What helps? Caregiver sucesses

My wife suffered a SAH left temple 10/1/2016. She is 56.
She is doing GOD miracle well. She can walk, talk and has long term memory.
She can’t spell (me neither but that’s a different problem) or read. She can spell aloud and even text but can’t read what she text. How can this be, and how can I help her to convert short term to permanent?

Hey TxJJ, I found this post that may help:

I did a search using the search icon in the top right for “caregiver.” There may be more helpful posts if you do the same!

Meli from Mod Support

TxJJ,
I’m so thankful that God has brought your wife through. My husband suffers from the same problem. He can’t read, but he can write and spell words. He just can’t recognize words. It’s very frustrating and he was in out-patient therapy for a year. He’s truly a miracle just to be here. When he’s(we) are trying to read…he has to spell it out loud to get it. His neurologist explained that SAH damaged the brain where the right side tells the left side what the word is. It’s so complicated. He also has peripheral vision loss. Be encouraged, they feel like it can be relearned with work. Just got to make new pathways and learn words by sight all over again. It’s tough, hang in there! Survivors wife

Have you asked her doctors? There’s so many theories on memory, I’d suggest starting with talking to the doctors. Is your wife home, is she in ICU, is she in rehab? Sounds like she may need some time to heal.

If you think of our brains as a big building with a lot of electrical wires, her brain, the building has had a few shorts in the wiring. Like having a bad switch or outlet that needs replaced. The information is still there but the connectors are fried. Her brain needs to reroute the connectors. It takes time.

Thank you ALL!
The link will be helpful there is a lot there.
My wife is at home. She was at a rehab center but there was some abuse going on so I removed her.
I can’t get my head around the way the medical people talk. They talk in months and years, I think in minutes and hours. They don’t seem to be in a hurry, but I am. I guess this idea is so new I just haven’t gotten used to the theology yet.
I have started something new today. I read (here) about putting up sticky-back tabs around the house with site words on them (Door, Window, TV ect). It looks funny but just had to give it a try. We will know in a few days if it makes any difference.
We are using a speak and learn app that has helped a lot. They say a word 3-5 letters and you type in the spelling. In the beginning a module (14 words) would take 45-60 minutes. Today they take 3-5 minutes, a big improvement!
I have to back to work in January I hope she will be safe to be left alone by then. We will see.

Hows things going TxJJ?