Anesthesia and Brain Fog?

I have to undergo anesthesia for treatment on "frozen shoulder", and I've heard that undergoing anesthesia can lead to brain fog in patients who are recovering from brain injuries.

I'm 1.5 years out from my rupture/craniotomy, and in all honesty, I'm JUST starting to get a little bit of my groove back. I know I will never be the same, but I'm making strides in terms of attention span, lessening fatigue, etc. THEN this shoulder situation comes about, and it's pure agony. The formal name is adhesive capsulitis, and it can take up to a year to resolve with or without intervention. It's chronic and debilitating.

This procedure is not necessary; but it may speed up healing. "may" being the keyword; it also may not.

What would you do? If you've had good or bad experiences with anesthesia after your initial brain issue, can you share it with me?

Thanks in advance, I value your point of view!

My mother had frozen shoulder. She was at the point where she almost could not move her arm. The doctor sent her to physical therapy and they were able to fix it. You don't say you need surgery but I am assuming that is what is planned since you need anesthesia. Perhaps there are other options.

Hi Wanda,

Thank you so much for your two cents. Luckily, it's not surgery, but they do need to "knock me out" to make a manual adjustment. I'm on physical therapy now but it's taking soooooooo long to fix. I lack patience; I feel like this aneurysm knocked me on my arse long enough.

I know what you mean there. I'm at about 1-1/2 years out also. Recently I had a day that I felt good. No pain and not depressed. I thought "How sad that I notice this day is so different from my new normal". Patience can be hard to come by at times, but remember that anesthesia is never without risk even for people that have not had brain injuries. Good luck whatever you decide.

I have my ruptured brain aneurysm, which was clipped back in May 2001. As a result of the aneurysm, both retinas were in danger of detachment. To save the eyesight in the right eye, I underwent surgery to place a buckle around that eye to hold the retina in place. That occurred in 2003 and necessitated anesthesia-certainly would not want to do it any other way! To tell you the truth, I never thought about it, as the thought of surgery on the eye without it would have freaked me out! I had no ill effects from the anesthesia. I also had some when a cataract was removed, again no lingering effects.

I think the important thing is to make sure any doctor you see knows what you have had as a medical history. I have always been very upfront with mine, and since this is not a condition they have seen too often (other than Neurosurgeons), all have really paid attention and planned how to proceed.

My best wishes to you.

Thank you for sharing Holly! Agreed - I tell everyone about my annie surgery, no more surprises!