm. They saved my life a 2nd time.

I'm wondering why you did not get coiling put into your aneurysm sacs to eliminate blood flow to them. I would get a 2nd opinion on the repair process is next.

Hi Deb, have 5 aneurysms. Had one coiled, emergency surgery, 2 clipped one month later. Had 2 other surgeries. The first one is not doing what it was suppose to. My surgeon can’ t clip it do to it’s location. Just trying to keep calm and praying a lot :slight_smile:

Mary I’m in your shoes, I have 5 # 4 was the worst. So I’m scared to do the 5th. It was hiding , or why did they not see it all the opperations I’ve had. But as for the person who we r replying too, go for it.

I’m not a Doctor, but my experience was I had a clip installed in 1997 and all has been well. I don’t no anything about stent. But I’ve had ‘life’ with the clip. Prayer’s will take place for you for sure.

Your friend,

Pat

I'm so sorry you're experiencing this, Deb -- the wait is the worst and hardest (or can be)...all that said, I've been there: 2 RICA aneurysms were double-stented and it took 18 months for them to do their job. Fortunately, my endovascular doc was very patient in waiting. Nearly three years later, they're doing beautifully.

All that is my way of saying, get a second opinion if your main doc is so impatient. The brain is the slowest organ in the body to heal and these stents take a loooonnnggg while to settle into their new home.

I lift you up for peace and continued recovery.

Oh I’m so sorry to hear of your disappointment. I have not had that procedure, but I know what it feels like to take two steps forward and one step back. Keep stepping though, you’ll get there!

lisa

I AM PRAYING FOR YOU DEB!

Agree....better that they found it. I haven't had this specific problem. But always better that it is planned rather than not. That way it's not an emergency. Good luck!!

Hello Deb,

I was in your situation three years ago. I had my first implant in Jan. 2012. I went in for my six month check up in June and my Aneurysm was still there. That was on a Monday. My surgeon wanted me to come back on Friday, June 8. He implanted a second PED that day. The second implant went inside of the first one. Ten days later I had a problem with my left eye, so I went back to the hospital to be checked. We discovered that the problem I had was the fact that my Aneurysm had shrunk to the size of my implant. The device does not always expand to the size of the vein or artery, which means a second one is needed. Three years later and three check ups later, I am doing well with no more problems with my implant.

The fact of having to have a second implant really didn't bother me, since I already knew what was going to be done and I had already done it before with my first one. Don't let this worry you to death. All will be well. This to you will survive! You and I are special! We get to do it twice!

Marjorie B Filipiak said:

Hello Deb,

I was in your situation three years ago. I had my first implant in Jan. 2012. I went in for my six month check up in June and my Aneurysm was still there. That was on a Monday. My surgeon wanted me to come back on Friday, June 8. He implanted a second PED that day. The second implant went inside of the first one. Ten days later I had a problem with my left eye, so I went back to the hospital to be checked. We discovered that the problem I had was the fact that my Aneurysm had shrunk to the size of my implant. The device does not always expand to the size of the vein or artery, which means a second one is needed. Three years later and three check ups later, I am doing well with no more problems with my implant.

The fact of having to have a second implant really didn't bother me, since I already knew what was going to be done and I had already done it before with my first one. Don't let this worry you to death. All will be well. This to you will survive! You and I are special! We get to do it twice!

Go with the neurosurgeon’s advice. He (or she) is the one who knows best what should be done. I had implicit faith in my neurosurgeon 16 years ago.

David Andrus, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada