VP shunts

Hello All,

I had an aneurysm that ruptured and developed hydrocephalus. They placed a VP shunt in, and I am able to remember things that happened after the shunt. Are there any members out there who had a shunt placed and were later able to have it removed? I would be interested in anyone’s experience with a shunt.

Thanks

As far as I know we will keep our shunt for the rest of our life, only if we ever have an infection and it need to be replaced, but otherwise I don’t think if everything is fine, that a neurosurgeon will remove your shunt.

I found this from the National Hydrocephalus Foundation: Http//nhfonline.org/what-is-a-shunt.htme "You should know that the shunt performs two functions. It allows fluid to go only in one direction and the valve allows fluid to flow out only when the pressure in the head has exceeded some value (usually referred to as the “opening pressure”). This system regulates the amount of the CSF in the body so that not too much is taken, nor too little.

Having a shunt is a lifetime commitment. Once a shunt is implanted, it is not a “one time” operation. Life expectancy of a shunt averages 10 years. However, a shunt can last 5 minutes to many years. It is wise to always be aware of the warning signs for a “shunt malfunction.” (Please refer to the Signs of Hydrocephalus and Shunt Malfunctions.)".

Hope this helps.

Thanks. Not the answer I wanted, but it is nice to know for sure.

Moltroub said:
I found this from the National Hydrocephalus Foundation: Http//nhfonline.org/what-is-a-shunt.htme "You should know that the shunt performs two functions. It allows fluid to go only in one direction and the valve allows fluid to flow out only when the pressure in the head has exceeded some value (usually referred to as the "opening pressure"). This system regulates the amount of the CSF in the body so that not too much is taken, nor too little.

Having a shunt is a lifetime commitment. Once a shunt is implanted, it is not a "one time" operation. Life expectancy of a shunt averages 10 years. However, a shunt can last 5 minutes to many years. It is wise to always be aware of the warning signs for a "shunt malfunction." (Please refer to the Signs of Hydrocephalus and Shunt Malfunctions.)".

Hope this helps.

Shunt lifetime is highly variable. I know people who have had a shunt for two decades without problems. I also know people who have needed a replacement after a few years. However, they have generally fared well with their replacements. Optimism is good. :slight_smile:

Hi, I developed moderate hydrocephalus after leaving hospital but so far have managed to avoid a shunt. If it gets worse then I will have to have one. Shunts are generally for life and according to my neurosurgeon, the reabsorption of csf can be faulty after sah and that causes the hydrocephalus. There's no way to fix it so a shunt for life is the only treatment for it. The sah has damaged your brains ability to properly reabsorb it so it builds up.

Thanks for the info. I hope you are able to avoid the shunt.

sharong said:

Hi, I developed moderate hydrocephalus after leaving hospital but so far have managed to avoid a shunt. If it gets worse then I will have to have one. Shunts are generally for life and according to my neurosurgeon, the reabsorption of csf can be faulty after sah and that causes the hydrocephalus. There's no way to fix it so a shunt for life is the only treatment for it. The sah has damaged your brains ability to properly reabsorb it so it builds up.

In my case the surgeon told me there were no alternative, well I do have a shunt, and I have to live with it. Small inconveniences but nothing unbearable. I got use to it and we’ll it became part of me. No need to be afraid it’s fine.

I’ve had a VP shunt for a year and a half now. There is pain when I cough but the neurosurgeon said that is a normal thing. He also said that it will stay the rest of my life but not shorten my lifespan.

Hey Jacque,
I too have a VP shunt. I’ve had one for about 26yrs now. The pain when coughing does eventually settle but it can take some time for everything to normalise. I have had a couple of other issues with it all. The first is a shunt valve failure and the other was a fracture (breakage) of the tubing. Both of them needing to be replaced as a result.

Prior to the replacement the medicos blocked off the flow completely to see if the device was still required. I was told it would be blocked off for 24hrs, but within 6 hrs I was symptomatic and it was then established that I still require the shunt and within 8hrs I was back having surgery to replace it. So it seems, yea, mines there for life. Intercranial hypertension can be a serious condition leading to coma and eventually death if not managed appropriately. Not having the shunt, that would shorten my lifespan.

Merl from the Modsupport Team

1 Like

Thank you so much for the information. I’m into learning about this new normal. However I’m very grateful for such successful surgeries.

2 Likes