6 months follow up angiogram result

Just got home after my 6 month’s angio this AM, which went smoothly. Doctor was pleased, but did not tell me my aneurysm was totally occluded. Not entirely sure about this as a result. The coils are not compacted and the epithelial cells have completely covered the stent, so hooray, at least no more Plavix. My next angio is scheduled for next year in August.

1 Like

Correction- Endothelial cells, not epithelial cells.

So happy for you!!! Yay. Like you I had my 6 month angiogram today and was given good news too. No coil compaction. My next angio is in 1 year. However, I was a little surprised that she recommended that I stop the aspirin despite having stents. I told her I wasn’t comfortable with that, so she said I could continue my 325mg as usual for now. Have other people he their aspirin discontinued after a good angiogram, despite having a stent?

I would be concerned too about discontinuing the aspirin, because of the stent.

Now that I am going off Plavix I am going back to taking fish oil and eating Chia seed gel everyday, both are natural blood thinners.

Hi Campanile, are you still on your Aspirin? if so how, much are you taking? I know the amount, 81 mg vs. 325 mg, varies by doctor and the way they practice. I’m still taking my 325 mg for now.

Sky, until next August the aspirin dose will be 325mgs and if all is well then I can switch to 81mgs.

It seems there is space at the opening of my aneurysm which has not occluded, but it is not significant, so it should occlude over time. I assume that the stent is acting a bit like a flow diverter, so there is less likelihood of the coils compacting. I am so relieved that I no longer need to take Plavix and that thus far I will not need any additional coiling.

I stopped taking the coated aspirin, because even that caused stomach distress. Now I dissolve an uncoated aspirin in a glass of water and chug it down after I have eaten.

Since I started eating a half peeled apple in the morning before breakfast and “drinking” the aspirin I have been able to stop taking Zantac almost entirely.

Oops,

Hi Campanile,
It is nice to not be on plavix. Dissolving the aspiring in water sounds good. Have you ever tried chewable aspirin. I was thinking about taking that instead.

No, but what a great idea! TKY

After three additional months on Plavix and full strength aspirin following my six-month angiogram, I asked the doctor if I could go down to baby aspirin strength. I now take that daily A long with omega-3 fish oil supplements and I, like Campanile, put Chia seeds and flaxseeds and my morning cereal.

Sky75 said:

So happy for you!!! Yay. Like you I had my 6 month angiogram today and was given good news too. No coil compaction. My next angio is in 1 year. However, I was a little surprised that she recommended that I stop the aspirin despite having stents. I told her I wasn’t comfortable with that, so she said I could continue my 325mg as usual for now. Have other people he their aspirin discontinued after a good angiogram, despite having a stent?

I asked the surgeon for a copy of my report following my angiogram. Everything was clearly spelled out in there. If you have any questions after reading it, you can always follow up. I go back for an MRA at the one year mark. I believe my next angio is not for another five years. It is good news for you though!

Hi patty, the doctor told me to stop the aspirin because the aspirin assay indicated that I was barely within the therapeutic range. Now that I know that, I will go back to taking my omegas and eating chia and flaxseed, which I had stopped before because on plavix my blood was too thin. I will see my doctor in September for follow up and will ask her to retest my aspirin level. I’m not definitely stopping the aspirin because everywhere I read it is recommended when you have stents. I will discuss that with her as well.

Patty said:

I asked the surgeon for a copy of my report following my angiogram. Everything was clearly spelled out in there. If you have any questions after reading it, you can always follow up. I go back for an MRA at the one year mark. I believe my next angio is not for another five years. It is good news for you though!

Sky, I wasn’t aware that there was a test to check the aspirin and it’s therapeutic effect in your body. That is interesting. However, I know of no one that Has been told to go off of aspirin after having stents placed. It’s pretty much aspirin for life after going off the Plavix. I also had to go off my many supplements while on the Plavix, but was given the go-ahead by my surgeon after going off the Plavix while staying on the baby aspirin. I was even told I could take ibuprofen now if needed for pain as opposed to just Tylenol. My surgeons nurse told me that Studies have shown that there is really not much difference between a baby aspirin and a full strength aspirin, so that baby aspirin would be fine. But, who knows – – it seems every doctor has their own protocol.

Patty and Sky,

I wish there was considerably more clarity and uniformity about the aspirin regimen.

I too have never heard of a test to check aspirin and it’s therapeutic effect on the body. It sounds like a good idea to me though.

Here is a link for more info on aspirin platelet function test. Both my previous surgeon and current one have run the test prior to my procedures. Based on what I read and what my doctors tell me they look at the ARU (aspirin reaction unit).

https://www.pathology.med.umich.edu/handbook/details.php?testID=1059
1 Like

I’ll have to check it out. I know I did have a test to see if Plavix would work for me that they did at the hospital after I had been on it for five days prior to my pipeline procedure.

TKY, great info! I read that if you respond well to Plavix, your response to aspirin will be similar.

I was a hyper responder on plavix and as a result had to take it every 3 days instead of daily (for the 3 months post op) I’m not sure why I am barely in the therapeutic range with aspirin. It’s a little scary. In have my hypotheses based on what I have read, but am not completely sure. Which is why I will continue taking the 325 enteric coated aspirin and talk with my doctor in September about my concerns. I will resume my vitamins and supplements, which I had stopped for the past 6 months.

Patty,
Just out of curiosity… Are you taking coated/enteric or uncoated aspirin?
br/>

Patty said:

I’ll have to check it out. I know I did have a test to see if Plavix would work for me that they did at the hospital after I had been on it for five days prior to my pipeline procedure.

Both my full strength and low-dose aspirin are coated.