Why coiling, instead of glue?

Is there anyone posting here who had glue, instead of coiling?

Is there no one, because glue is not used very often or is it because the people who have had it don’t feel the need to post?

I’ve actually never heard of using glue instead of coiling, and I met doctors at top NYC hospitals. Is it brand-new? Sounds very interesting. Let us know where it’s done so we can learn something :slight_smile:

I have never heard of using glue to seal an aneurysm either. What kind of glue was used. I would be interested in more facts about this procedure.

I remember asking about the glue when I was initially thought to be a coiling candidate by my local neuro radiologist. It is called Onyx 500, and I know that they use it at a hospital not far from me--Penn State Hershey. Rather than filling the annie w/ coils, the glue is used. I can't remember exactly why the doctor recommended against it--something about it coming dislodged comes to mind and that since it's a solid rather than coils, that would be problematic. But like I said, I'm not exactly sure. Every case is different. Hopefully someone on here will have had an experience w/ glue and can let you know more.

Never heard of glue used to fix an aneurysm. Please informs us.

I had coiling AND glue. The onyx. December, 2011. My kids said I smelled like creamed corn for a couple of days! I also had the artery feeding the aneurysm permanently occluded. So far so good. MRAs every year. I must admit I'm not going to ride any roller coasters any more....I am 68, work full-time as a plant propagator. My energy is finally coming back.

Sorry, I have not heard of glue being used either. I had coiling used back in December 2007. It has been awesome and held wonderfully. I have no complaint with the coiling whatsoever. I am very thankful for the technologies involved, seems glue may be a new area we need to learn more about. I am assuming it is not used very often, personally, I would like to understand any options out there should the need arise again.

Thanks for that info Patty and Shelley. And OMG, “creamed corn” - how odd! But it could have been worse :slight_smile:

I had n aneurism burst then clipped almost died then a second one coiled on other side no scars never herd of glue I feel great now wish I would have went to doctor when I had symptoms but didn’t know anything about aneurisms I’m still disabled since 2010 I would love to go back to work I feel great eat rite exercise that’s what everyone should be doing then we wouldn’t need glue coiling or clips

Good advice, but not always properly consequential. My wife was a long distance walker/exerciser and in great shape when she almost died from an aneurysm in 2011. The doctors said she had a weakness from birth, and it finally manifested itself. The four hospitals she was in all commented about her excellent health as she lay close to death. Her excellent condition otherwise did no doubt help in recovery, but it didn't prevent the 6mm rupture. So kudos to you for your regimen now, but don't feel guilty about what is in the past; it may not have made much difference.

hambone said:

I had n aneurism burst then clipped almost died then a second one coiled on other side no scars never herd of glue I feel great now wish I would have went to doctor when I had symptoms but didn't know anything about aneurisms I'm still disabled since 2010 I would love to go back to work I feel great eat rite exercise that's what everyone should be doing then we wouldn't need glue coiling or clips

I called the hospital that mentions the use of onyx glue to see if I could get more information. Ah no, according to the woman I spoke to I would have to go there for a consultation. Not happening, when all I want is statistical information.

Very interesting! I have never heard of "glue" to correct an aneurysm but nothing is impossible as good medical research continue to go forth for "cures".

I understand to be more of a filler than a glue. Sort of like the insulation in a can we use to plug up leaky areas around the house.

Here’s the website for Onyx500 http://www.ev3.net/neuro/us/liquid-embolics/onyx-hd500-liquid-embolic-system.htm

I guess you could say this is a possible concern http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19895204

This is what our BAF shares
http://www.bafound.org/treatment-options-3

And this is a study recommending use http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijvm/2012/435490/

Hope these help

Campanile....

I know little about Onyx...and, I thank Patty for its name...my memory lapsed on a stone... when it was fairly new I wondered about it, too...because of my horrendous coiling with the off-label, off-record multiple stenting.

I quickly scanned it...seems like the main initial goal was for the AVM...the 'net has data: FDA Catheter Entrapment ...ev3 Onyx...in 2005....including FDA approval of changes in April 2012.. w/new data for Phys and patient labeling

My little warped humor...is wondering post-coiling...glue could be the final brush...and, perhaps prevent the compaction of coil and need for additional coiling...heaven knows it may already be in practice....sort of my fantasy...Maybe I could suggest it to the manufacturers...

At least it may open more questions for you to ask the docs...

In 1987, they used glue and staples in my surgical craniotomy.

They also used titanium clips…

Thank you Moltroub for this information. I have read these articles and find them wanting. My interest in Onyx or any aneurysm glue is if it really is a viable alternative to coiling. Are there fewer side effects? Is it less safe or safer? What are the re-operation rates compared to coiling? Does using Onyx eliminate the need for a stent? What medications, if any, are required long term with Onyx? What is the longevity of Onyx? While I know every case is different there should be basic information out there, but it seems impossible to get.

I really don’t want to be on aspirin for the rest of my life due to a stent, considering that when I recently took NSAIDs I think I destroyed my stomach lining allowing h pylori to proliferate. I still have not gone for a follow up endoscopy or colonoscopy, because I cannot take any more bad news right now. Equally concerning is plaque forming or catching on the stent.

I also don’t want to be one of the 1/3 that needs to have a repeat operation due to coil compaction.

If I did not mind the idea of metal in my brain I would be interested in the new web mesh device, especially if it eliminated the lifetime aspirin issue.

I had Onyx used on what we thought was the last annie that was located at the bottom of my brain. I have not had any problems. They attempted the to coil the annie and I had a stroke on the table. They scheduled a new appt. 2 weeks later and all is good. A special doctor was brought in for the procedure. Now I am ready to give up it seems I breed them (7) in the last 10 years. Two new ones in the last 3 years.

Like the others, I never heard of this. I've heard of superglue for closing small wounds, but not for aneurysms, so I Googled and found this: http://www.wndu.com/mmm/headlines/42442077.html

Glad you knew Campanile! So you know it has to be used on wide neck with some other factors.

You saw this I’m guessing- Indications, contraindications, warnings and instructions for use can be found in the product labeling supplied with each device. CAUTION: Federal (USA) law restricts this device to sale by or on the order of a physician.

Humanitarian Device. Authorized by federal law for use in the intracranial, saccular, sidewall aneurysms that present with a wide neck (>4 mm) or with a dome-to-neck ratio < 2 that are not amenable to treatment with surgical clipping. The effectiveness of this device for this use has not been demonstrated.

CONTRAINDICATIONS: The use of Onyx LES is contraindicated when any of the following conditions exist: 1. When optimal catheter placement is not possible; 2. When provocative testing indicates intolerance to the occlusion procedure; AND 3: When vasospasm stops blood flow. Onyx Liquid Embolic System for Onyx HD-500 Essential Product Information (EPI).

Have you checked NIH? I can run a search tomorrow, afraid I have to go visit my mother tonight in ICU (Triple Bypass). Let me know if I can help you in anyway.