17 mm Aneurysm in Anterior Inferior Cerebellar Artery (AICA) Treated Endovascularly by Flow Diverter 10/13/22

Headaches, Steroids, Blood Thinners, & Hemorrhoids, Oh My!

I just wanted to post an update on my recovery.

I had some headaches for about 1.5 weeks after my procedure. For about a week, I had headaches similar to what others in this describe – headaches when bending down to pick something up (putting my head lower than my chest).

But after 2 weeks, the “bending down” type of headache disappeared. (see Does anyone get pounding headaches when bending down? - General - Brain Aneurysm Support Community (bafsupport.org) )

I still have some headaches, particularly on the left side of my head (the side which had the aneurysm). Also, my chiropractor noticed that my left eye was kind of “lazy.” I definitely have notice eye fatigue even now, 3.5 weeks after my procedure on 10/14.

I notice that by evening, the tinnitus in my left ear is almost completely gone. I had a couple of nights last week before going to bed that I noticed that I could hear no ringing.

However, being horizontal, sleeping, seems to bring back the tinnitus.

I definitely think there is wisdom in going slowly.

• The first week after the procedure I took completely off from work. I really had 9 days off with the weekend.
  • The second week, I went back to work 4 hours a week (and I’m working from home.) That was still a bit of a struggle.
  • The third week I worked about 6 hours a day.

My work is with computers and I definitely notice eye strain issues. I would close my eyes during an online meeting and I would be asleep in seconds. Cat naps helped.

If I have headaches now, they are mild; I wonder if they are due to the blood thinners.

I am on Brilinta. Before the procedure I was on Plavix. I had headaches on the Plavix even before the procedure.

I also notice some very, very mild issues with forgetting words. It all adds up to just a lot of stress and re-adjustment for the brain.

Steroid/Hemorrhoid/Blood Thinner Alert!

One issue I wanted to note which might help people concerns post-op diet. If you are on blood thinners, you really don’t want to get hemorrhoids. It can be dangerous. See here from the Cleveland Clinic Everything You Need to Know About Hemorrhoids with Dr Michael Valente | Cleveland Clinic . You can end up going back to the hospital and messing up your entire blood thinner regimen which your neurologist told you was vital to stay on.

I am historically prone to hemorrhoids, particularly if I eat white flower. I always have been. In the past, especially before I began eating a lot of raw foods, I have gotten really bad hemorrhoids.

However, the steroids the doc put me on make me made me ravenous, and not for salads. I found myself eating entire pizzas in one sitting.

It must have been the steroids because my appetite is calming down now. But for a while there I could barely control my eating. The day after the pizza I saw more blood in the toilet than I had ever seen in my life. Maybe I should have called the doctor, but I kind of knew what it was from, so I cleaned up my diet and waited a day or two and things got better.

So my suggestion is, pre-procedure, try to think up a menu of foods you like, but which will not give you hemorrhoids. The steroids made me crave meat very, very strongly, but just eating meat can give me hemorrhoids too. So I would say steak salads are a good menu item. Whatever you eat, try to get some fiber. Salads are a good way to do it. The old Fit For Life books said you can eat anything you want, as long as you put it on top of a salad.

Raisin Bran helped. I don’t drink milk but RB is good with almond milk. Then go shopping for these pre-procedure. E.g. you can have some steaks in the freezer for instance. Frozen sausage. I buy a lot of the “salad kits in a bag” these days.

My mouth does not want salads, but my butt does . . . .

Also, I seem to be dehydrated a lot. This is from the blood thinners, I suspect.

All-in-all, 3.5 weeks after surgery, I’m doing well, and I see improvements in concentration, headaches, endurance, tinnitus, and other various aches and pains (such as from the arterial line) every day. But do take everybody’s advice on this forum and take time to recovery and go slowly. I had what was for the most part an easy procedure, but the fatigue afterwards has been significant.

I have a follow up appointment with my neurologist on 11/23 and I will keep people posted.

1 Like