6 year AVM survivor

Hey Chad! I really agree with @KrysG’s statement about early awareness and finding something to release it in a positive manner. I think that’s dead on fantastic advice! The physical activity not only gives a more positive release, but also time to work out where your emotion is coming from.

Everyone has a “tell” whether it’s a clenched jaw or fist or maybe a tightening of the gut or bouncing your feet, you just need to listen to your body to figure out yours. There’s a couple other things that may help, try to practice relaxation breathing all the time. The way I was taught and passed it on to those I worked with was to take a deep breath down to your diaphragm, hold it for a slow count of five and release fully through your mouth. You can build up to longer holding times but start with the slow count of five using your fingers on a hand to see. When we get angry, frustrated, stressed, scared, etc. we often stop breathing deep enough so everything tightens and it compounds our emotions. Oxygen helps and to get enough we have to remember to breathe.

The other suggestion would be to work with a therapist, especially if you are taking an antidepressant. Having worked in the helping field for several decades, I know the two work better together than just the medication. Look for a therapist that will tell you what you need and not what you want them to say. In other words, the therapist needs to teach you coping skills. If you can manipulate your therapist, they are probably not the right one for you.