Aneurysm still not gone post stent

I can't imagine what you are feeling..know you are in my thoughts and prayers...

I had PED treatment for a 12mm anuerysm in April 2014. At my first angiogram in December it showed that it was not completely occluded but I was told this is fairly normal and the flow divertor was doing its job and the aneurysm was shrinking. It can take longer to see complete occlusion and everyone is different.The PED should be a good fit in the artery. I am waiting to have the same process carried out again on a second 8mm aneurysm in the other artery hopefully later this year.

Sorry you are going through this. My first follow up is in May. I had two PED placed behind my left eye back in November. Your news makes me nervous. I am already a little nervous about having another angiogram. But, I think it is normal to be nervous. It helps to have people here to "listen" and provide encouraging words. I will keep you in my thoughts. Hopefully, in six months, you will be fully occluded.

That’s great David :). You were lucky you got a great physician. But not every doctor deserves our total faith. My NYU neuro was incredible, my Yale neuro who performed my first clipping almost killed me. Twice. A second opinion is always a good idea.

David Andrus said:

Go with the neurosurgeon’s advice. He (or she) is the one who knows best what should be done. I had implicit faith in my neurosurgeon 16 years ago.

David Andrus, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

If I read correctly, you had your PED placed in Sept 2014?

If so, then you are talking about the results of your 6 month angio?

And you said "it is not completely gone." which tells me it has shrunk.

You should remember that many people do not attain complete occlusion until one year and even longer.

At 6 months mine was partially occluded and fully occluded at one year.

If your aneurysm is smaller, don't fret, rejoice in that, because it is SO less likely to rupture.

And because it is shrinking, look forward to hearing the words "... it is gone" at your year appointment.

Sometimes we are our own worst enemies when we focus on the negative "what ifs ... " that is what I have learned through all this.

I just had my 3 month check up and review of recent MRA today. They told me that it appears that some contrast dye is showing at the base of the anuersym, they are going to wait and see how it looks at the 6 month mark when I get the angiogram. Then they will decide what to do. It’s very frustrating, I feel for you. We will get through it though

Hi Deb,

Just heard the same from my angio! The stent seems to have a spot that it did not cover (or maybe it moved??), and blood (a small stop over the stent) if leaking into the aneurysm. The surgeon kept going back and forth as to whether to do a repeat angio in 6 months or a yr, and he asked another dr and then told my husband one yr. I wish it were 6 months....what if it gets much worse?? But maybe they need more time to see changes....he just told me to watch out for vision changes (or bad headaches). It is in the ICA and Ophthalmic artery, and I have had some sort of eye pain and light floaters on and off. So that scares me, that I won't be able to tell when something bad is happening (just thinking it is the regular pain)....very sad/upset about this, especially since we all thought that I would get excellent news, including the medical team! But I am glad to see that it seems to happen more often than not....so in 1 yr they will repeat the angio, and if worse, they will do another surgery to place a stent. :( Best of luck with your next angio!!! I hope it shinks or disappears, and you don't need another surgery!