Working out post surgery

Hi all, I’m 6 weeks post clipping. Before surgery I was extremely active. My dr has cleared me to work out as my body is ready. I know to take things slow & that it will take awhile to get back to where I was. My problem is I’m too scared to start. I’m so worried something will happen. I’m ok walking my dogs if someone is with me.
Has anyone else experienced anxiety about working out?

Yes anxiety is so apart of this journey...you are only 6 weeks out...and maybe the brain is healing, but so much else must heal...namely your emotions...as you walk your dogs...(it's ok to have someone with you)...start to repeat to yourself...you are getting stronger and your aneurysm has been fixed..."baby steps" are ok...because I control me...not my aneurysm...you see...often it is "mind over matter"...

You are walking and I commend you...to continue...perhaps going further every week...as far as exercise...I would take that very slow and work up to it...little by little...

Three years after my coiling...I walk, run...and work out...but I use very small weight (poundage wise)...and it has made me very confident...oh and if something makes me sore, dizzy, etc., I stop...

~ Gotcha in my thoughts ~ Colleen

Hi, Aleki (pretty name) - I am not a brain aneurysm survivor, it's my daughter who will be going through this. However, I am a survivor of some scary surgeries and can totally remember that fear, Colleen is right go slowly and listen to your body.

One of the things that gives me some peace of mind is to always have my cell phone on me - not just close by, but on me. Because I live alone, a friend and I "text" each other a "GM" and "GN "daily so I know someone would start the alarm if I didn't respond in a timely manner. Also, I drive my dog to a busy place so if something should happen while we are walking there are others around.

I'm sure others will have more encouraging words because they too have had your type of surgery, but remember, the body is an incredible machine that has strong powers to repair itself.

Wishing you all the best as you recover. All of you folks on here are amazing!!!!

Mary

Im sure you were much more active than I was before our life changing surprises. But long ago I used to be an Olympic hopeful and once I had two open brain surgeries (one for a ruptured annie) and one closed for a total of two clips, one stent and coil, I had time on my hands and the solid belief that exercise of the body was going to help me heal my mind and brain.

May I suggest the possibility of Eastern practices of Yoga or (my favorite) Medicinal Qigong? At only 6 weeks out, I would suggest listening to your body and avoiding too much jostling to your brain as it recovers. Swimming and water aerobics also feel wonderful, but I would make sure someone is watching who is aware of your brain. :slight_smile:

Melissa

Thanks for the good advice Melissa...

Aleki
Hang in there…be strong The most important fact is that you “can” workout sooner or later. Your body needs your patience so it can recover and recover well. When youre ready to exercise, start slowly start wirh 5 minutes and see how your body reacts. Ask your doctor what type of exercises to avoid. Dont let fear control youre ability to move foward.

Yoga is great, but no headstands in the first year. or two. the meditation helps..try the gentle restorative class..

Don't worry live life to the fullest. Nothing is going to happen. You are now treated and your aneurysm is now fixed. So go enjoy life. I have gone through it twice in one year. In 2012 I got my first aneurysm ruptured and I got it fixed by surgery/wrapping. In 2013 August doctors found another aneurysm in my brain which is fixed by coiling and believe I am doing everything that I used to prior to surgery. So leave it up to God and fulfill your dreams. Life is short and God has given you a chance to enjoy it.

Fear can be very immobolizing. Anxiety, for me, was an ever present part of the healing journey. To help me through I always had a walking partner for the first 2-3 weeks which helped me build up my confidence. Once I felt comfortable walking on my own, I ensured I set a goal of distance each day adding a little but being careful not too be too lofty in my goal (my mind was ready but not my body) as I was still experiencing some dizziness. When anxiety would build, I would remind myself : I am safe in this moment, this (anxiety) to shall pass, I am safe.

ALL THE BEST TO YOU,

Be kind and gentle with yourself

I also had anxiety (and still do a year on) about strenuous exercise. I just listen to my body now. If it is something that can cause straining- like weights or really fast cycling/running etc then I don't do it if I am feeling headachy etc. Its just a matter of learning your own limits and perhaps building up more slowly than you would if you had not just had an operation. Build up your confidence by taking it slowly.

Good luck on your journey x