Watch and wait approach

I am 66. I have 5x4x4cm aneurysm. I do not get headaches. I have a yearly angio CT scan and it has not changed in size in 5 years. I prefer the watch and wait scenario and do not worry about it unless sometimes I get a temple throb. The idea of surgery is not an option for me at my age as it is more risky anyway. Are there others here who just do the same?

1 Like

Good morning! We do have many who are on the watch and wait approach. I do hope they’ll reply. If your aneurysm isn’t causing any problems, I truly understand the watching approach. My Neurosurgeon once told me that many people don’t know they have an aneurysm until it either ruptures or is discovered upon autopsy (the aneurysm did not always cause their demise apparently). I also understand that aneurysms are all about location, size and type with some having more risks of rupture than others.

I do have a couple of questions if you don’t mind, is your aneurysm being measured in centimeters and not millimeters? The other is why do you feel that being 66 is too risky for a procedure? My reason for asking about age is because we’ve had members in their 70’s that have had an aneurysm taken care of by the endovascular method. I’m 63 and had my last procedure at 60 so I’m looking forward to being 66!

2 Likes

Hi thank you for your reply. Mine is 5x4x4 mm. I decided to watch and wait due to my age. I am happy to do that at this stage. The neurosurgeon said that the operation gets riskier with age. It was picked up incidentally on a CT scan for an ear infection otherwise I would never have known I had it. I was freaked out at first, very upset then realized I may die of something else first so why risk surgery for something that may never grow bigger? I’m sure if we all had full body scans there would be other things we would discover in their infancy growing in our bodies. That’s my take on it but I understand others wanting the surgery which also carries complications and post surgery problems. I don’t have mammograms now either for the above reasons.

3 Likes

Thank you for replying! I bet you’re correct in the full body scans, sometimes ignorance really is bliss! I am also extremely hesitant on having any more radiation exposure, mammograms are the last on my to do list. I did have two paternal aunts that had breast cancer in their 50’s or 60’s I believe, though they could have been older. My paternal grandmother died of an unknown cancer in her 40’s. By the time it was found it was all through her body. My maternal side I had one aunt that developed breast in her mid to late 90’s. I’m not sure why they treated it at her age, she passed a few days before she turned 100. I’ve asked all my doctors and not one has told me how much radiation is too much. I’ve had so much radiation that I often think I need to find someone with a Geiger counter. The only thing I have been told about my rupture is that dementia and brain cancer risks are multiplied more than the general population.

You’re correct in my belief that any procedure that deals with anesthesia and everything else a doctor does to our bodies under it poses a higher risk. I recall one anesthesiologist telling BH that there wasn’t anything to worry about with anesthesia for a surgery that was scheduled. I had already ruptured, had all the risks memorized and gave him the entire list. I was madder than anything about his minimizing the risks. I specifically asked about ischemic strokes and he admitted that was one of the risks, duh! BH had a stroke (2019) the next day. The surgeon said it was a good thing that it didn’t happen whilst on the table. The stroke led to a cardiologist who put a monitor on the heart to check for AFIB as there wasn’t a reason they could find for the ischemic stroke. I read the manufacturer warning about it needing to be removed in three years. The cardiologist said it was better to just leave it, his group never removes them, said it was complicated procedure. The new cardiologist is all for the removal and says it’s not complicated at all. It’s being removed next month as there’s been no AFIB or any other heart issues recorded.

I was asking my Rheum about the risks of sunscreen that I had recently been told about. Her response like other doctors is that sometimes we have to weigh the benefits against the risks. I get it. If I hadn’t of ruptured, and my aneurysm wasn’t what it was, I’d have gladly avoided a procedure. I’m not a fan of hospitals, even though I’ve had some wonderful experiences as a patient, I’ve had just a few that weren’t great and sometimes it’s those ones I remember better than the good ones.

2 Likes

@ Cassiebun Other than being 67, we could be twins with our aneurysms. Mine was found in December 2022. At this point in time, I tell people that the “cure” could be worse than the disease, so just doing watch & wait.
I have all sorts of on again/off again aches & pains, but I did read up on “symptoms” of pending/occurring rupture. So, just going day by day, ignoring the “time bomb” in my head. I did get a medical bracelet with my diagnosis, in case I pass out in public.

5 Likes

Just want to compliment you, Ralf, for the smart move of acquiring and wearing a medical alert bracelet that reveals the status of your current condition. :+1:

1 Like

I have been dealing with aneurysms for over ten years now. I have four of them in my brain, two of which have been coiled and stents put in. I just had my annual visit with my neurosurgeon and now they want to fix a 4 mm one we have been watching. It hasnt really changed much the last few years and I really dont want to go through that again. I am 72 years old and have had more angiograms than I can count and I just feel if it hasnt changed why do it. I also agree my age would make it riskier. Also it seems each time they do it the worse I feel and takes longer to recover

6 Likes

Hello! Similar situation here too. Mine is considered a lower risk and I’m healthy, so watch and wait. I also got a medical alert tag to be safe (a necklace) and it brings me some peace of mind. I talked to the nurse and a few coworkers in my hall at school to let them know if anything happens at work they can alert the medics. At first I was panicked but the best thing in my case really is to just find your peace and be as safe as possible. The tag made me feel so much better! Good luck to you.

2 Likes

I agree. Surgery carries risks. I never thought about getting a medical bracelet what a good idea. I’ll have to look into it. All the best on your journey. We’ve got this.

3 Likes

Agree. I was a mess when it was diagnosed but now I know if I get a really bad headache I’ll get to the ER but if it kills me outright I won’t know anyway. I just don’t want to live in a disabled or vegetative state as is what happened with my grandmother and great grandmother. My uncle just dropped dead with his but he was old. No CT scans back then so at least we’re aware I guess. I figure a lot of people don’t even know they have one before rupture or they may die of something else anyway.

2 Likes

This is my reason for watch and wait. Also don’t want to undergo surgery that could cause other problems. I don’t get headaches. I’m 67 have had a good life and done enough (not that I’m on a death wish) I know millions have gone before me and not had half this time even. Every good wish to you. If you don’t feel comfortable having the surgery again just don’t. xx

3 Likes

When my INR and I had the required discussion about the options that were available to me, he used the analogy of a three-legged stool to describe one of the options. He felt that the famiiar “watch and wait” option was incompletely worded. It should be, watch, wait, and make appropriate lifestyle changes, if need be, to help the aneurysm avoid a rupture.

2 Likes

@Peter @KCizek2 @Ralf @Cassiebun @Cheryl_B
All of us has to make the decision that feels right for us, together with our neurosurgeons.
I am in good health, my primary care physician always says that I am the healthiest patient he has in his office. I have always being very active, bicycling, running, and walking. I stopped jogging some twenty years ago and started to walk very brisk three mile long walks on an almost daily schedule. I am slim, but I have an elevated blood pressure that is under control with medication. In October 2020 I had the worst headache of my life, the classic thunderclap headache. I had an aneurysm that had ruptured. It was located on the internal carotid artery on my right side with a size of 3,4x2,5 mm. I suppose that if it had been found before it ruptured, the approach would have been “watch and wait “.
I am among the lucky ones who have survived and on top of that without any major damage.
I agreed with the neurosurgeon to get a stent and more coils six months after the rupture to permanently close the aneurysm.
I was very hesitant at first, and I needed time to process his recommendation. The turning point was when he looked me in the eyes and said “I can’t guarantee that it won’t rupture again, but it is a weak spot in your artery. Then he said but IF it ruptures, you will not survive!
I was 65 years old and in an overall good health with many years in front of me, living a good life and having a wonderful family and friends.
That’s my story.
But everyone has to decide what is best for them.
I also wear a medical bracelet and I have an Emergency Card in my wallet with information and instructions about the stent in case I need an MRI or MRA.

3 Likes

Surely you meant to say mm NOT cm.?? If it were it would be half as
Big as a newborn babies head. I would have it clipped in the IR suite but would not have a craniotomy that’s for sure

My $.02 worth as a rupture survivor, an OR nurse and a
60 Something female . Good luck whatever you decide.

1 Like

I did clarify it was mm not cm.

2 Likes

5x4x4mm

1 Like